“Very nice waterpark & outdoor pool; but resort is spread out and needs upgrades” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Double JJ Ranch & Golf Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Rothbury
Double JJ Ranch & Golf Resort
You added Double JJ Ranch & Golf Resort to your Saves list
5900 Water Road, Rothbury, MI 49452   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rothbury
Washington Court House, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

We stayed in the Thoroughbred Suites which was spacious with our 2 young children. There is a parking garage underneath the suites which makes it nice on rainy days. It is adjacent to the building with the waterpark but there are NO hotel rooms in the actual waterpark building.

The waterpark is average size and has small slides and large slides, a lazy river, a basketball hoop area, a play area for youngsters, and a pool area. The outdoor pool section is located a mile away near the Back 40 and has possibly the best slide of them all in addition to a nice play area for toddlers with mushrooms and sprays.

This is a great place to spend 2 days while in Michigan but everything is so spread out. This is a good resort for golfers and horseback riders. They also have archery available and also a mechanical bull in the check-in area.

They also claim to have a softball/baseball field but upon seeing it, I doubt anyone is motivated to play on that slab of grass with two tree limbs for benches and a rundown dugout. The arena area can also care to use an update as it seems old and rundown. However if you want to see a rodeo, there is an opportunity to do so a few times throughout the summer. Then again, these may be good times to have the waterpark to yourself.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Westland, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

Our family stayed here for three nights with two kids age 9 and 2.Both girls LOVED it.I didnt know what expect we had never be there before.Our family loved it.My 9 year old went horse back riding three of the four days we were there.Both my girls and husband loved the water park because the water was warm.
Not to mention its not too big,so if your child is a few feet away from you they dont get lost in a crowd of people.We were there on a holiday weekend and it was not overly packed at all.I loved it for that fact alone.
We stayed in one of the suites and it was very nice,room for all of without being cramped.The rooms walls were thin and we could hear the people above us but nothing that I felt the need to complain about but there could have been more of a noise barrier between rooms.
The outside pool/slide opened while we were there and it was ok.Again my girls enjoyed it.Water was a tad cold but it was just opening so Im sure thats why.
The only problem I had was at the outdoor kiddie pool my daughter was swimming in ( I was a few feet away from her) the lifegaurd just up and left never let me or my husband know that he was leaving or that there was not going to be a lifegaurd or that pool any longer.Even though my child was the only one swimming in that pool if they were going to pull the lifegaurd off of his duty then they atleast should have let parents know.
Water was clean at both the outdoor pool and indoor water park.
My two year old loved the petting zoo and pony rides,she couldnt get enough.

Overall we had a great trip.All of the staff was friendly and nice.We only had two small issues one being the lifegaurd issue listed above and two being we called housekeeping for a roll of tp and after three hours they never came.When house keeping came in on our second day to clean the room only the garbage was emptied,and towel and sheets were replaced.They did not vacuum or actually clean anything.

We will be going back for sure.My 9 year old cannot wait to ride horses again.

Room Tip: Suites are the closest to the indoor waterpark.
Detroit
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

We went for a long weekend with extended family. The Thoroughbred Suites was very nice but we were disappointed. The description of activities was misleading. Archery was available only for one or two hours per day. Riflery was not working. We did not do horseback riding as it required lessons before riding for our youngest (more $$). The food was very good. If you want the staff to cater to you, this is not the place for you. The indoor pool was fine, smaller than some but we liked it. The outdoor pool appeared to be dirty but that may have been due to the non city water used? The golf course was tough, narrow and hilly. No computer access in rooms.

Room Tip: Stay in Thoroughbred suites- near pool and golf
Kalamazoo, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

We stayed in the cabin at the Back 40 which is just a hop, skip and a jump from the Back 40 Ranch, pool and water slide. We arrived early on Saturday around 10:30 and checked in. Our room wasnt ready so we parked the van and went to enjoy the indoor water park. I have to say I was very impressed with the water park. The water was VERY warm and comfy. The water slides were great and the staff was good. The only real complaint about the water park is that there seems to be no real good system for dealing with the different rafts. Water parks need to have some sort of lift for rafts so you dont have to haul them up so many stares. Anyway, we had a blast at the water park and even after only being there for 2 or 3 hours it seemed like we were there for a whole day. Geat fun! Also, the shops and food places in the water park area were good. The Arcade is decent for ticket games. However, if your looking for video games skip the arcade cause they really dont have any.

The Back 40: A little over a mile away from the water park is the Back 40 which includes the Back 40 ranch, cabins, trailer and camp sites and out door pool and water slide. We settled into our room around 2:00pm, rested for about 30 minutes and then went to enjoy the Back 40 ranch. The ranch had pony and horse rides, a general store, ice cream parlor, archery, the sled dogs, Shooters saloon and eatery, arts and crafts area for kids and a old time photo shop. The look of the ranch is great. However, it's dead. It should be call the back 40 ghost town. The JJ Resort / Ranch really needs to put more energy into the Back 40 ranch like they do the Rodeo. Stunt shows should be done every hour or every half hour, There should be a Pallbearer on the grounds fitting people for coffins for photo opps. Random gun fights, stagged bar fights, woman dressed up in their country finest. Acting! Hire Actors assign them a role to play all day and to interact with guest throughout the day. The sad thing is you couldnt even tell what was open until you tried every door. I would summerize the back 40 ranch as having HUGE potential but really falls flat, dead flat.

The dog sled team needs major work. The dogs are great but the area that they keep them in could use some TLC. Looks run down.

The archery was fun but awkward. We had to stop someone to locate it because you have to walk behind the building where they have service trucks and loading docks to get there if you are coming from the dog sled area. However, you could pretty much do ANYTHING there and nobody would notice. Which could be scary. At the end of the day the back 40 Ranch isnt run like a park or attraction but more like a sad little run down town on it's last leg where it seems all the local residents have fled to a more hip and fun town where there is actual activity.

The pool at the back 40 was decent, but not great. The water looked green and it was not warm. JJ Resort could do themselves a BIG favor if they drained those pools and painted the bottom blue and then filled it back up. Would make a HUGE difference in looks. Other than that it was ok.

On a good note, the Shooter saloon food was good and the service was great. The general store/gift shop was great and the staff there were AMAZING! VERY HELPFUL! The Ice cream parlor has real saddles for stools which was awesome.

Rodeo: We loved the rodeo, we had a blast. It would have been better had the riders been able to actually stay on the bulls for more than 2 seconds but I am sure you have good days and bad when trying to ride bulls. It was nice to see all the cowboys and cowgirls out riding their horses for the show but makes me wonder were all these people were when we were bored at the ranch and how much fun it would have been had they been there acting rolls out.

I would have so much fun coordinating and planning out activities there. Like I said so much potential but falling so short.

The only bad thing abou the rodeo was that when we booked our room we were told that the new addition to the rodeo was horse rides and games. We were also told that they would all be free to play with our purchase of our stay. I saw a ticket booth when We arrived to a double checked and I was again told that we didnt need tickets for the games because we had the right wrist bands. Then a short, young "activity coordinator" came over and told me I couldnt play a game without tickets when I tried to play the basketball game. I was told that our wristbands dont grant us free games or rides. This screams bait and switch, and miscommunication between staff and management. Oh how I would love to run this resort. It's comical how much potential the Double JJ has and how clueless they seem about it.

All that a side, I would come back maybe for a shorter stay but mostly just to use the waterpark. The resort has so much potential ....

Room Tip: Book a room at the suites to walk to waterpark
Ogden Dunes, In
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2011

This trip was for our son’s birthday weekend. We stayed at the Thoroughbred Suites. The room was very spacious and very clean with a loft upstairs for the kids with their own full bathroom. We had a full kitchen and in our own bedroom, a whirlpool tub, and another full bathroom. You could have lived there. It was a condo/apartment. More than a home away from home. We were able to park in an underground heated parking garage on a snowy weekend and didn’t have to deal with the weather.
The staff was Great! The water park kept the kids entertained the entire three days. Jeff the lifeguard was a lot of fun! We all had a blast! And from talking to everyone in the outdoor hot tub, they were enjoying themselves as much as we were.
Did you ever come home from a weekend and wish you were still there? That’s how we felt when we came home from Double JJ. Can’t wait to go back next winter and hopefully this time for 2 winter weekends!
The Double JJ is our favorite water park, and we’ve been to quite a few.

The Kosteskie Family

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2011

We stayed for one night, on the way to a lacrosse tournament in Brighton and the kids had a blast! The resort was very nice, the western theme was adorable and the staff was awesome! The entire resort was very clean and the entire staff was friendly and helpful. We went prior to Halloween and they had a haunted house village set up across the street. It was an additional charge and a bit pricey (even by Chicago standards), but they were well done and the kids had a blast! The "Old West" town, down the road was done so well (loved the theme, decor..) and there was so much for the kids to do at the Fall Fest there. They loved all of the games and the animals and especially loved playing with and walking the sled dogs! I'd love to go back during the summer because the outdoor swimming hole looked like alot of fun! We look to a longer stay next time!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2011

My family and I have been to Double JJ Resort twice and are planning on going a third time.
I have one teenage girl who is 14 and a 11 year old boy. I always let them bring friend(s)and it's always a good time! The waterpark is a blast! Both of my children love plummeting down the tall waterslides into the warm water at the bottom. My kids spend at least 7 hours at the waterpark each time we go and never get bored. Although the
food is a little bit pricey (I don't know a resort who's food isn't), the overall taste is good. My kids also thought the arcade was pretty fun! They had a ton of games and lots of prizes you can get with the tickets you win while playing. The staff members are all very funny and nice. My children would always ask to get a push down the slides and the staff would happily do it! There are life guards almost everywhere in this park so you never need to worry about drowning, bullying, etc. An example of the fantastic staff at work is when my daughters friend somehow cut her finger open in the waterpark and all they had to do was walk to the first aid office and the workers in there made it all better. The Resort was overall pretty clean, even the bathrooms. I have recommended Double JJ to many of my friends and those who went loved it! I am taking my extended family there for a third time in a few weeks and we are all extremely excited to have another plesant experience at the Double JJ!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to Double JJ Ranch & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!