“AVOID” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Metropolitan

You added The Metropolitan to your Saves list
The Metropolitan
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   31500 Wick Rd., Romulus, MI 48174 (Formerly Doubletree)   |
Ranked #24 of 26 Hotels in Romulus
USA
“AVOID”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2004

This property has potential but much work to be done to live up to a 3 star rating. I will never stay here again. We live about a half hours' drive and were looking for a one night getaway at a place with a pool for the kids. The pool is nicer than average, spacious indoor/outdoor. But everything after that is downhill. The lobby is clean but curiously sterile and unwelcoming. Staff was also professional but standoffish. Even though we arrived a half hour after checkin time, they kept us waiting another half hour for "our room" to be ready. More on that in a minute. The restaraunt off to the side looks to be a bright spot, although we didn't eat there due to the prices. The rooms, if ours was anything to go by, are horrible. After being kept waiting, with two small children growing restive, for THIS ONE ROOM, I expected it to be decent. It must have been the one and only Priceline room. No, I'm sure others in that hallway would qualify also. The hallway was decorated in Terminally Depressing 1970s and the room was also shabby. Clean bathroom but room carpet was not. I wouldn't let my kids walk around in their socks on it. If there is one thing that sets this hotel apart from anywhere else I have ever stayed, hands down that would be the noisiest room air conditioner in Creation. It was impossible to sleep with it on and too hot to turn it off. Airport noise is insulated, but the hallway noise from the sports team they stuck us next to, was not. All in all a horrible experience. We checked out early and went home to sleep. Again, pool was nice, though.
Just don't plan to actually get any sleep in this hotel.
Will avoid like the plague in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2004

Seedy, absolutely. The Doubletree in Romulus is one of the worst hotels I have ever been in...and the only reason I stayed instead of walking out is because it was a business trip and I prepaid online w/ a 3rd party vendor, no refunds.

The hotel exterior looks like a small prison. The inside is shabby at best. Oh please don't go by the lobby (the only decent place in the whole building), the hall ways were decrepit, the carpets were worn, the bed looked like it had been there since the early 70's. The room was smelly, dark, inadequate, a motel 6 on a busy highway would have been just as good. And the room I just described was the "upgraded" room I made them move me into after I saw room #1.

amenities = none
service = none
cleanliness = (i got lucky but overall it was non existent)
book again = never

A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2004

I can't believe this is part of the Doubletree chain. First of all, there was no bellman to take our luggage to our room. The desk person had to leave the front desk to help us. The room was dirty; there were crumbs on the carpeting, not just in the corners, but the corners were especially bad. The sink had marks in it where the porcelain had been rubbed away, and the toilet seat also had wear marks on it too. Some of the towels were ok, the others were badly worn. The sheets were so wrinkled that they looked like they had been rolled in a ball after being taken out of the dryer. The hallways were dreary and beat up, and the elevator was tiny and banged up too. All in all, it would not encourage me to ever stay in another Doubletree hotel.

Been to The Metropolitan? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about The Metropolitan

Address: 31500 Wick Rd., Romulus, MI 48174 (Formerly Doubletree)
Location: United States > Michigan > Romulus
Business Center with Internet Access Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Children Activities ( Kid / Family Friendly ) Restaurant Spa Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access
Ranked #24 of 26 Hotels in Romulus
Hotel Class:3 star — The Metropolitan 3*
Unique Stylish Convenient Affordable; this is who WE are. Located just minuets from the Detroit Metropolitan Airport, we provide free transportation to and from the airport and have 263 spacious guest rooms. Park N Fly Packages Available. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, TripOnline SA, Travelocity and HostelBookers so you can book your The Metropolitan reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
The Metropolitan Hotel Romulus
Metropolitan Hotel Romulus
Metropolitan Hotel Detroit
Metropolitan Romulus

If you own or manage The Metropolitan, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.