“Horrible experience” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Roseville
Finland
“Horrible experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I booked this hotel because of the good reviews, but now I honestly think that these good review can't be legit. I stayed here for two nights in December, I have stayed before at various Extended Stay Americas but after this I'm not returning to the whole chain.

First of all, I had to wait 5 minutes to get attention from staff to check me in and after that I entered into a dirty room. The bed was made but I honestly think that the sheets weren't changed. There were all sort of hair everywhere. After my complain, they did change the sheets. There were also all sort of dirt on the floor, like set of extension eye lashes. The walls were dirty and had stains everywhere. Everything had stains. It was nasty.

Bathroom included only one soap, not even shampoo. Just one soap bar.

There is no staff at night time, so there is no rules. I heard fighting in the hallway and some weed was smoked also many times during the night. Dogs were barking also. It was just horrible. I slept just few hours because the hotel doesn't care.

Yes, there were also good things. The location. It's convenient. Close to lot's of shops, restaurants and highways. It was also cheap. There is my two stars for this hotel. Everything else was just horrible.

This hotel has really some potential, but at this level you should avoid it. I only recommend this if you want to party and crash things and smoke some weed. They are not there at night time, so they don't care what you do. Wild west after 11 pm.

What the hotel should do? Raise the prices, hire staff for night time and clean the rooms properly. This could have been good, but it was not. It was horrible.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
RDO_Sarah_L, Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Roseville, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us at Extended Stay America Detroit – Roseville. I sincerely apologize for the five minute wait time and the room condition you described is totally unacceptable to me and not at all representative of our quality standards. We evaluate each room prior to check-ins. In response to your feedback I have reviewed our standards and policies with our housekeeping team and front desk personnel to ensure this does not happen again. We would like to clarify that our office hours are from 7:00a.m-11:00p.m.and if you need anything after hours, you must dial “0” for assistance, our front desk associates are available to assist guest 24 hours a day. I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. I invite you to contact me at ros@extendedstay.com if you have any additional comments. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you’re in the area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Ada, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel from 11-1 to 11-11. I usually stay at Extended stays for my business trips, most of the extended stays i stay at are good, but this one was not. Room smelled and was not clean. Air conditioner would not properly cool the room, light next to the bed would not work so i had to move a desk lamp over to my bed. Many nights it smelled like pot was being smoked in other rooms when i walked down the hall at night. My last night, which was a Saturday night, the lady staying in a room above me was up running and jumping up and down in here room from 1:30 to about 4 in the morning. She was also flashing people out in the parking lot. Needless to say i did not get much sleep that night, i should have called the police, but for some reason i did not. On a good note, the staff was friendly.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
RDO_Sarah_L, Owner at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Roseville, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your experience. Due to our committment to providing great guest service, I was pleased to read your comments about the friendliness of our staff. Given this committment, it was with great concern that I read the rest of your account. Please accept my sincerest apologies that your stay wasn't enjoyable. Please know that we have strict quality control standards that are meant to prevent an unacceptable situation like yours from occurring. All rooms are regularly cleaned and disinfected upon a guest's checkout as well as during applicable periods of the stay, then inspected by a manager who determines if it meets our quality standards. Obviously, your experience indicates that our system broke down. In response, I have met with hotel management and staff to find out why and to determine a system for preventing a repeat occurrence. The issues you spoke of concerning the odors and fellow guests are definitely something we are looking into as well. I apologize you had to experience that on top of everything else. Although it is unusual for a guest to have the experience you did while staying with us, we would like to use your account to help us make our hotel even better. Again, I am deeply sorry that you did not have a completely enjoyable stay at our hotel, and I promise that we are focused on total guest satisfaction every day. I appreciate you sharing your experience. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me with any further questions or concerns.
Troy, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

My difficult-to-please mother-in-law stayed there this summer and, for once, had little to complain about. It was supposed to be temporary until she could find an apartment for the summer but the friendly staff, reasonable rates, and nice people staying at the hotel gave her no reason to look for apartment. Her only minor complaint was that the room was a little small but it had everything she needed, especially the friendly staff that made her feel special. What was supposed to be a short stay lasted 6 months until the cold weather chased her back to Florida. Thank you for keeping her happy- it's something I've never been able to do!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
RDO_Sarah_L, Owner at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Roseville, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
What a nice review! Thank you so much for sharing your feedback with us. I am thrilled we were able to take care of your mother in law and provide her with a home away from home for 6 months. It sounds like our rooms and staff were a good fit for her. I appreciate you posting your comments. Thank you for the positive feedback and the business.
Marietta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

I visited some friends in Detroit and the Extended Stay on Thirteen Mile Road was a convenient location for us to stay. We had called ahead to say we were arriving early and the person that met us at the front desk was very helpful. She explained everything we needed to know as far as the charges were concerned and answered all our questions. We felt very comfortable in the room although the decor could us some updates. Although it was just a short stay, Elisa made us feel like our business was appreciated. I would return to this hotel just because I feel welcomed by the staff and safe at the location.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
RDO_Sarah_L, Owner at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Roseville, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Thank you for your review of your stay with us. We appreciate your feedback. I know how reassuring it must be to feel at home and safe at a hotel so I am happy we were able to provide that for you. Thank you for sharing your experience at our Roseville location. We hope you will come back and see us again soon.
Roseville, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

I checked in on September 7th and out on September 28th. I was greeted warmly and my room, 2 beds and couch, etc., was clean and large. I am in a wheelchair and this handicapped room worked well for me.

I can't say enough about the staff, especially Teanta, All were most cordial and helpful, from Teanta convincng me that this was the hotel I needed to stay at, to holding doors for me (you really do need an automatic door when you upgrade). Yes, the place is dated, but they do a good job keeping it clean and will be updating soon, from what I was told.

As to the other "tenants", some were slobs, throwing trash on the ground and putting cigarettes out on the cement, when a convenient trash recepticle/trash/can was right there! The staff did all the could though to keep the place picked up.

All in all, I thought this was a great fit for me and others as well. Highly recommend it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Sarah L, Owner at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Roseville, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Thank you so much for your posting. I was very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and our hotel worked out so well for you. Thank you for your kind words regarding our staff, especially Teanta. We strive to provide great guest service so it's wonderful to hear we did just that in your case. I am so sorry for the issue with other guests. I can completely understand how frustrating that would be. I have spoken to the staff about this as well. Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to have you back again soon.
Raleigh, NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

In many ways, Detroit is a post-apocalyptic, third-world city, and this hotel fits right in:

- When we checked in, a loud disembodied voice from their security service checked in with the front desk to make sure everything was OK.
- Room decor was dated (circa 1974)
- Room smelled bad
- Tile around toilet was cracked, with apparent attempt to fix using white-out and crazy glue
- Window locks are flimsy (could easily break in using a wet toothpick)
- Had to pin the curtains shut for privacy
- Air conditioner sounded like a 1974 Soviet helicopter trying (unsuccessfully) to take off. We had to turn it off in order to sleep.

As sad as it is, most hotels in and around Detroit are just as bad.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Roseville, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay of our hotel. Given our company's commitment to superior guest satisfaction, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. Please understand how truly sorry I am.

The experience you described is truly regrettable. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I have brought each of the issues you expressed to the attention of our staff. The voice you heard upon arrival was a security check the hotel recieves from our security monitoring system. I can completely understand how off-putting that would be when arriving in the lobby and I apologize.

There is no excuse for the room conditions you experienced. In addition to counselign our staff, we are also undergoing an upgrade to our Michigan properities. I do hope you will try our hotel again so we can make it up to you.

Again, I am deeply sorry that you did not have a completely enjoyable stay at our hotel, and I promise that we are focused on total guest satisfaction every day. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me at this hotel or to our guest relations team directly by visiting our website and clicking the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. I do hope that you will let me demonstrate our redoubled efforts in the future here.
Saint Clair Shores, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Really nice and Clean Rooms, the Staff was very Friendly too, and Michelle at the front Desk was a big help and i would tell everybody i know how great everything was here. My family and I are going to plan a trip again sometime soon, and the first place we will try to book with will be Extended Stay America - Detroit- Roseville or one of other Extended Stay America, bc of how clean and friendly the staff was and how close the Hotel is from everything around here,

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Roseville, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Thank you so much for your review. I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We really appreciate your business and we look forward to having you stay with us again. Exceptional guest service and clean rooms - this is what we strive for so I was so happy to hear we hit the mark with your stay!! Thank you and we look forward to serving you again soon!

Been to Extended Stay America - Detroit - Roseville? Share your experiences!