“Not bad for a night's stay” 5 of 5 stars

Save 10-30%
Ranked #7 of 26 Hotels in Romulus
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Fontana
“Not bad for a night's stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

We stayed in this property for an overnight layover when Delta bumped me and my gf (bumped voluntarily). Picking us up from the airport didn't take that long. It happened that they were already there waiting for passenger pick ups. When we got to the hotel, we were warmly welcomed. We told them that we only have our carry ons and they provided us with toiletries. The place is nice and cozy. Carpet, tables, and furnitures are clean. No dust. Bathroom and room are big. Bed was nice. It was a quiet night. I didn't hear any activities outside. We didn't get to use all the hotel's amenities since we were just there for one night and we were already tired and ready to knock out. The next day, we took the liberty to use Delta's food voucher at the restaurant beside it then waited for our pick up, which only took about 10 minutes. We weren't disappointed staying here. It'll be our choice of hotel if we were ever staying a night or 2 close to the airport.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
TINAG8400, Front Office Supervisor at Holiday Inn Detroit Metro Airport, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. We appreciate you taking the time to complete our survey. We are especially pleased that you enjoyed your stay and were satisfied with our service. While we understand that traveling can be frustrating, we strive to put you mind at ease with some of the amenities. Our pool and jacuzzi stays open 24hrs for our late travelers. Our Sporting News Grill also stays open late which is rare in this area. We have so much to offer our travelers and our families just visiting Metro Detroit. We hope you do come back to visit us. When you come back take advantage of our loyalty program, IHG Rewards, you can earn points towards a free stay. Again, thank you for your time and review, hope to see you soon. Latina Green Front Office Supervisor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Plymouth, NH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

There are two Holiday Inn hotels on the same road only several buildings from each other. The one at 8400 is the one you want to rest at.

Front desk is very professional and friendly, you know, the SMILE you don't always get. It just lets you know they are willing and ready to help you with any questions or problems you might have. I travel a lot for business and pleasure so the smallest differences jump out at me. Sabrine was at the front desk on this particular morning. What a Gem they have in her.

On my last trip into DTW I needed a refrigerator and was dog tired so looked forward to taking my left overs for a quick meal in my room later. I knew they had the set up as well as a micro wave. As soon as I checked in I discovered that the refrigerator was not working. As I stepped into the hallway all 3 cleaning "professionals" became aware of my issue and came into my room; all 3 trying to solve the problem for me. I had already called the front desk so the Sabrine, at the desk, had already put me into a new room and was coming up to help me with my luggage. The cleaning crew had already resolved the problem and headed off Sabrine in the hallway, letting her know the issue had been resolved. . I showered, got into my jams and relaxed.

Kudos to the staff in this wonderful hotel. Feels like a 4 star

Room Tip: Near airport, not a "better" room, but they are quiet. Afternoon sun and I 94 on one side...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
TINAG8400, Front Office Supervisor at Holiday Inn Detroit Metro Airport, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Thank you so much for your response to our survey. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to give us your honest opinion of our property and our staff. We agree that Sabreen has a wonderful smile and we are so lucky to have her on our team. We have passed along the compliments to her and she sends her gratitude.

I am sorry for any issues you may have had. Our goal is to make sure your stay is a perfect 10. We are always looking for ways to improve our property as well as our services. I am pleased that our staff was prompt and efficient in handling the situation

Thank you for your review! We look forward to your next visit! Latina Green Front Office Supervisor
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 4 nights in August. We were here for a convention and enjoyed the stay overall. When we first arrived our reservations was for a standard room with 2 queen beds. Since it just wound up just being 2 of us, they changed our reservation to a King bed with no problem. The lobby decor was very nice, modern and clean. Walking to our room the halls were clean and no smells. You wouldnt imagine the hotels that have dirty hallways. Our room was great, king bed, fridge, microwave, nice furniture and clean. The other thing I liked was the light saver. Im all for being green, and this was the best way I have seen. By your room door is a slot to place your room key. This keeps all your lights that you turn on in the room lit. When you take the key out, after a short period all the lights go out (or I think most of them anyway.) This 1) keeps your room key safe so you arent looking all over for it when you leave and 2) you wont have to go around the room turning out lights when you leave for the day.

The 3 complaints I have is 1) the bathroom door. It's nice in a way because it swings shut when you open it. But if you are going in and out constantly its a pain to keep it open. We used many plastic cups as a doorstop over the 4 days. 2) The hotel had a special breakfast for our convention group. I'm not complaining a whole lot because it was free, but when you advertise a sign for "complimentary breakfast," don't be misleading please. It was not breakfast, just some mini muffins, some little sweet rolls and coffee. It was free for us, so thank you, but even the usual continental breakfast offers more than that. But again that was special to our group, and shouldn't affect other guests stay. After the first day we went to a grocery store and stocked up on breakfast food. 3) The beds looked very comfy, but for some reason I didnt sleep very well. I dont know, maybe Im getting older and just finding it harder to sleep in other people's beds. I liked the fact the have 2 types of pillows, labeled "soft" and "firm." Nice touch.

My wife ordered room service, it was just ok. Buffalo wings and cheese sticks were mediocre and overpriced. Nothing new here. The pool was small. I wanted to exercise but didnt get a chance, so not sure how big exercise room was. The room has wifi. It seemed buggy, after I surfed for a while on my iPad, I went back maybe a hour later and had to log in again. Just a few steps which was irritating, especially when you lose the little paper that has the wifi code. There was a restaurant in the hotel, we didnt eat there so not sure how it was. Free parking as well. There is a Bob Evans close by, would recommend there for breakfast. The hotel is also very close to the I94.

Overall I would return, I would make sure to bring a doorstop!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your response to our survey. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to give us your honest opinion of our property. I am especially pleased that you were very well accommodated while you were with us. I am glad you liked the fact that our lights are energy efficient. I also think that is a nice touch for our property.

I am deeply sorry for the negative issues you encountered while with us. It is our goal to satisfy each and every one of our guest. We strive to create a memorable experience for each guest. I apologize about the breakfast. We should have offered you more alternatives if the continental didn’t suffice. I have spoken with my team and we are working on better options for your future visits. We do however; have a restaurant on property that serves breakfast in the morning. The Sporting News Grill opens at 6am and closes at 1am. We also have other breakfast options in the area that you may want to check out.

I am terribly sorry for the bathroom doors. We have spoken to maintenance about the issue and an action plan is in place. We want our guests to be as comfortable as they would be in their own home. So, we are diligently working to improve daily.

Thank you so much for your feedback. It is what we need to make adjustments and improvements on our property as well as our services. We absolutely look forward to our next visit and I am sure you will not be disappointed. Latina Green Front Office Supervisor
Chesterfield, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Overnight waiting on a colleague to arrive the following morning. Convenient location, easy to find. I would give a slight edge over the Sheraton 4 points, where I stayed a few weeks back, but not really enough to make a difference. Internet connection worked fine, not sure what the previous reviewer had trouble with.
Now for the cons:
I was actually looking forward to a late dinner in the restaurant as I had a good meal there a few months back. My medium rare steak came something past well done. Also, the menu described it as 12 ounce, it appeared to be about half that size. So it went back. Second time it was cooked OK and was something approaching the advertised size. But overall disappointing as I was hungry and things got drawn out. Breakfast was better, hard to screw up scrambled eggs and toast.
Shower door did not seal, despite efforts to make it so. Wound up with a very large puddle across the floor. Guess the maid wount have to mop since I took care of it myself.

I will probably try one of the others next time.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
TINAG8400, Front Office Supervisor at Holiday Inn Detroit Metro Airport, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback. I would like to extend my deepest apologies for your experience with us. It is our goal to make sure your stay is as close to home as possible. We are always looking for ways to improve our services. We have addressed the situation with the appropriate parties and corrective action has been taken. We strive on making sure our guests leave with a lasting impression. I hope that this incident didn’t deter you from visiting us again. As incentive I would like to extend to you compensation for your troubles. As you mentioned you did have a good meal from here before. Give us a chance to redeem ourselves and I assure you that you will not be disappointed. Again, my sincerest apologies go out to you. I would like you to connect with me directly via email or phone. Thank you for your time and patience. I look forward to speaking with you. Latina Green Front Office Supervisor
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

You won't get work done--the wireless is intermittent and has been every time I've stayed here. If you're happy with intermittent 10k/S, feel free to stay. Outlook thinks it's disconnected it's so damn slow. Forget browsing or (heaven forbid) looking for another hotel--too slow.

Food--avoid it at all costs. The bartender lady is an old grouch as are most of the staff...could care less. The food sucks, even for hotel food.

The rooms are okay and even nice. But in a full feature HI, you'd expect things to be 'better', especially near the airport.

Given my experience at other HI sites in Detroit, this is no surprise. They all suck in regards to wireless, cigarettes, and comfort.
Don't believe me? Check Hyatt hotels in the area--sold out because no one wants to stay at the HI sites.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
TINAG8400, Front Office Supervisor at Holiday Inn Detroit Metro Airport, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
Hi fastfxr101

Thank you for your feedback. We want to apologize for your recent experience with us. Our goal is to make sure your stay is as close to home as possible. We have taken the necessary steps to ensure this will not be an issue in the future. I would like to connect with you directly so we can discuss future accommodations. I understand how frustrating traveling can be and we want to be able to put your weary mind at ease when you are here. Please call or email me at your earliest convenience. I would like to extend my deepest apologies and also offer you compensation for your troubles. I look forward to speaking with you soon. Latina Green Front Office Supervisor
Lakeland, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I stayed in this property recently and had tremendous difficulty with the shuttle service. It took the property 90 minutes to pick me up at airport. I was assured it was 5 minutes and not to call until I arrived at the designated hotel pick up location. When my late flight arrived I found my way to the location and called @ 10:45pm I had to call repeatedly over the next hour to hear the front desk person say "I'm sorry you keep missing the shuttle" This made me furious because there was one lane for the vehicle to get by me so there was no way I could miss the shuttle. When the driver finally arrived he was apologetic and stated that he was stuck at another terminal. I explained what had happened. Upon arrival at the front desk the driver who had followed me in said to the front desk person "why didn't you call me this man has been waiting for over an hour?"
The front desk person refused to look up at me and did not answer the driver. He made no apology and could not look me in the eye. I did not say anything because all I wanted was to get to bed due to my early morning meeting. I was shocked at the lack of basic customer service. I contacted the GM of the property "Mr. Abbas via email and phone left several messages, He has yet to return a call. I understand why his staff has the attitude it does just based on his lack of response. This is a shocker for a member of the of IHG Priority Club. My customer experience is NO PRIORITY to this Place!! Will not stay again!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
We appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback. I want to apologize for you recent experience with us. It is absolutely our policy to accommodate each and every guest. We are committed to service recovery and I would like the opportunity to make this up to you. I can assure you the situation was discussed with our associates and proper action has been taken. I understand how frustrating late traveling can be. We are diligently working on ways to improve our customer service as well as our property amenities. I'd like to express our sincerest apologies to you again for your inconvenience. Please connect with me directly so we can address the situation and discuss recovery. Also, if you have any further questions or concerns feel free to contact me directly or by email. Thanks again. Latina Green front Office Supervisor
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

As a result of travel delays due to bad weather I had to overnight in Detroit. This was the hotel the airline out me up in. I had initial concerns re the standard and comfort. The hotel was modern, well appointed and roomy. I had a corner room (419) it was great, very light and roomy. There is a bar and grill on site which is extremely convenient, particularly if you are just overnighting and moving on. All in all a good experience.

Room Tip: Room on northern side....419 was great.
Hi sjmortons

Thank you very much for completing our survey. We are pleased to have accommodated you. We are also happy that your stay was a perfect 10. We understand how frustrating traveling can be so we strive on making your home away from home as pleasurable as possible. Our Sporting News Grill is open from 6am until 2am with the restaurant closing at 1am. We also have a 24hr pool, business, and fitness center for your leisure. We hope we have won you over and we look forward to your next visit. Thanks again for the feedback. Latina Green Front Office Supervisor

Been to Holiday Inn Detroit Metro Airport? Share your experiences!