“Great Old Style Motor Lodge” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Vitek's Motel

Vitek's Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Saint Ignace
Vitek's Motel
You added Vitek's Motel to your Saves list
980 N State Steet, Saint Ignace, MI 49781   |
Ranked #18 of 31 Hotels in Saint Ignace
Grand Blanc, Michigan
“Great Old Style Motor Lodge”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

This was the first time that my kids have stayed anywhere other than one of the "mega" hotels, so when we stopped at Vitek's we had to dial my kids expectations back a little bit, but not much. What they lack in modern conveniences, they more than make up with in friendliness, cleanliness, and nostalgia. If you're looking for water slides, free breakfast, or an in room hot tub, you should look somewhere else. But if you are looking for a clean room, friendly service, at a fair and reasonable price, this is your place. If we ever have a need to stop in St. Ignace again, we'll certainly be booking a room at Vitek's again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Troy, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

A spur of the moment weekend trip to the Soo Locks for my family turned into one of the most memorable times of our lives. My wife and I were talking Friday night about what to do for the weekend. And we started talking about the trips we took with our parents to the Locks. We would always stop and stay in this little “Cabin” place north of town.. come to find out my wife’s family did the same thing, at the same place even.. So as fate would have it, we made the trip from Detroit to St.Ignace. We checked in to Viteks. The same lady was still working the counter, 25 years later. I have spent quite a few nights in 5 star resorts. This is not one of them. If you want to make memories, this is the place. The beds are not that great, there is no telephone in the cabins, and the hot water is on a timer. But who cares. My family had a great time there. And I hope, my kids will take their family’s there when they grow up, and pass the great memories on.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Amelia Island, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

This is a mom and pop motel and mom and pop are VERY nice and will bend over backward to give you a good visit. You are not being charged much so keep your expectations proportionately. The rooms are spotless--operating room spotless. If you like thick, fluffy towels and fancy soap bring your own. There are regular motel rooms and two types of cabins: bigger ones for one family and the smaller where another family is on the other side. If you are a light sleeper bring earplugs because highway noise is present. Mind what the owners say about the hot water. A good cafe is across the street. The money you save here you can put toward a nice dinner or ferry ride to the island.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

We needed to be budget-conscious this weekend, so I was searching low-price options in the Straits area. I'm so glad that was the case, because we found a real gem in the Vitek Motel that I'm sure we will return to again and again. This place is how I want my kids to experience travelling in northern Michigan -- staying in a friendly, locally-owned place where the proprietor greets you like she's known you forever. There's nothing fancy here - it's budget-friendly because it's no-frills compared to big-box options. But it is very clean and comfortable, and we really enjoyed our two bedroom/1bathroom cabin, equipped with two small but adequate TV's with cable, two comfy full-sized beds plus a rollaway, and knotty pine and braided rug decor. Big bonus: an east-facing deck edged with cheerful daylilies, where I enjoyed the morning sun and a view of Lake Huron and Mackinac Island while sipping coffee from the cafe across the street. We walked to the main part of town -- a bit far, but we stopped at a great smoked fish place, the Ojibwa Museum, and an ice cream parlor on our way. St.Ignace is in transition, with some big new hotels where there used to be none, and some of the old motels in ruin with for sale signs in front. I'm all for progress and improvement if it attracts more tourist dollars to this great UP town, as long as gems like Vitek's Motel are still around to provide classic northern Michigan lodging for a very reasonable price.

Room Tip: There motel rooms were less expensive, but since there were four of us, the two-room cabin seemed th...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
baraboo,wi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Husband and wife team that runs this place, she's up front with you with you no ac but never needed it all the times I have been in this area, in fact Had to use the heat this time in the evening. Very nice people, very reasonable for the 4th of July holiday, and very clean. Great restaurant across the street Java Joe's and Joe is great with people. And a fudge place across the street We enjoyed the area and the people so much we stayed an extra day just to chill out. The price was right and you can't go wrong. I would go there in a heart beat next time I'm in the area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

We were having a hard time finding a place to stay on the spur of the moment, when we found ourselves at Vitek's. This place is immaculate! This is the only place we've ever stayed at where I can truthful say that our room was just as clean as my own home. Not a stray spider, dust mote, wet stained ceiling tile, lumpy, filthy carpeting, or dirty window or curtain to be found. How many motel rooms have you been in lately that had berber carpeting in the rooms? And their sheets were the softest and silkiest I've ever experienced. I must remember to up the thread count on my own bedding at home.

The owner was forthright in letting customers know that there was no air conditioning, no swimming pool and no continental breakfast. Just a clean, quiet, and comfortable place to stay for a more than a reasonable fee. Each room had one large box fan and another desk fan. More than enough to cool the room effectively. She made sure we inspected our room first before making a decision whether or not to stay. Not only were there fans, but the two windows we had, one in the bedroom and one in the bath were sparkling clean and easy to open - which we did, and kept open all night. If only there was a Vitek's everywhere we go.

We will NEVER stay anywhere else when in St. ignace! Be good to yourself - stay at Vitek's - you won't be sorry.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

A new summer travel season, and a another visit to Vitek's Motel. Stay here once, and you'll be glad to come back again. Stay here a couple times, and you'll feel like you're part of the family. Heck, they even take our drinks (when we're gone all day) and put them in their fridge to keep them cool! Where are you going to get care and service like that with one of the chain motels?

Not only is there the motel, which is clean, tidy and quiet, there's also tourist cabins... yes, just like the old time tourist cabins that once dotted the landscape before motels. These too are clean and tidy, and if you're in the mood for a throwback to the "old days", you'll love the cabins. Like having your own little house, nestled in tall, beautiful pine trees.

Staying here, you're just a little north of town, so it's quiet. At night, the traffic is almost nil, so it's a lot more peaceful than places closer to or in town. No loud ferry horns waking you up in the morning either. (Stay near the docks/town, and you'll know what I mean.)

This is all no-frills lodging. You get a good bed, a decent TV, and a restful night's sleep for a bargain price. No air conditioning, but every room has box fans for your use. Open the window, and the cool breezes off the lake will take care of things. Honestly, I've stayed here at least eight times, and I've never been "too hot". (Which is saying something, since I'm one of those "always hot" sorta people.)

Know it or not, this motel offers all you really need for a comfortable night's stay. Save the money here, and spend it elsewhere on your vacation. Art and Hildegard await, and will make sure you have a quiet night's rest.

Room Tip: All the motel rooms are pretty much the same, and all are good. If you want a little more privacy...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Vitek's Motel? Share your experiences!