“Good experience” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 31 Hotels in Saint Ignace
Michigan
“Good experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

This is a very convenient hotel, as it is connected to the casino. The room was clean.Beds were ok, but not as comfortable as others we stayed in on this UP trip.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

We stay usually 2 times a year, usually mid-May & early October. We have been coming here since they opened 5 yrs ago. We have never had a problem with the staff. Front desk, restaurant & other staff members are polite. Sometimes the Northern Rewards desk has a long line, they could use a little help moving customers through & we have encounter one elderly woman who is not very friendly, when asking if we have any food comps, you would think she was giving you food coupons out of her pocketbook but that is the only one & we try to stay clear of her.
The rooms are clean & if you get one on the lake side, it's a nice view.
The restaurant food is good but we noticed this past visit that the dinner buffet price jumped from around $18.00 to $24 per person. I don't know aobut you but we thought that was a big increase over 5 months. We ordered dinner off the menu, I had a chicken sesame salad & my husband had lasagna..it was very good & was about what 1 buffet dinner would have cost, tip included. The breakfast buffet increased by .50, not bad & it is good with lots of choices. The deli is good, we usually eat lunch or a late snack there.
We play slots only & they are not as generous as previous years. Seems every year we come out loosing more & more. It's nice to win a little to keep on playing but that doesn't seeem to be the case lately.
That's when we head to the outside deck, pool or exercise room. All clean & a nice for a break from gambling if you don't want to leave the property.
One complaint is that we usually book rooms 5 months ahead. They seem to have alot of bus tours & since it is a small hotel, the rooms fill up fast. I guess that is a complaint that nothing can be done & it shows that it is a nice place if they book quickly. Maybe they can add to the property sometime. The sister hotel they have is a big dissappointment. We stayed there once & it was smelly, dark, & old so don't stay there. We were not impressed with the condition of the Lakefront Inn.

And the reason we like to stay there is to be able to play when we want without having to drive there & leave..We arrive, park the car & don't leave until we check out.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Cedar Grove, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011

My wife and I stayed at this property for 2 nights and thoroughly enjoyed our room with the lake view. The whole reservation process is a bit of a mystery however because you don't have any option to book the lakeside room online, I just asked for it and the desk clerk said we were booked for one. To me, there's a $20 difference in rates between lake view and parking lot view but this is one of many management mysteries surrounding this place.
I'm going to keep the issues between myself and the property however our lodging experience at this location was very good and I highly recommend people to experience the offerings of this beautiful location. If nothing else, the clean room and beautiful views are worth the price you pay.

Room Tip: Try at any cost to get a room lakeside...I still don't understand what that takes
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

Easily accessible off I-75, located about six miles from downtown St. Ignace. Small facility, but very comfortable and run professionally. Room had a king bed, with an extremely comfortable mattress, and a balcony overlooking the Horseshoe Bay of Lake Huron. Nothing fancy, but new, very clean and quiet. Hotel front desk is adjacent to the casino and the main lobby. Personnel are very friendly but the front desk can be very busy at times and there are limited personnel to handle the load. Elevators are quick and virtually noiseless.

Restaurants are OK but menus are adequate, but not expansive. Limited breakfast choices but the buffet is also a choice. We are not generally buffet people. We would return to this hotel if we were to visit this area again.

Room Tip: Lake views are not spectacular and may not be worth the extra few bucks.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

My husband and I went to St. Ignace for a short weekend getaway. We had a problem with bug bites...not sure if they were mosquitoes or bed bugs but I was constantly itching and swatting all night. No sleep to say the least. The bites were the deal breaker but the other thing that left me wondering if I should have stayed here was before we even checked in. We witnessed a customer being harassed at check in by a rude front desk attendant (BETH) which made me very uncomfortable. The customer had given the attendant her debit card then the attendant had accidently pushed the wrong button and it put a hold on the customer’s bank account. The customer wanted it corrected and the front desk attendant never apologized, but started yelling that she couldn't help her and began harassing her instead about how it's policy and sometimes those things happen. Another guy came out (possibly the manager???)...and wanted to charge her card again to correct it. The gal wouldn't let them charge it again. We waited 15 minutes to be checked in because of this situation with this lady. Everyone can make a mistake but this front desk attendant did not own up to it and left the rest of us waiting and uncomfortable. I felt so bad for the customer...so humiliating! After reading other reviews I do have to say that we enjoyed the staff at the restaurant. We had pretty good meals and they were very nice. We didn't do the seafood/prime rib buffet as it was more expensive than last year. The only good thing is that I won some money in the casino. I just wished I had a better experience with the hotel as I used to love coming here! I can honestly say this probably wasn't the first time dishing out poor customer service. I know it's a casino so they probably feel if you don't like it stay somewhere else! Well that's exactly what we will do. We won't be returning!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

We stayed here as part of a family trek through Canada/Michigan. Like the other Kewadin we are familiar with, the one in Sault Ste. Marie, this property seems to appeal to just about every senior citizen in Northern Michigan. Expansive, free parking and numerous RVs present. Onsite buffet/restaraunt with many senior-friendly food options, welcoming service, snack shop, gift shop, lively casino. Housekeeping could definitely stand some improvement. We booked a Jacuzzi suite which was spacious but not at all clean. Well, the towels were clean, the carpet was filthy. The end tables, dining table, phones and countertops all sported some type of sticky, malodorous residue... as if they had all been hurriedly wiped with a dirty rag... and we couldn't open the windows for fresh air due to the large black spiders taking up residence there. I cleaned up the sticky gunk as best as I could before giving up and covering the surfaces with clean towels. Really don't know if the rooms are usually like this, and the rates were certainly low for this season but this was so off-putting I will never return to this property.

Room Tip: Do not pay extra for the suite... it is not worth it.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed here one night during our motorcycle trip in the U P. Our room was $80 and we both recieved $20 in free slot play. The room, hotel, and casino were very clean and everyone was pleasant and polite. There was free wifi and room service was very reasonably priced. The casino wasn't too busy and drinks were inexpensive. I would highly recommend this hotel and casino.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Kewadin Shores Hotel and Casino? Share your experiences!