“Good food, good service, good value” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save up to 25%
Ranked #10 of 26 Hotels in Romulus
California
“Good food, good service, good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

I recently stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn for the first time, and was pleasantly surprised. Having spent most my stays in Michigan either at the Westin (DTW) or in the outlying suburbs, I decided it was time to try something new. My rating is in relation to other value chains.

Pros: Great service in the dining area, especially in the morning (kudos to Dennis!). Food was the biggest surprise for me, good selection and prepared nicely. Lobby area is small but not cramped, nicely appointed and functional for check-in, dining, or a beer/wine. Rooms were decent size, and good selection of tv channels (LCD). Workout area had nice equipment (but maintenance not so great, see below).

Cons: Maintenance in general. Only one elevator was functional during my stay, which created long wait times (but easily cured for me by taking stairs). Not a large issue in itself but noteworthy as it seems thematic for this hotel. The gym needed attention as both treadmills seemed inoperable and the eliptical was missing a handle (which another guest said had been the case for one month). The climate control in my room was functional, but slightly loud for a wall mounted unit. Speaking of noise, if you're an extremely light sleeper (not myself), you may focus on the incoming planes as this location is directly in the flight path and the windows do not seem adequately designed for the location. Last but not least in my book, the water pressure in the shower was equivalent to a watering can.

In Summary: Great value for one or two night stints. The dining and service pushed this from average to very good for me. I tend to put a lot of weight behind those two aspects, as they are becoming increasingly neglected these days.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

Stayed here before catching our flight. Very reasonable room rate through Priceline. Very clean hotel. We arrived late and left early so we didn't get to see their amenities. Hot breakfast available for $10......quite a lot to choose from. The gentleman that runs the dining area was very nice. We were leaving for our honeymoon and he comped our breakfasts. Very nice and appreciated. All staff that we encountered were very friendly and helpful. I would definitely stay here again. Only minor complaint was that it was hard to find the hotel off the main drag of Romulus......the street sign is very hidden.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012 via mobile

Only one elevator working, staff complains, shower doesn't work. Breakfast so-so, but wait staff very nice.

• Stayed July 2012
Stone Mountain, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

I stay at this property at least 3 times per year and have yet to experience disappointment.
The front desk staff are always friendly and accommodating. During this last visit I had the pleasure of receiving the most outstanding service from the night front desk agent who I believe his name is Rob or Robert. I observed him engaging and welcoming every person that walked in the door. I inquired about getting a newspaper and since there were none in the hotel, he had the shuttle bus driver pick up one from a convenience store. I was surprised that anyone other then a 5 star luxury property would do that. The rooms are always immaculate and the complimentary cookies in the lobby are delightful. The rooms are always priced well for some great accommodations.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Waterloo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We stayed there 1 night, before a trip to Myrtle Beach, which was supposed to be with Spirit Airlines .Spirit canceled on us, 2 hours before the flight, so we ended up driving 900 miles, one way, for a 4 night trip. I would not recommend using that airline, as they seem to cancel flights with a very short notice, very often.
Never the less,our short stay at the Hilton Garden Inn was very pleasant. The room was spacious and well appointed and the bed was very comfortable. It's an older property, but everything is kept in a good order and the hotel is very clean. There is a law in Detroit, that you can not leave you car parked at a hotel for an extended period of time (park and fly). We were allowed to park our car for 1 night only, but than we were given a discount coupon for Quick park, which is virtually next door. Their nightly rate is 5.00. There was a great breakfast available at the hotel's restaurant. It was 9.99 per person and the guy working the breakfast room (Dennis) was extremely helpful. There were hot made to order dishes, as well as a continental spread. The people at the front desk, were also very nice.
If I'm flying from Detroit again, I would definitely stay there, but my flights will not be with Spirit Airlines.

Room Tip: One side of the hotel overlookd the runways, so if you are in the plane watching, ask to be on that...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Buffalo, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

I just returned from a 3 night stay with my son for a local hockey tournament, and there were other rooms booked in this hotel for the same reason. I did not chose this hotel myself, it was picked by a hotel travel booking service for this large national tournament in town. They even had a poster by the front desk, welcoming "the tournament". We had a great time during our visit, but even though they were accomodating a hockey tournament, they did not seem to like having teens staying in the hotel. I totally understand their concerns, and I'm aware of the reputation of traveling hockey teams in hotels and the love/hate relationship they have with them, but I acually felt unwelcome. They stared nervously at our kids (14 to 18 years) while eating in the restaurant, and there is a young man working there whose job it is to watch the lobby and pool in the evening, who was downright nasty to us in the pool area. We were in the pool with the kids and supervising them. This hotel has a newly renovated lobby, but it's a bit stuffy and formal. The breakfast was wonderful, but even the buffet is sit down/table service. THis is a very nice, clean hotel, but I seriously do not recommend anyone traveling with teens to stay Here. Do NOT stay here if you are part of a hockey tournament! They, and you, will not be made to feel welcome. Especially if the kids get anywhere near the lobby and all the fussy trinkets scattered throughout, or near the cookies and coffee/dining area. It's not a welcoming, comfortable, atmosphere. Yes we were traveling with teen boys, but we were not allowing them to be disruptive or wild. In fact, they were in bed early as they had very early hockey games. I've traveled with my son for a couple of years now with hockey, stayed in other cities and hotels, and have never had a problem with the kids at any other hotel, or been made to feel that the kids were unwelcome. This particular hotel should not be accomodating hockey families. I know I won't stay here again.

Room Tip: I would recommend staying on a lower floor (there are only six floors) to probably cut down on airpl...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Detroit Metro Airport, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
We are sorry we were not able to provide you with the quality of services you deserve. This is not typical of our hotel and staff, and we are always looking for ways to improve our customer experience. I would like to apologize for the way you and your team were treated while at our hotel. We certainly cherish your business and we want you to know that our staff will be addressed regarding this. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will consider staying with us again!
OKC, OK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

Because it is a Hilton branded hotel, I was expecting a nice experience and it was. I chose this hotel close to the airport so that I could have a restful evening before finishing my trip. Since my plane ended up being quite late it was comforting to know that I had a room ready. I also appreciated knowing that there was a hotel shuttle to and from the airport. Came quickly. Rooms and amenities are what I would expect, but the service was quite something. Very, very friendly staff. They also have a little "pantry" next to the service desk where you can pick up items you've forgotten, some food items, and since I was late, I really appreciated picking up one of those little bottles of wine since everything was closed.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Detroit Metro Airport? Share your experiences!