“Clean & comfortable, friendly staff and a great location.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #20 of 26 Hotels in Romulus
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Clean & comfortable, friendly staff and a great location.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2010

I've stayed at the Clarion in Romulus about 8 times. The combination of price and amenities coupled with overall cleanliness of the hotel makes this hotel my choice when staying near the Detroit airport.

This hotel is not without flaws. The decor has not been updated in about 10 years or so, and the wall paper in one of the rooms I stayed in could use some repair. I do not consider these to be serious problems, but I mention them because some people may find these to be show stoppers as far as to what they may consider in an excellent hotel.

I would have no problem recommending this hotel to friends and family. It is located in a safe well lit area.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
London, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2010

Trying to fly out of Detroit to Nashville and the flight was canceled - Delta provided these accomodations rather than fly us out at a scheduled time (for what reason I still do not clearly know).
The staff was fine, but everything else was lacking; the bed had this crazy angle on it - probably someone had been bouncing on it for hours. My feet were above my head. It was a little comical after the fact but I just couldn't stay because of the noise, antiquated furnishings, and filth.
Decided at 11pm to leave, take the shuttle back to the airport to retrieve my vehicle and then drive to the next closest Holiday Inn (which I was familiar with) for a short sleep before my flight left the next morning.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Saginaw, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2010 via mobile

This hotel REALLY requires maintenance on the rooms. It appears that the public areas were recently redone but our room definitely was not. Smoke detector literally hanging by a wire from a large hole in the wall...mold EVERYWHERE, curtains filthy, etc, etc. With so many choices at Detroit Metro, I would definitely pick something else!

• Stayed October 2010
San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2010

Was initially hesitant because of other reviews, however fears unfounded. Yes, in general this property "has character" (i.e. is not the newest, unlike paint wallpaper makes a quick overhaul not so easy) it is clean and comfortable where it matters (=bed). Bathroom with tiles, flowered wallpaper, well-grouted and no mould anywhere. Double-pane windows that can be opened. This is an aged hotel with very good value, not scary.
Did not get the Wifi to work despite strong signal (provider ovation used some Cisco equipment not compatible with older laptops). Hotel charges a 1$ safe insurance fee. Speedy checkin and checkout. Shuttle from Hotel to airport runs every 30minutes, 24h. Continental breakfast complimentary and OK, option to upgrade to hot breakfast for 5.95$.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Salt Lake City
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2010

Decided to try to save the company some money by finding a hotel close to the airport for a low price. They also needed to have a free airport shuttle. Check and check.

So, the shuttle driver picks us up, is very grumpy and demands tips. I did not give him a tip as he was too grumpy and didn't help me with my bags anyway.
Check-in was a joke. There were lots of cancelled flights that night resulting in a line of people with vouchers for the hotel, but no reservations. Their check-in took forever and I waited in line for over an hour to check in. I had a reservation and was checked in within one minute. There was only one employee checking people in, ridiculous. There should have been two lines, one for people with reservations, like me, and one for those who did not have a reservation.
I was so tired when I check in I didn't notice the wrinkled, stained carpet in the hallways, even though my rolling suitcase was bouncing all the way down the hall. I knew the hotel was cheap and bedbugs have been on the rise lately, so I stripped the sheets to check for bugs before I went to sleep. Didn't find any. Guess I didn't search hard enough. Woke up in the morning with bed bug bites on the tops of my feet.
The breakfast buffet was not good. The food was flavorless and bland.
I checked out of this hotel and went to the Marriott Courtyard across the street, which was 100% better in every way. Will never stay at a Clarion hotel again.

Learned my lesson in trying to save money.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Flint, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2010

I wished I read the reviews before booking. Never again do I stay in this dive. The rooms are run down. I was willing to tolerate it only because of the good prive on the Sleep, Park, and Fly program. Only problem is they don't give a damn about picking you up at the airport. I waited an hour and ten minutes - I could have been home in that time. The worst thing about the horrible service was the series of lies the staff told rather than the simple truth - there really isn't a shuttle every 30 minutes - The driver is on call. BTW I DID call as soon as I hit the shuttle pickup point - an hour and ten minutes wait after making the call no one ever told me needed to be made.

When I made my complaint to Choice - the parent company, first I had to edit my complaint to fit within their limits - just what you want to ask an angry customer to do. THEN I got a promise to respond in 7 business days. I will spend those 7 days posting this complain all over the internet - 7 days my butt.

I travel 16 weeks every year and NEVER again do I touch any hotel affiliated with Choice.

There - I feel better.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Kalamazoo, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2010

I have stayed at this hotel three times now. It is great for an overnight before an early morning flight. The rooms could be a tad cleaner and i dont feel like the air/heat worked very well the past two times i stayed here. The breakfast was great and the shuttle was right on time. When calling them on the return they were there to pick me up at the airport within min. I will be using them again, the best deal i have found for the hotel is on parksleepfly.com That way you can pick 5 or 7 day parking and up.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Clarion Hotel Detroit Metro Airport? Share your experiences!