“Between Poor and Average” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Park & Fly!
Ranked #9 of 25 Hotels in Romulus
London, Canada
“Between Poor and Average”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

The hotel itself is a nice enough facility. I took my family of 6 there for the sleep park and fly. We stayed over the Tuesday night before the Easter long week-end. Prior to booking, the staff over the telephone gave me some bad advice. She said because of our family size, we could book the handicapped room which has two double beds in it, and that the room was so big we could get two roll away beds in it. The problem was that when we got to the hotel, we could only get one because of fire code regulations. It would have been nice to have everyone on the same page. It was a tight fit for our 9 year old and 6 year old to share a twin bed for the night. Our bill came to $150+ so it wasn't the best price, but because we were going to be able to get the two roll away beds I was fine with that. We couldn't get the in room wireless internet, and with four kids under 12 to wind down before bed that was unfortunate. Just a heads up that a baileys shot is $8. I don't spend a lot of nights in hotels, so I'm not accustomed to these prices. There's a beer and liquor store a couple blocks north on Merriman Road on the east side of the street. The pool was good for the kids, but I have to say that the hot tubs jets just pushed the water around and didn't massage like a normal hot tub does. The fitness room was adequate enough. It had two tread mills, a stair climber, dumbbells, bosu balls, and a cable weight machine. We never ate in the lobby restaurant, so can't comment on that. I just got back from the trip and Hilton wanted a survey filled out and then an option to add a trip advisor, so I did. I never went to the front desk to demand anything because of the room mess up, but Hilton just told me that there is a satisfaction guarantee as part of this survey. I will add (If I can) whether Hilton responds to my survey. (This is the first time I filled out one of these)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Joe F, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Detroit Metro Airport, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
I appreciate the review of your recent stay at our hotel. I understand that you were disappointed and that we came short of delivering what you are accustomed to expect from us. I truly apologize if this was the case and I can assure you that I will definitely keep your review in mind to improve our in-property experience. We appreciate your business and sincerely apologize that we did not provide you with the level of quality that you are accustomed to receive from us. We do everything we can to ensure our guests enjoy our hotel. With that said, I assure that your feedback is incredibly important to us and I will definitely take your comments into consideration.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Billings, Montana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

The employees were very helpful and nice as with all the Hilton Hotels that I have stayed at. Unfortunately the hotel is somewhat run down and not up to Hilton standards. The food at the restaurant was OK, not what I have become accustomed to when dining at Hilton restaurants. The room description upon making the reservation said that the room had a sleep number adjustable bed but found a standard mattress in the room. This would not be my first choice for a hotel if staying in the Detroit Airport area again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Joe F, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Detroit Metro Airport, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Thank you for your review of your past stay at our hotel. We always appreciate hearing from our guests - including when comments help identify ways we can improve. I was glad to read from your review that your fund our staff to be helpful and friendly. I do however understand that you found our property to be somewhat rundown. I truly regret if you were disappointed in any way and sincerely apologize if we did not meet your expectations. We strive on providing our guests with an exceptional stay and I apologize if we did not deliver this for you. Your feedback is incredibly important to us and I can assure you that your comments will be taken into consideration to improve our property.

Yours in Hospitality,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

The hotel is relatively modern. The business center is first class, with updated equipment...as is the work out area. The lobby is engaging and caters to small meetings over coffee or a glass of wine. The staff seemed very eager to help and makes the hotel seem a little more 'up scale'. My room was quiet and clean...typical Hilton style.
The only down side that I saw was the breakfast sitting area, although modern, it did not cater to groups larger than 2-4. This might make it more challenging to find a place to sit for families.
I will be back for the next business trip in Detroit.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Joe F, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Detroit Metro Airport, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the opportunity to complete a review of your stay with us at the Hilton Garden Inn Detroit Metro Airport!

We also love our new lobby and the equipment in the business center. I am pleased to hear the stay was eager to help and created even more of an upscale feel to the hotel.

We do have our garden table in the center of the restaurant which is great for families or groups to gather during breakfast or dinner.

We look forward to seeing you again during your next trip to the area.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

I stayed at this property Sunday and Monday night for a company outing. Check in was a breeze and the rep was very friendly. After dropping my things off in my room I returned to the dining area for dinner. The food was really good, obviously prepared by a real chef. For dessert, I enjoyed one of the best strawberry cheesecakes I've had in a while.
My room was very clean. The sleep number bed was a nice touch that guaranteed a good night's sleep.
The breakfast buffet was worth the money! The chef's omelettes and french toast were outstanding! The servers on both days were very friendly and did a good job making sure my needs were met. They were so good that another visitor actually had the nerve to complain to the manager that the servers were too friendly. LOL! I look forward to staying at this hotel the next time I'm in the Detroit area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us and taking the opportunity to comlete a review of your stay with us at the Hilton Garden Inn Detroit Metro Airport!

I very excited your company decided to use our hotel for their event. I am also very happy to hear you enjoyed your meals, service and guestroom during your stay.

We look forward to seeing you again!

Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

I have higher expectations when it comes to Hilton properties, but this one looks like its had better days, it really needs a face lift, I had a "Suite" but I was disapointed to say the least, some of the lights were not working, the number bed in this room was not working either, I kept trying to make it firm, and it just kept getting soft (and yes, I did check the dial).

The food at the restaurant was not that good either, I had the sampler and the potato skins where so burnt, eating them was impossible, little attention to detail here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Joe F, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Detroit Metro Airport, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
I appreciate the review of your recent stay at our hotel. I understand that you were disappointed and that we came short of delivering what you are accustomed to expect from us. I truly apologize if this was the case and I can assure you that I will definitely keep your review in mind to improve our in-property experience. We appreciate your business and sincerely apologize that we did not provide you with the level of quality that you are accustomed to receive from us. In addition, I am so sorry that you had trouble with the lighting and GSS bed in the suite. We do everything we can to ensure our guests enjoy our hotel. With that said, I assure that your feedback is incredibly important to us and I will definitely take your comments into consideration.

Boyne City, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

My husband and I stayed here before flying out of DTW. We chose this hotel because it was very close to the Qwik Park where we had planned on parking our car while gone.

The front desk welcomed us upon arrival and check-in was smooth and hassle free.

Our room was larger than expected, but still a standard room. It included a fridge and microwave too! The bed was super comfy, wish I could get one like it!

It is very close to the airport, so we did hear the planes flying above. It didn't bother us and we kinda liked watching them fly overhead. The air traffic slowed as the night went on and both of us slept without being woke by them.

Ran down for coffee in the morning, and the front desk staff greeted us by name. How nice! We didn't have time for breakfast as we had to get to the airport early, but at 6:00 am, it was all set up and smelled delicious!

We would both stay here again!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hudson, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights on business; the best way to describe the rooms are dated. The decor is right out of 1970 or so and really needs a freshening up. The lobby and grounds were ok, but the rooms were disappointing.

The beds were pretty comfortable, very important, as the king rooms have adjustable beds which is a nice touch.

The restaurant downstairs is another story, and not a great one. They are under-staffed for sure; we got in late and walked in there probably 15 minutes before close and we got the stink eye from the two servers, as if we were a burden on them getting off work. The next day for lunch seemed hectic too, just organized or staffed right from what I could tell.

Honestly, I'd suggest checking out the Holiday Inn down the road, looks a lot nicer anyway, or the Hampton next door (same owner).

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Joe F, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Detroit Metro Airport, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thank you for your review of your past stay at our hotel. We always appreciate hearing from our guests - including when comments help identify ways we can improve. I understand from your review that you found our property to be somewhat dated. Your feedback is incredibly important to us and I can assure you that your comments will be taken into consideration to improve our property. In addition, I sincerely apologize if you encountered inconveniences at our restaurant. Our main priority is for all our guests to have any exceptional stay with us and I do regret if you were disappointed in any way.

Again, I thank you for your review and assure you that your feedback has been taken into consideration. I truly hope you give us another opportunity to stay with us next time you’re in town.

Joseph Felice

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Detroit Metro Airport? Share your experiences!