“Great Location, poor everything else” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Michigan
“Great Location, poor everything else”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

The St Clair Inn is in such an amazing location. Right on the river, beautiful view. But that's where the good stuff ends. The decor is extremely dated. The food is awful and not the same menu as shown online or even as what's shown in their rooms. On top of that, it's overpriced.

Visited August 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“HORRIBLE”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

Horrible restaurant -bad service, rotten food. Dirty room. Fogged windows obscured view.

Visited June 2012
Utica, Michigan
“dinner there”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

We went to dinner there on 6-30-12. Its been about 10 yrs. since the last visit, which was a busy Saturday dinner date. When you go out expecting a decent meal and finding that about 4 tables were occupied, something is very wrong. We were greeted by very unprofessional hostess, who asked if we had reservations? are you kidding, I thought to my self. The young girl looked greasy, unclean with no basic uniform, and gaudy yellow fingernails. She explained the limited menu to us as she may have talked to her younger siblings. I could hear other dinner quests and the server say, we ran out of this or that. What do you have was the question ? My wife and another woman had a brief discussion. The couple said if you have a sense of humor, you will enjoy ,for what it was worth. This couple had been given an overnight package as a gift. The large black manager, asked that couple to leave, now, he gave them their money back for the room. He said they were disruptive to other customers. They were lead away without finishing dinner. I have never seen such a scene. We declined dinner, payed for our watery cola and wine. We went down the road to another place. The Inn/restaurant is in long term trouble. I am sorry to say, that we will not bother with this former gem. How sad!

Room Tip: did not stay overnight, there was a wedding or something going on at the far end, away from the rest...
Virginia
“Gordon Ramsey needs to pay this place a visit!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

In a word...HORRIBLE! My family has been going to this place for over 50 years but this was our last visit. it first started when I called to make a reservation and the girl didn't even know if they had a father's day brunch. Turns out we didn't need reservations as no one goes there anymore and now I know why. The greeter at the hostess stand never said hello or smiled and then it turned out she was our waitress. We were her only table out of three total yet we had to ask several times for coffee and water refills. our food came fast but was downright awful. the French onion soup broth tasted like dish water. my entree was the st clair salad and the dressing is obviously store bought. it was terrible. It seems as if nothing is made from scratch here yet the entree prices are still about $20. my husband ordered a salad that was topped with grilled chicken...according to the menu. when it arrived it was deep fried in the same batter used to fry cod. nasty.

my poor father ordered the baby back ribs. when the waitress came to clear the plates she asked him if he would like to take it home since he left almost all of it on his plate. he politely declined. she then asked if something was wrong. he told her that the bbq sauce had a good flavor but that the ribs needed about 3 more hours of cooking before being served. She immediately got the manager and he offered to remove it from our bill which we thought was nice. sadly we still dropped $110 here and I feel like I've been robbed.

turns out this place is up for sale and it seems as if current owner has all but given up. this is such a beautiful restaurant and a riverfront landmark. Hopefully someone can bring this gem back.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Detroit, Michigan, United States
“St Clair Inn Needs a Remodel & Cleaning”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

This place needs a thorough cleaning!! Its smells horrible and there was no service, had to get your own drinks

Visited March 2012