“Absolutely terrible” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 26 Hotels in Romulus
Detroit, Michigan
“Absolutely terrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2011

I have never been so disgusted and disturbed by a hotel stay EVER.

I only needed to stay for six hours because I was far too tired to drive home from the airport after a red eye flight. I knew that for 40 dollars I wasn't getting the Ritz, but I NEVER expected giant dogs roaming the property, pubic hair in the sheets, dirty bathrooms, and being expected to sleep in the cold!

My room was switched three times after I begged for my money to be refunded not five full minutes after going into the first room with hair in the sheets. The second room had no heat at all. The third rooms heaters had no control buttons. My FIFTH trip to the office, I convinced the clerk to come over to the room to adjust the heater, which he did, and the heater promptly rewarded me with blast of cold air. The clerk said that it would warm up in ten or fifteen minutes. It didn't.

After an hour of huddling in a chair in the cold, I went back to the office and begged for a refund so that I could just leave. He said that I could have a refund, but wanted to charge me 15 dollars for the shuttle. The FREE shuttle. It took 20 minutes of pleading, and finally throwing a swearing, cursing tantrum to get my money back. I ended up walking across the street.

Do yourself a favor, if money's tight and you only need to be there for a little while, just go to the Quality Inn across the street. Clean, pretty comfortable, and, most importantly, not the Rodeway Inn.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
rodewayinnmetroairpo, Webmaster at Rodeway Inn Romulus, responded to this review, June 24, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Rodeway Inn Romulus for your recent stay in our area.

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review, it is very much appreciated. Upon receipt of your review, the following steps were taken:

1) Housekeeping staff received additional training concerning the level of cleanliness required of them as our employees.

2) Maintenance staff was notified of the problem you experienced with the heater and instructed to see to it that it is working properly.

3) Registration staff received additional training in the courteous, helpful manner in which we treat our valued guests.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at the Rodeway Inn Romulus. I think you will be greatly pleased.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

My wife and i rented a room for a week a day or two after she fell threw the bathroom floor not mean but lucky her an not my two 2 yr olds the floor was rotted and carotted lucky she caught herself and spraind her ankle they had enough nerve to move us 3 times and say if u stay another week we will knock 25 bucks off outta 175

• Stayed March 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review, it is very much appreciated. Upon receipt of your review, the following actions were taken:

1) We contacted management to make sure that all was done to care for your wife’s injury.

2) Maintenance and management were spoken to about the condition of that bathroom floor, They were instructed to see to it that the floor was properly repaired.

3) Management staff received additional instruction in the courteous manner in which we treat our valued guests.

Sincerely.
Bay City, Mi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2009

I had a meeting in detroit for 2 days So i was looking for a room with good rates.So I calles the Motel And booked my reservations. I went to trip advisor and read the reviews,I was About to cancel the reservations,But I thought let me give it a chance. I ended up staying up for 4 nights and the Internet worked fine NICE ROOMS FOR THE PRICE I PAID,BASICALLY PEOPLE SHOILD THINK BEFORE THEY WRITE & ALSO THEY ARE EXPECTING A RESORT IN A PRICE OF MOTEL ROOMS. I WAS HAPPY WITH MY STAY NO COMPLAINS.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2008

The Rodeway Inn Romulus was awful. I went to Detroit for a bowling Tournament and the one lady i was with took care of everything for us. Usually i don't have any problems just for a shower and sleeping but the first day we asked not to have our room cleaned so we thought they'd at least come the second day. NO i had to empty my trash and the lady took the towels out to wash so when i went to ask for more the man stated i needed to bring him the dirty ones which i did not have. He gave me some then acted like i'd stole them. We would all go out then come back and the key card didn't work. The pooled didn't work etc. i wanted to use the internet and the girl stated " is the mouse there" she said she had it and she needed to use it. overall i hated it and would not recommend it. thank you

Stayed June 2008
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Rodeway Inn Romulus for your recent stay in our area. I hope that you and your friends had a wonderful time at your bowling tournament.

1) Housekeeping staff was told to make sure that when cleaning isn’t wanted one day they know if it is wanted the next day. They also were told that if they take the towels, etc, they see to it that they are replaced.

2) Maintenance staff was instructed to see to it that the pool is in proper working order.

3) The desk staff received additional instruction in the courteous, helpful manner in which they are to treat our valued guests. They also were instructed to see to it that the key cards work properly.

I hope that the next time you visit in our area, you will once again choose to stay at Rodeway Inn Romulus. I think you will be greatly pleased.

out west
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2008

For business travel lately I've stayed in more cheap hotels than I ever have. I'm always surprised out how harshly people judge these hotels on different websites. They seem really out of touch with the idea of comparing quality and price, which would give you an idea of value. These hotels aren't great! But they are not resorts. I paid less than $40 in total at this Rodeway Inn, which included a fridge, a microwave, free wi-fi, and also a free airport shuttle at 4:30 in the morning. The room was dilapidated but clean except as I'll describe below.

Compared to other motels I've stayed at lately, this was the best value. I stayed at the Motel 6 in Canton. It was nice, clean, quiet, but also dilapidated. I had to pay for wi-fi on top of the $40 for the hotel, and it did not have the other amenities this one had. I was going to stay at another Motel 6 in Warren, but it had no wi-fi and also rude staff. So I stayed at the one in Madison Heights. Loud parking lot and I had to pay for wi-fi. I stayed at a Travelodge in Austin with loose locks and lots of parking lot activity at 2:00 am. There were holes in the wall and the wi-fi didn't work. Now THAT was a poor value, unlike the Rodeway Inn in Romulus.

So let me just caution reviewers to remember what tier of motel or hotel they are evaluating. If you want a resort, book one. Remember you are staying at a motel for ordinary people who need a place to rest before getting back on the road. If you live in fear of the world, stay home or pay for an elite hotel.

My only dissatisfaction with this hotel was that the tub was clogged and the toilet was clogged. I didn't know either of these things until 4:00 am, so I didn't have time to ask for an adjustment or some sort of solution (like a different room). I shouldn't have encountered this condition at all, but I also didn't give the staff a chance to rectify it, so I can't hold it against them based on one brief night.

Value: $40 for a clean and well appointed but worn room with wi-fi (saving me $3 over comparable motels) and an airport shuttle (saving me at least $10 in cab fare). For a cheap motel, this was a pretty good experience. Don't compare this to anything not in the price range. If you want better, you will have to pay more. If you are keeping costs down, this is a good place to stay.

• Liked — airport shuttle, wi-fi, clean
  • Disliked — clogged tub
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Rodeway Inn Romulus for your recent stay in our area. I am glad that you found your stay here a satisfactory one for the most part.

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review, it is very much appreciated. Upon receipt of your review, the following step was taken:

• Maintenance staff was notified of the clogged tub and toilet in the room assigned to you and instructed to see that they are in proper working order.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again stay at Rodeway Inn Romulus. I think you will be greatly pleased.

San Diego
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2008

When I stayed there, I smelled toxic mold right away. When I went into the bathroom and touched the wall, I was so freaked out!!! It felt like a sponge and I could hear the sound of water being squished on the other side of the wallpaper. The wallpaper looked normal, but when I touched it, it seemed like it was just hanging there. I totally got my video camera and got it on film! When I told the front desk, they put me up in their best room, but again, I had to get my video camera. I smelled mold again but I couldn't actually see it anywhere. However, I did record a cute little terminte crawling up the wall in this new luxurious room. (Like everyone else claims, this place is obviously dirty.) Even my "freshly washed" blanket was dirty and wreaked of smoke. DO NOT STAY HERE! EVER!!! You are better off sleeping in your car and cleaning up at a truckstop. Risking headlice, toxic mold poisoning, etc, is no picnic people! So don't risk it!
(I promise to upload the video to Utube today for anyone who wants to see what a beautiful place it is.)

• Liked — The toxic mold
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Rodeway Inn Romulus for your recent stay in our area.

1) Maintenance was notified of the soggy walls in the room assigned to your use and instructed to find the source and see to the repair of the problem.

2) Housekeeping staff received additional training regarding the level of cleanliness required of them as our employees.

3) Management was commended on the caring, courteous manner in which they treated our valued guests.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Rodeway Inn Romulus. I think you will be greatly pleased.

PerfectWay
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2008

Wow, I don't know that words can really explain how horrible this property is. Here's my experience:

On a cold, icy, and snowy Michigan night, I decided to get a room for the night instead of continuing my travel. Using my mobile internet to look at rates, I saw that Rodeway Inn in Romulus was the cheapest. I stopped into the front desk. The rate I was initially quoted was about $20 higher then the internet rate. When I asked about this I was met with a blank stare from the front desk clerk. Then, when I turned to leave, I was magically offered a lower rate (used-car style). I took it, and was given my key. It was all downhill from here.

I opened the room, and stepped in. This was all I did, because I was immediately appalled. Holes in the wall, lamp shade missing, spider webs......it's hard to descrbe how dirty this room seemed, and I am a college-aged person with lower then average standards.

Long story short, I went back, clerk asked me to look at another room, it was just as bad, I went back again, and was refunded my money.

No matter how broke or cheap you are, this place should not be a consideration. How it remains in business is beyond me.

• Liked — They refunded my money
  • Disliked — No cleanliness at all
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Rodeway Inn Romulus for your recent stay in our area.

1) Housekeeping staff received additional instruction in the level of cleanliness required of them as our employees.

2) Management and desk staff were instructed to see to it that the rate offered is the same as that offered on the internet.

Been to Rodeway Inn Romulus? Share your experiences!