“Next time we fly, we'll stay here.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Garden Romulus Detroit Metro Airport

You added Wyndham Garden Romulus Detroit Metro Airport to your Saves list
Wyndham Garden Romulus Detroit Metro Airport
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   9191 Wickham Road, Romulus, MI 48174-1904 (Formerly Best Western)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead & Save 15%
Ranked #22 of 26 Hotels in Romulus
Windsor, Canada
“Next time we fly, we'll stay here.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2011

Huge complex built to accommodate airline travelers. Good parking and geographic location with both indoor and outdoor pools and large breakfast area. Rooms do not have a microwave or fridge. On-site restaurant open until midnight. This is more of an airport area hotel, rather than an automobile touring hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for newer section by indoor pool
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Fernandina Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2011

booked online and was the price as promised, nice place for very litte more than economy buy. had everything we wanted and more. Staff was very nice and helpful. would highly recommend.

Room Tip: Don't go to Metro Inn Detroit, bad experience
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2011

Best Western Romulus, MI

Missed our connection flight home because of a delay on the first flight, so Delta set us up at this hotel for the night. Went online to check reviews of this hotel when i got there (because i am paranoid about where i stay). Most were from people in the exact same situation as me (which makes me seriously doubt the reliability of the airlines here...) and most mentioned bad service and not so great room quality, which made me nervous about the room to begin with, so i had to run around and check everything out before i would even take my shoes off or sit on the bed.

The front desk was very efficient about getting us checked in and set up quickly (which was nice after having a crappy night with missing our flight and all). The set-up of the rooms was kind of weird for me though, almost as if there was a square of rooms around the atrium then the hotel added another layer of rooms back around those ones, whose windows open into a hallway (which was kinda weird)

First impression of the room was that it looked unimpressive. The sheets on the bed looked clean as far as i could tell, but the rest of the room looked like it was cleaned quickly and not as well as it could have been. the desk chair was not very clean and looked like it had crumbs on it. Also, the hotel directory had been colored on with pen and hadn't been replaced. Heater/air-conditioner was kind of loud, but it didn't bother me too much, but it did kind of bug my mum.

TV got good reception and it was nice that there was a clean sleeve on the remote and that it said they replace the remote with each new guest. Interenet connection was easy to connect to and really fast from where our room was.

Bathroom was kinda worrisome. When i went in the first time, i swished 5 small ants on the floor (which REALLY worried me as far as my clenliness concerns went). There was also scratches and chips on the tile of the sink and an old, used soap was left on the sink counter. Also, the drain on the sink looked as if it had been removed and only half put back in... Not sure if rooms like these are less "nice" because they are just for the one night that people stay when they miss their flights, but the quality was just a bit poor... The quality of the room just made me feel the need to wash my hands often...

Bed was pretty comfortable and I ended up sleeping well once I actually fell asleep (because the walls were pretty thin and you could hear doors closing, and people talking or watching TV even if they were being quietabout it.

Was only staying the night, so didn't have much use for the pool or anything special, but from what i saw, the pool was REALLY small and didn't look very well-maintained... But there was a pool table in the atrium, which was kinda nice for the younger kids with their families who were also here because of missing a flight, so they had something kinda fun to do.

Overall, I guess this hotel's alright for a last minute stay set up by the airline, but i wouldn't recommend staying here voluntarily.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Sverige
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2011

We did´nt have breakfast becaust our flight were so early. Everything was good but the morning when we was leaving the hotel about 5am nobody were in the frontdesk. waited forfor about 10 min.....

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2011

I went there just for something to do with the kids. The indoor pool was sooooo cold that my kids didn't even wanna stay in the pool nor did I. The hot tub was luke warm. If your just staying on business it isn't bad if ur not swimming, but for families with small kids go elsewhere. Just really hated the pools.

• Stayed April 2011
Omaha
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2011

Delta paid for our night here after a cancellation. The hotel lobby and pool area is dark and dingy. The hotel bar ran out of tap beer and features a rear projection TV circa 1988. The rooms are very dingy and, like our entire trip, is a reminder of the Braidwood Inn from Planes, Tranes and Automobiles. The hallways are damp and very cold. All rooms face the lobby or hallway. The room heaters are very loud. We could hear other guests' TVs throughout the night. The one positive was an above-average mattress.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2011

I wouldn't have stayed at Western Gateway Hotel at all if not for the fact that my flight from New York to Tokyo had been diverted due to some problem with the plane - thanks Delta Airlines! Anyway, Delta put us up for one night at Western Gateway.

To begin with, the shuttle service to Western Gateway was horrible. The bus was small, cramped with annoyed passengers and was completely dark inside (it was night-time) save for some weird red lights. It was completely reminiscent of some dark, dingy red-light district!

The hotel is about 5 minutes or so away from the airport and surprisingly, when we got there, the lobby was quite presentable. However, the service staff was unfriendly, had no smiles and seemed to be quite detached. They had bad handwriting too - I ended up reading my hand-scribbled room number wrongly! Thankfully, in the end, I found my room - near the swimming pool area - which isn't too bad, considering some of the rooms are a whole lot worse - all the way down a super long stretch of fluoroscent-lit corridors which seemed like they came out of the 70s!

The room itself was okay - though the heater made startling noises whenever the thermostat turned on and off. TV-wise, the reception is horrible. And privacy was rather lacking because once you pull the curtains aside, you can ALL of the room from the corridors - no thanks to the ceiling-to-floor windows. I thought it resembled a massage parlour.

The toilet was alright as well - thankfully mine was clean and working.

We had dinner at the restaurant, as well as breakfast the next day. Restaurant took a long time with the food - to the point that when we ordered additional items after our main course, they never came. Luckily, the server was apologetic about that. Breakfast in the morning served limited items but it's okay for a budget hotel.

Toiletries at the hotel's shop were exorbitant - can you believe I paid US$3 for a tiny bottle of mouthwash?

Plus points? Sure, there are a couple. To be fair, the TV remote was covered with a protective dustbag which were changed every time someone new stayed in the room, and there were clean towels and bedsheets. Wifi signals are strong and you can access the internet from your room. And if you like to swim, there is a (what I believe is heated) swimming pool and a jacuzzi.

Other than that, I can't think of anything great to say. Check out my pictures.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

Been to Wyndham Garden Romulus Detroit Metro Airport? Share your experiences!