“Nice vacation spot for families” 4 of 5 stars

Double JJ Ranch & Golf Resort
5900 Water Road, Rothbury, MI 49452   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rothbury
Windsor, Canada
“Nice vacation spot for families”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

I went to the Double JJ with my husband and 2 kids (ages 12 & 14) for horse back riding. I had been to the Double JJ about 10 years ago for a girls weekend and at that time the Ranch needed some TLC. Before booking this trip, I knew that new owners had taken over and did some renovations but I still had read some negative reviews so I wasn't really sure what to expect this time around.
We were there during the off season so the ranch was not busy at all. Some of the activities were not running because of this. We stayed at the Lofts Hotel in a double room with 2 queen beds. The rooms were basic but very clean. We did walk around quite a bit to see what all they had to offer. During the regular season, it looks like there is plenty of activities to keep family busy enough for a one or two nights stay. The indoor water park looked half decent but if you are looking for something that would compare to Kalahari, this is not it.
The horse back riding was well organized and the guides were friendly and knew their way around a horse pretty well. They were happy to teach inexperienced riders.
We ate at the Sundance Steak House for dinner. The food was very good and the bill for the four of us was only $55 with a few beers even.
We walked around the part of the ranch where the cabins were and the cleaning staff let us take a look inside to see what they were like. The are very nice inside. Had a rustic feel to them. The bigger cabins would be ideal for two families to stay together in.
We do not golf, but the golf course looked nice and would probably make for a nice romantic getaway.
Would I go back again? Absolutely !! I don't think you could stay for more than a few nights but if you are looking for something a little different, than this is a good choice.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

We just spent our second spring break at Double JJ Ranch.
It is much more fun then Great Wolf Lodge and has more to offer.
Stayed at the Thourobred Suites, which has full kitchen, cooking meals saved money.
But we also enjoyed the breakfast buffet that comes with the booking.
Accomadations are great. Lots of free activities and some additional activities like horse back riding. The kids loved Sallys crafts also. As well as the hayride, bonfire, and smores.
The staff\entertations were all great.

Room Tip: Doc Holiday room was our favorite because the kids had a seperate room, bathroom, kitchen area as we...
Caledonia, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

I'll start this by saying I really like the Double J Ranch and its long history as a West Michigan resort staple. I last visited before the new water-park was added and had a great time. I realize the current owners took a huge gamble a few years ago by investing in the new water-park as a last-ditch effort to bring this resort back out of the ashes of bankruptcy a few years ago. The investment was worth it, as this resort offers a lot to do. But the service and upkeep need some refinement.

I'll also concede we arrived during the last weekend of Spring Break on a last-minute purchase knowing we were likely going to see greater traffic than the average weekend. The package we purchased was in excess of $500, including a 2-room suite, unlimited water-park, a free game of laser tag and a $50 food voucher (good anywhere on the resort). We arrived at noon on a Friday, knowing we wouldn't be able to get into our hotel room until late PM. We hit the water-park, which was extremely crowded. For those used to the Great Wolf Lodge (or other) water-park/hotels, this one does not compare. The few rides they do have are fun, and they do offer something for all ages. But they were severely lacking for enough inner-tubes for everyone, and many of them were 'flat'.

The package we purchased included a free round of laser tag. Unknown to us, laser tag was only being made available at 1PM and 3PM. Not wanting to waste the opportunity, we chose the 3PM time, which forced us to leave the water-park sooner that desired. We were told to meet at the doors leading to the outdoor laser tag 'arena'. There was no sign-up or time reservations...simply first come, first served. Or better yet, all come and lobby for who goes when. The employees in charge of laser tag were friendly enough, but extremely unorganized. They were quickly overwhelmed, leaving it to the participants to be civil about who was going when. They only allowed 10-12 people at a time. I WILL say the laser guns were awesome...retrofitted paintball guns...but the outdoor 'arena' is just an area outside the building cordoned off by a few painted walls and barrels. VERY dusty and crowded with people basically standing around shooting at each other because there is nowhere to hide. Disappointing.

Finally able to get our hotel room keys at 4:15PM and were delighted with the 2-room suite (actually two adjoining rooms grouped together). Plenty of space and beds for our party of six. The only downside to our rooms was the remotes for two of the three TV's didn't work, making it a pain to changes channels and volumes.

Friday nights are all-you-can-eat ribs at the Sundance Saloon. Sounds great! The main dining room of the Sundance Saloon is fantastic, with huge windows providing wide sweeping views of the golf course and property. Very pretty. The service is S-L-O-W, taking over an hour from the time we ordered our meals to actually getting our food. The ribs were great, but my wife's steak was dry (no doubt due to sitting under warming lights forever). Our waitress was fantastic...very empathetic and attentive...but we just wanted to get the meal over with. I advise families with smaller children to avoid this dining room and choose one of the more family-friendly restaurants (i.e. - pizza, burgers, etc...) in the main building.

After dinner the kids begged to hit the arcade. The arcade is outdated, with the vast majority of the 'games' geared toward dispensing tickets to be cashed in for prizes. Not a real problem, except about 1/3 of the games we played didn't dispense tickets or simply ate our tokens outright. The employees working the arcade were ambivalent and didn't really care to help. The only redeeming feature of the arcade is the mechanical bull, which costs $3/ride. Fun to watch, but it shut down early.

The breakfast buffet is great, with lots of choices, and it's open from 8AM - 11AM. But once again...the Sundance Saloon! Part of our part ate early because we had an early tee time, and encountered no traffic. But the rest of our party showed up at 9:30AM and had to wait 45 minutes to get seated.

Enough of the negatives. On the positive side: the Thoroughbred golf course is magnificent. Playing early-season rates (a GREAT deal), we had the entire course to ourselves. Spring hit early this year in Michigan, so the course was already green and in good playing shape. I highly recommend this for anyone visiting this resort.

Also on the positive side is the resort does offer a lot of activities scheduled throughout the day, aimed at all ages. We only stayed one night, so didn't participate in most of the activities. But the ladies in the group really had fun with line dancing lessons at 8PM on Friday night, a fun touch.

In summary, this resort has a lot to offer. They really are trying to make a visit worthwhile by offering so much. But all of this comes at a cost. The package deal we purchased was very expensive in comparison to the other water-park resorts in Michigan (Great Wolf Lodge in Traverse City and Avalanche Bay in Boyne Falls). The activities we did participate in were unorganized. The arcade needs to be updated, and employees trained to compensate for games that don't work properly. The water-park needs many more tubes/rafts for heavy traffic days. And the Sundance Saloon restaurant really needs to figure out how to serve food within a reasonable amount of time.

I wouldn't say we got good value for the amount we spent, but I remain hopeful things will improve because this could be a premier resort destination with a little more thought given to extraordinary service in all areas.

mukegon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

my husband, two children and myself stayed at the double jj recently. We were excited to get away for the night and enjoy the waterpark. After checking in to the lofts we walked into our room to find it a mess. My son needed to wash his hands, as i was picking him up so he could reach the sink to my horror I saw a razor blade and suspicious white powder on the counter. Immediatly my husband went down to the front desk to complain. When he got there, four other guests were also complaining about the state of their rooms. When my husband told the woman about our room and slapped down the razor blade on the counter they were very quick to upgrade us no charge. This is all well and good but on returning home from our trip just four days later my children both became very sick. I rushed my son to the emergancy room and found out that he had gotten hand foot and mouth virus. Since my children are not in school and they do not go to day care I asked the doctor how they could have gotten this. He asked what we had done lately that was out of the norm. Of course we went to Double JJ waterpark four days ago. The doctor said more than likely this is how it happened since it is contracted between children from feces and unsanitary conditions.. If you do not know what this virus does, let me tell you. My son has hundreds of blisters covering his face hands feet legs and buttocks. His hands are so swollen that he can not make a fist. He even has blisters in his mouth on his throat which makes it hard for him to eat and sleep. I am certain that the conditions of the waterpark and lack of sanitation procedures resulted in my children getting this. My husband and i have had four sleepless nights and have been disinfecting eveything our child touches. I would not wish this on anyone. A fun getaway ends in misery. Do not go there unless you want to have a dissapointing time.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
DoubleJJResort, Public Relations Manager at Double JJ Ranch & Golf Resort, responded to this review, April 12, 2012
Howdy Rachel C-
Thank you for taking the time to voice your concerns, and to discuss your stay with us. We once again apologize that maintenance left some of their supplies after working on the caulking in your room & that you had to be the one to find them. We strive to make every guest interaction an excellent experience, and I can see that we missed this mark with your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future when you return for another stay & to enjoy our golf course, and thank you for giving us another opportunity to treat you to a positive, remarkable experience.

Travelers are raving about these Rothbury hotels

Grand Rapids,MI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

The check-in process started our on-a-whim mini two day, one night excursion with a three-year old. We arrived at 3:30 and were told that the room was not ready and that check-in was guaranteed at 4:00. Waited ten minutes while their system tried to process payment. Ok. We walked over and saw the waterpark, which seemed nice, especially for our young son. To chew off some time we went to the arcade, located next to the waterpark to let our little one play a couple of games. The arcade was run-down with just a few games, mostly the ticket-type carnival games. Of $10 of tokens the machines ate $2.75….that is how old they are. Going back to check-in at 4:00 we were told that they don't have the key to our room and they don't know where the maid is. 4:25 we finally got in. I have to say the room (thoroughbred suite, two bedroom) was very nice and clean. The rooms were large and the in-room jacuzzi was nice. After being there for about 30 minutes the rumbling began. Deep rumbling, like a large truck sitting by the hotel (there was none), even the light fixtures in the bathroom vibrated. Ok. The waterpark was nice, enough for a three year old to be busy for a couple of hours. Leaving there we went to the steakhouse for dinner (who brag about serving USDA choice beef, lol). As others stated, the service was extremely slow. We always order the kids meal as soon as we order drinks which usually results in him being done about the same time as us. This time we waited and waited for dinner, he was done and saw the table placards with all the ice cream desserts. Why not, he usually doesn't get them, but we told him ok. Finally when our dinner arrived we ordered the ice cream, (vanilla sundae), and he was all excited about ice cream. About 15 minutes pass before the waiter comes back and tells us that they are out of ice cream….keep in mind….vanilla….children's waterpark and that we can go to the main building for ice cream. Take the placards off the table if you don't have ice cream. Unbelievable. Back to the room, as others said the walls are paper thin. Several times we thought our son was yelling mom or dad, but it was the people upstairs (through the air vents), you could almost hear their entire conversation. For the second bedroom, adjacent to the hallway, yes, the walls are very thin, you hear every person talking and every door slamming. I didn't mention before, but the second bedroom had a strange smell of old socks, the master bedroom did not. The petting zoo was small but nice (take quarters for corn), the playground at the back 40 was nice for the kids to run around on. Activities were a bit unorganized as to the time that someone actually shows up to start them (e.g. the pony ride). In all the "resort" is best described as a perpetual summer camp. The suites would be perfect if not for the noises and thin walls. The restaurant, with it's high ceilings and large windows would be great, if the food concurred and service approached being reasonable. Nevertheless, we would likely go back for another round since it is much closer than Traverse City, now that our expectations are kept in check.

Saint Charles, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

We visited the Double JJ on a whim March 17&18 2012. The person answering the phone when we called to book our family cabin (here are several other upgrade lodging options)

with horseback riding package pleasantly and efficiently booked the cabin and trail rides for us. Using the address recommended on the website for GPS users, we had no problems locating the ranch or the main building. The check-in was quick and cheerful and we soon found ourselves in our family cabin.

The cabins in the “Back Forty” are serviceable little places, each with their own little front porch, are set in semicircles with other cabins facing a large shared fire ring. The interior of our cabin was clean and rustic. There was plenty of room for 2 adults in a surprisingly large bedroom with a Jacuzzi tub and a king-sized bed and a loft with 2 twin beds that kids are bound to love. Just outside the cabin area is an old western town complete with general store, dance hall, etc. In regular season all these are shops and cafes are open and would probably be pretty fun.

The golf course was challenging, beautiful and, at this time of year at least, blissfully uncrowded. The steak house has a bar and large dining room. The food served on this night was a buffet with a lot of options and pretty good food. The main house has a little store, and several places to get something to eat – with an astounding variety (there is even an espresso bar).

The indoor water park was chock full of happy paddlers, splashers both young and old. I have to admit I was tempted but really felt an adult-only time was what it would take for me to actually go in. The outdoor park was not open yet but looked pretty cool.

We did 2 trail rides – those came with the cost of our room. These were booked to go out with all the other folks who signed up and the wranglers were an astoundingly cheerful and efficient bunch. The horses appeared to be very well cared for and matched to the ability and weight of its rider. The riders exit together then are split off into ride or canter groups. We were the only ones opting for a canter ride so we split off with our own wrangler at a fork in the road and enjoyed a relaxing ride through the ranch, passing through the Wicked Ranch which I hear is an outstanding event every October. You can book private trail rides for a little extra and I’d say that would be your best bet for a well-rounded and personalized experience. I would highly recommend this activity.

The property boasts a number of other activities (in both winter and summer) that intrigue me. This is definitely a place for families but there is enough here to entertain adults as well. I think we were the only people there without kids but that mostly meant that the things we did were less crowded, which was nice.

How this all works in the high season might be another story, but my shoulder season visit was quite pleasant. Give it a two-day/one night try.

Room Tip: Quiet time is 11pm so don't expect absolute silence.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

Amazing views, great customer service, lots of fun stuff for the whole family, and all for a fair price! The kids absolutely LOVED the indoor water park while my partner and I thoroughly relaxed in our beautiful condo that overlooked the golf course and lake! We had lots of fun discovering all the cool stuff the Double JJ has to offer. Some areas are dirt roads and have a real "back woods" feel to it which is great for the adventurous Michiganian but not necessarily for the up-do and painted nails folks.

• Stayed March 2012
DoubleJJResort, Public Relations Manager at Double JJ Ranch & Golf Resort, responded to this review, March 20, 2012
Howdy Travelling Family!
We're glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit to the Double JJ Resort, and we appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences! We do our best to exceed the expectations of each & every guest who stays at the resort, and are always pleased to hear positive feedback, which I will be sure to pass along to our staff!
We look forward to seeing you back again!

Been to Double JJ Ranch & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!