“Don't waste your money!” 1 of 5 stars

Double JJ Ranch & Golf Resort
5900 Water Road, Rothbury, MI 49452   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rothbury
Detroit, Michigan
“Don't waste your money!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

We just returned from what was supposed to be a 3 night stay. We left after the 2nd night. We have stayed at Double JJ in the family cabins several times before (prior to the change in ownership). There is definitely a huge difference now, and not for the better. When we walked into our cabin there was a horrible smell. We opened the windows & turned on the ceiling fan to air things out. The lamp in our bedroom was broken & wouldn"t light & since it was very dark in the room we called someone to ask if it could be exchanged for another lamp. We were told "No". The beds were very hard and uncomfortable and the one pillow they give you is flat as a pancake and offers no comfort. We requested 2 extra pillows and were told "pillows are pre-allocated" and we could not get extras. The issue that sent us packing was the water. My husband started filling the jacuzzi tub in our room and the stench from the water made me gag & run out of the cabin. My daughter got sick while brushing her teeth. My son started vomiting & got diarreah after drinking some of the water. We couldn't bathe or shower because of the awful smell. My husband called the desk & we were told that everyone in our circle of cabins had complained about the water but they couldn't do anything for us. They would not refund any of our money and would not move us to other accomodations. Customer service is not a priority at Double JJ and we will not be back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Valparaiso, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

We stayed here with our 11 year old son and niece. They had a blast and were never bored with all of the activites they had to offer. I give a lot of credit to the young people working at these ranches - they were great with the kids. However, as far as the cabin and waterpark go, the mattress in our cabin was so hard and uncomfortable, my husband and I were barely able to sleep. My whole body ached the next day. When I asked the next morning if they had another cabin with a better mattress, I was quickly told "NO, they're all the same!" I was offered a few blankets with long strands of hair on them instead to try to make the bed softer. I had to purchase an air mattress and sheets and sleep on the floor to get any kind of sleep for the rest of our stay. I talked with another visitor our last day and she said they're caing had a soft mattress, so it seems the person at the front desk didn't want to be bothered with switching us to a different cabin. The waterpark was not the cleanest and the hot tubs were about a foot low on water. You could see the scum line in the hot tubs which wasn't very nice! The food is mostly fried and overcooked, and like the other reviews say, you have to drive at least 30 minutes to even find a decent pizza place. No real restaurants to speak of other that what the resort offers. While I was happy the kids had fun, my husband and I would never think of going back. I'm sure this review will get the resorts standard form reply...blah, blah, blah instead of actually doing anything.

Chesterfield, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

We stayed in the Back Forty cabin. First impression: cute cabin from outside. Inside: terrible. Cabin smelled, there was a huge stain on the floor, our bedroom door had a hole in it from someone punching it. The stairs going up to the beds were so narrow and steep we had to walk down them sideways. Our 4yr old fell down them and bruised her arms up. Our "king" bed was really 2 beds pushed together. Jacuzzi tub in bedroom smelled, bathroom smelled. Worst part: We went into a candy store there and my 4 yr old picked up a hot wood burning craft tool that was left out on a table---right next to tables of candy---right at child height. She got 1st and 2nd degree burns on her hand. Spent 2 hrs in Er and all they clould say was "were sorry she touched that" Really??? The only good part were the ranchers---they were excellent with the kids. Although now after readiong the "lice rodeo" review im sitting here worried that were gonna get lice---we were there at the same time. Awful...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
DoubleJJResort, Public Relations Manager at Double JJ Ranch & Golf Resort, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Thank you for providing your valuable feedback regarding your experience while visiting our resort. We strive to make every guest interaction an excellent experience, and I can see that we missed this mark with your stay. We have re-evaluated some of our operating policies in the areas you mentioned, and have made changes to our safety procedures to help avoid issues such as this in the future. Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay, and we hope to have the chance to welcome you back in the future.

Travelers are raving about these Rothbury hotels

Zeeland, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

We have stayed 3 times and love it everytime. I would recommend staying at the Thoroughbred Suites. I haven't stayed at any of the other locations but the Thoroughbred Suites are great! Food is very average bring groceries the suites have a kitchen. The waterpark is really nice and fun.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Erie, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

We spent 7 nights at Double JJ. There was so much for us to do and because of the shuttle bus, never had to leave the ranch. We have 3 very active boys 11, 11 and 10 and they always had something to do(horse rides,riding lessons, crafts ,wild west shows, games, swimming, bike riding, rodeo ,petting zoo,indoor water park,playground,tennis, tether ball, ping pong, etc) even when it was raining . The staff was always helpful and smiling. The best part was that is was SO AFFORDABLE. We even spent less than our budget! The rodeo and pig roast is a must! This is the first vacation the kids have asked to go back to!!!!

Room Tip: we chose to camp, the sites were large, the bath house was very conveniently located and clean.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012 via mobile

We met 25 friends there from different cities. We all came home scratching our heads. Every adult and child got lice. From the pool, the mandatory (public) horse riding helmets or the rooms. Who knows but one things for sure. Roping them micro steers sure ain't easy. We have all gutted our homes and shampooed with poison to rid ourselves of JJ ranches parting gift. They never even returned my phone message informing them of the issue.

How bout dat?

Have been going there for years but the steady decline in service, cleanliness and now this?

Never again parners...never again.

Sad actually...

• Stayed August 2012
DoubleJJResort, Public Relations Manager at Double JJ Ranch & Golf Resort, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Thank you for providing your valuable feedback regarding your experience while visiting our resort. We strive to make every guest interaction an excellent experience, and I can see that we missed this mark with your stay. Our resort has gone under many renovations & upgrades over the past three years, and will continue to make improvements due to feedback we have received from guests like yourself. Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay, and we hope to have the chance to welcome you back in the future.
Diamond, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

First off, I have to say that I looked at the website, loved it and my husband booked it......then I read the reviews! I was so skeptical that we almost cancelled the trip, which would have been a BIG mistake! My main concerns, based on the reviews I read, were the food, the rooms and cleanliness of the water park. I went with my husband and 4 1/2 year old daughter an we ate at the Steakhouse for breakfast, which included a buffet that came with our room. The buffet had scrambled eggs, French toast, potatoes, bacon, biscuits and gravy, fruit, toast, cereal and I think that was it. I thought it was really good. My daughter loved the French toast, I thought the biscuits and gravy were terrific and my husband loved the bacon and eggs, so we were happy. We also ate at the pig roast at the rodeo and loved it! They have hot dogs, hamburgers, pulled pork, macaroni salad, scalloped potatoes, really yummy applesauce and apple cobbler and baked beans. The only other place we ate was, I think Shooters, outside the waterpark and again, food was good. We did have to wait almost an hour, but I think they forgot to put our order in and we weren't in a hurry and had some alcoholic beverages comped, so that was fine with us.
The room was above and beyond what I expected, however it wasn't the room we booked. We booked a room which was supposed to have a queen bed, I believe and bunk beds. We actually got the king suite, which had a kitchen, bathroom, living room, 2 balconies and separate bedroom. It was extremely clean and roomy, so again a win! I'm pretty sure this room was at least $100 more than the room we booked and we were perfectly happy with it. Our room # was 203 and we didn't experience any noise, except for when the people above us used their jacuzzi tub, but that didn't last long and wasn't excessive noise. There was no one running in the halls, everything was practically new and extremely well maintained.
My last concern was the cleanliness of the water park and again, very minor complaints. The water temp is a bit chilly, but trust me you get used to it if you just jump in. This is coming from someone who is always cold! There were some minor maintenance problems, some evidence of mold/mildew, but in areas that were outside of the actual pool areas. My whole family loved the water slides, children's pool and I really felt like it was well worth the trip.
The service was excellent, extremly kid and family friendly. The other activities that we attended were the rodeo, which we loved. It was everyone's first rodeo and my daughter did the mutton busting (kids under 50# can ride a sheep for $20). Honestly, when will she ever be able to do this again and she can use it as a conversation starter when she's older! We missed the pony rides (shoot), but went to the old town and pet the farm animals and my daughter played on the playground.
Overall, I have to say that my complaints were minor, our room was awesome and clean, service was excellent and we had a great time! Trust me, I tried to find something wrong, because I had a bad taste in my mouth from the reviews, but the place really is great! There are so many complimentary activities that are a lot of fun and I highly suggest the rodeo on Saturday nights. If you are looking for the Kalahari in Wisconsin Dells or the Hilton, this isn't it, but if you want to experience some of the old west and have a great time, this is the place for you!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 203 in the Thoroughbread Suites and it was super clean and practically brand new.
Howdy Renae!
We're glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit to the Double JJ Resort, and we appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences! We do our best to exceed the expectations of each & every guest who stays at the resort, and are always pleased to hear positive feedback, which I will be sure to pass along to our staff!
We look forward to seeing you back again!

Been to Double JJ Ranch & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!