“Ranch & Waterpark Close to Chicago” 5 of 5 stars

You added Double JJ Ranch & Golf Resort to your Saves list
Double JJ Ranch & Golf Resort
5900 Water Road, Rothbury, MI 49452   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rothbury
“Ranch & Waterpark Close to Chicago”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Rustic charm with activities for all ages and activity levels. We stayed on an Unlimited Golf weekend with another couple at the Lofts and enjoyed a clean, spacious, rustic room with TV, coffee maker, refrigerator, and hair dryer provided. The only amenity missing was a microwave. There is a free shuttle to take you from your room to any and all activities. There is also an impressive inside water park. There is a pig roast and rodeo each Saturday night that is not to be missed. We golfed and took a trail ride for an additional $25. The Back Forty is a western town facade where the stables, outside pool, automatic bull ride, in addition to other kids attractions are located. Since last year Double JJ closed the Bakery, the Spaghetti Western restaurant, and limited hours for other eating options. You can either go highend at the Sundance Restaurant (Steaks, etc.), mid priced at Shooters in the Back Forty, or fast food at the Golf shop, Lobby cafeteria, and grill at the outside pool in the Back Forty. We dined once at Sundance for an excellent steak dinner. We ate at the Pig Roast on Saturday prior to the Rodeo (delicious - a must do). We ate lunch a couple of times at the Golf shop (great brats & beer). We also went one night into the town of Montaque to a restaurant named Harborside for a reasonable home made dinner with water view. Overall, we had a great time and definitely would return.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Lake Orion, Michigan, Usa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We, a family of 4, stayed for one night in a "Back Forty Cabin". While we really wanted to enjoy the experience, there were certain elements of our stay that could not be overlooked. Firstly, we checked in after 5:00pm and learned that the staff were just finishing cleaning our cabin. By the time we arrived at the cabin, the cleaning crew had left, but had not taken all of the evidence of the prior tenants with them. It was obvious the bathroom had not been cleaned. There was a pair of underwear behind the door, and the shower was littered with half-empty shampoo bottles and slivers of soap bars. Also, there were numerous black whiskers laying around the sink. In an attempt to not taint my family's experience, I cleaned the bathroom and made no mention of this to them. What I could not hide from them was the amount of trash around the cabins. Cigarette butts, cans, etc. Granted, this was shortly after the 4th of July, but still I imagine the property could have been more thoroughly cleaned. The next morning we set out to enjoy one of the complimentary activities--archery. I must say the two gentlemen who were overseeing the activity were great. They were friendly, and eagerly helped the kiddos learn the basics. What was a disappointment was the fact that there were only 4 "working" arrows available. This meant frequent trips to the backstop to collect arrows for the next round. Hard to believe that an advertised activity such as this would be so understocked. The employees working the archery range were apologetic about the situation and made the best of it for us. The kids enjoyed the rifle range, where thankfully we did not need to locate and re-use a small number of bullets. They had plenty of those available. With a proper cleaning, and more attention to detail, this place has the potential to be great. Maybe it is most of the time; but for the night we stayed there it came up short. But be sure to take a trail ride; that was well-run, fun, and worth the cost. Breakfast buffet at Shooters Saloon was satisfying and better than expected, but I had kept my expectations for the food quality low.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Grand Rapids, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

We had a business retreat at the Double JJ Resort. This included 26 people so we had individual cabins, the older ones. These cabins were nice but the water smelled so bring your own water for teeth brushing and coffee. Cabins were clean.
The facilities for office meetings were poor. The floors were wood and there were wood chairs that caused the room to be noise. On top of that the noise coming from the attached kitchen that caused us to be unable to hear. The kitchen staff was noise when setting up the food in the room and many of the plates were dirty and had to be set aside. The food was OK.
We went horseback riding and rode the mechanical bull as a group which was fun for everyone.
Overall this resort seems like a great place to take to take your family if you can handle the water smell. Lots of fun things to do and clean.

Room Tip: bring bottled water
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Twin Lake
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Our kids booked the Romantic weekend for our 40th Anniversary. We had the computer print out of what was included in our stay. We had to ask for breakfast tickets, and the carriage ride that were included. When we got to our room there were leaves on the floor not only by the door we entered but also by the slider. Counter tops and floors in kitchen, not clean. Our dinner was a joke. The food was really good but we waited for ever watching others around us eating and nothing. They offered us dessert for the long wait then charged us for it. We took it to go. When we opened it later the cheesecake had no fruit on it and the brownie was naked. We were supposed to get champagne in our room. It was a cheap bottle of wine with a twist off top that we dumped down the drain. The next morning we turned on the coffee pot to find it wouldn't work. Not the pot, the outlets didn't work. We filled out the survey and asked for a contact call, nothing. Our kids paid a lot for this special weekend! They did not get their money worth.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Mayfield, Kentucky, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

The condos are awesome, the people are the friendliest I have ever met, the Extravaganza Deal is the BEST!!!! Highly recommend this for families, friends or just a couple wanting to get away. Already planned my return trip for June 2013!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in the lofts, and my package was used via Groupon. I never heard of this resort so I just went in blindly.I'm glad I did because my best friend and I along with our kids stayed a weekend and it is the best family fun I have had in a long time. There is the indoor water park (fabulous), horseback riding , petting farm, rodeo, crafts and TONS of other activities during the day, etc. You never have to leave the resort seeing that they have dining options on site. It was an absolute blast. I'd definitely recommend :)

• Stayed May 2013
Canton, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

My family and I took a vacation here in April for a weekend through a Groupon. We stayed for two nights in the loft hotel. My kids are 9 and 12 so I was a little concerned about them getting bored, but it all worked out pretty darn well!
When we arrived the staff was incredibly friendly. In April, it was still very cold out so having the hotel so far away from the hotel was a little 'sucky' if you will - but it worked out, we just drove there.
The loft hotel looks rustic from the outside and both of the kids got a little worried. It is definitely a ranch - don't expect a big room or a nice television. Our 9-year-year said upon entering the room: "Well this is small." My response was: "You are here for the experience, not for the room."
We arrived on a Friday night so we used that evening to walk around the land and see what the waterpark had to offer from above. The kids had a blast playing in the arcade, too. On Saturday we spent the entire day at the waterpark. We were SO impressed by the waterpark. Do not let the looks fool you - those slides are awesome! It appears to be small and the girls were talking a big game about getting bored, but six hours in we were all wrinkled from not leaving the water and exhausted! The slides are awesome; we loved all of them! Seriously, it's a great waterpark. There is also a wonderful snack area with good food for decent prices in the waterpark.
Sunday morning we went horse back riding on the trail. That was a really fun experience for all four of us!
We also visited the petting farm and the sled dogs during our time there. My only major disappointment comes from the sled dogs experience. We are all huge dog lovers and looked forward to seeing the dogs at Double JJ. However, we all left terribly sad because there was one dog who was visibly ill - and I mean very, very ill. Both of my kids were upset the rest of the day and still talk about it over a month later because of how awful this poor puppy looked. All of the dogs are kept in cages and were excited to have people walking through so there was some fun to it. We understood that they are work dogs, so they should look thinner, but this poor animal was so ill he could hardly walk. I suggested to Double JJ that when the animals get to that point, they move them out of the sight of guests for care, but did not received any feedback. Seeing the dogs is a great experience if you love animals, but just be prepared for some heartbreak.
All in all it was a great time! I would like to go back in the summer when more of the ranch is open. A lot of the activities are only open Memorial Day to Labor Day (which is why I suppose the Groupon had to be used in the early springtime). We are considering visiting for a day to see what else Double JJ has to offer.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Double JJ Ranch & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!