“Don't judge a book by it's cover!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Colonial House Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Saint Ignace
Colonial House Inn
90 North State Street, Saint Ignace, MI 49781   |
Ranked #2 of 10 Saint Ignace B&B and Inns
Marshall, Michigan
“Don't judge a book by it's cover!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Having spent many years stopping in Mackinaw City for hotels, and using a major chain, we decided to head to St. Ignace. Room rates were very reasonable, especially for Labor Day weekend were you often have to book at least two days for any room. It was not the case here. We arrived to a host that was both friendly and informative of what to expect in town and in our hotel room. He even showed us a room in the house, as we will be traveling to see our son during the winter, and only the B & B is open. The outside may need some paint, but it doesn't distract from the warm welcome and friendliness of the owners. The cleanest place by far of all our travels.

Room Tip: Room 11 is spacious and romantic with the fireplace.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

48 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Madison, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

While the exterior is run down; the inside of the house is nice. The absolute best part is the amazing balcony on the second floor that looks out over the lake. We spent a wonderful night with another couple enjoying conversation and the view.

The breakfast was so so. The host, though brief, seemed accommodating. The price cant be beat for a B&B

I am giving it a 3 vs a 4 as I am an avid B&B traveler; and although accommodations inside the house were nice and the host was nice; it didn't seem to have the extra edge most bed and breakfast do of house history or area excitement or attention to details.

For a nights stay though you should not be disappointed

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

The outside condition of this inn may give you pause, but don't hesitate to go inside. It is absolutely the cleanest place we have ever stayed, including several 5 star hotels. We stayed in the Verandah Room on the first floor for 2 nights in July. We were very pleased with the room, the breakfasts, and the very helpful and accommodating staff. St. Ignace is a quaint little town that was a good base for day trips to Sault Saint Marie and the painted rocks. Also, the inn's balcony had the best seat in town for the weekend fireworks display.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

I was passing through St. Ignace and selected this property passed on other positive reviews. I had a very unpleasant experience. I was alarmed as soon as I saw the run down exterior and my room (Maple) was equally disappointing. It was on the top floor. The woman who greeted me upon check-in was cold. Did not introduce herself, welcome me, tell me her name...none of the usual pleasantries. Since I had been on the road for two weeks, I had three bags but she did offer to have anyone assist me. There was large spider web in the bathroom which was the size of a telephone booth. Sink was in my room. Checkout experience was equally unpleasant. A different woman (whom I had to track down in the kitchen) assisted me with checkout. Very cold, no pleasantries, no inquiries re: how was my stay, etc. I love staying at B&B's and even enjoy "roughing it" from time to time but I found this property depressing and shabby. I agree that location is ideal for getaways to Mackinac Island.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Des Moines, IA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

We enjoyed our stay at the Colonial Inn Bed and Breakfast very much and would definitely return. While the exterior needs some attention, the inside is clean and well kept. The rooms don't have a professionally staged interior (a good thing in my book). Rather they create a sense of having evolved over time....kind of like grandma's house. The upper veranda was available to us....there is a door at the end of a hallway so it does not have to be accessed from a room. It was a lovely place to enjoy coffee in the morning or a glass of wine in the evening. The breakfast set up is a little different and very convenient. Breakfast is served from 8 to 9:30 so you can go down whenever works for your schedule. There are 3 or 4 tables that are set depending on how many guests are in the house and how many are traveling together. Chris, the well-organized hostess brings out a cold starter while she prepares the hot portion of the meal. Chips, freshly baked cookies, and cold drinks are available throughout the day (a welcome feature!!). The free wi-fi connection is a nice bonus! Chris is a friendly, helpful multi-tasking hostess with practical information about the area. Mike the maintenance man provided a very helpful service when he wedged a block of wood under the kickstand of our friends' motorcycle. The asphalt was softening while we were at the island that day. His thoughtfulness prevented the bike from tipping over. The location of the Colonial Inn is perfect for a visit to St. Ignace. The Arnold ferry line is located right across the street. Several shops, restaurants, services and historic buildings are within walking distance.

Room Tip: A couple of rooms have views of the lake. Ours didn't, but overlooked the garden. It was very...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Terre Haute, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

I stayed here with a family member, and it was a wonderful place to stay. We had the Island View room, which had a beautiful overlook onto the bay towards Mackinac Island.

If you are heading towards Mackinac Island, the location is superb: it is right across the street from the Arnold Ferry dock, and within easy walking distance of the Shepler ferry.

The best part about the place was the staff. We found them extremely helpful and friendly and accommodating. Chris has all the information you could want about local attractions and interests.

A word of advice: if possible, stay in the Bed and Breakfast instead of the motel. The motel looks good, but doesn't have the breakfast and therefore the informative and interesting interactions.

Room Tip: The Island View room has an excellent view towards the bay.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Pinckney, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012

My husband and I have stayed at the Colonial House Inn at least once a year for the last 4 years. We love the veranda room! Our stay has always been pleasant and the view is great. Yes, the outside does need a little work but the interior is beautiful! Thank you for many enjoyable weekends!

Ken and Melissa Gibbons

Room Tip: The veranda is on the main floor, has a fire place and a sitting area.
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Colonial House Inn? Share your experiences!