“Great as always!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 26 Hotels in Romulus
Essex, Ontario, Canada
“Great as always!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

We stayed at the Hampton again on October 15th using the stay, park and fly package. As in every time we have stayed, checking in was very quick and easy and the room again as always is so clean and comfortable. I cannot say enough as to how pleasant it is to stay in this hotel.

Room Tip: All rooms are great.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Our first stay at a Hampton Inn was here, due to their park,stay, fly package, and an early morning flight. (1 night room, and up to 8 days parking included) It was a VERY pleasant surprise! This place was really "a cut above" other chain hotels that we've stayed in. The only glitch in our experience was with the reservation---I had to call twice to get a written confirmation. After that, service couldn't have been smoother----very pleasant, helpful, and informative----from the front desk to the food server at breakfast. This place is immaculate, and the room layout is done beautifully, in my opinion. It is larger than most, with "touches" that are very user-friendly. Our king bed was very comfortable, bath linens plentiful and of adequate quality. There's even a night light in the bathroom for those of us who need to use the facilities at 3 a.m.! The breakfast was expansive, both hot and cold, and nicely prepared and presented. I would certainly recommend this Hampton, and as a result of our stay, we will look for others in the chain in our travels in the future.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

It is a large airport hotel, with a free shuttle and nice personnel. The place was very clean, and I liked having a fridge in my room. Both wifi and wired Internet, free for HHonors members. I left too early for breakfast but have to assume that it was the usual Hampton breakfast. The lobby area was larger and nicer than most Hamptons. I would stay here again, certainly. Good rate, clean room, nice LG flat screen TV and good soundproofing. Worked for me!

Room Tip: I was on the sixth floor and had a very quiet night.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
St. Louis, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

The front desk and breakfast staff were very friendly. The room was a king suite on the 6th floor. It was quiet and clean. Perhaps the only issue is a design one, the sink area of the bathroom is exposed to the rest of the room, when a light is needed at night it wakes everyone.
The hotel had good access to I 94 and was a perfect location for our trip to a visit friends in the Detroit area.

Room Tip: We were pleased with the king suite on the 6th floor away from the elevator. It made for a long wal...
curiousbunny
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

I will preface this review by saying that Hampton Inns are my preferred hotel chain. I have stayed in many of them in many different cities. I had high expectations for this one and ended up a bit disappointed.

Pros:
Everything is newish and well designed.
Our room had a fridge and a microwave.
The breakfast area is really nice, with plenty of seating.
It is close to the airport.
It is competitively priced.

Cons:
The staff is just okay.
Cases in point:
1. We arrived, and we were supposed to have a crib in the room. I asked the front desk if it was there. They front desk was friendly but clueless. The first woman didn't know, so she asked the other woman. The other woman didn't know, either, but remembered seeing a note about a crib but didn't remember what it said or where the note was. The two of them concluded I should just go look in the room and see. There was a crib in the room, but it was filthy. I was glad I brought my own bedding for it.

2. The shower curtain smelled like mildew. It was so pungent that I noticed the smell as soon as I walked in the bathroom. I figured it was an innocent goof, so I called the front desk and asked for a new one. They sent a new one up, and it was clean, but the person who brought it expected me to put it on myself. So yes, I was standing on the bathtub edge, fighting with a gross shower curtain right before dinner. I didn't know what to do with the gross shower curtain, so I ended up hiding it in a closet.

3. In our room, at least, they only vacuumed the middles. My daughter dropped something on the floor that rolled slightly under the dust ruffle. I lifted the dust ruffle to get it and was appalled at all the bits of crumbs and food and dirt that was down there.

The price we paid seemed awfully cheap, and I guess this was why. I gladly would have paid an extra $20 or $30 for a cleaner room. This is not a Hampton Inn I will stay in again, but it was not terrible. I would consider the decor on the high end of the Hampton spectrum, the service as average for a Hampton, and the cleaning as mediocre at best for a Hampton. To be fair, I have not stayed anywhere else in Romulus, so maybe the other hotels nearby (and there are many) are equally blah.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
carolyn_mondry, General Manager at Hampton Inn and Suites Detroit/Airport-Romulus, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
I appreciate the review of your recent stay at our hotel. I'm sorry that we missed the mark on delivering exemplary service; this is not the Hampton norm as our goal is Satisfaction Guaranteed. Anticipating our guests’ needs are very important to us and I have addressed these issues with our staff. The next time you are in the area we would love to have you come back and experience an improved level of customer service. Thank you once again for your comments.
Wilmington, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

We selected this Hampton Inn near the Detroit Airport (Romulus MI) as it is just off the airport grounds and close to the rental car returns. We just returned from trip across Michigan and back had an early flight out the next morning. What a terrific hotel and location. We usually stay at Hampton Inns and are rarely disappointed. This Hampton Inn exceeded all expectations. It was absolutely spotless, the rooms, eating, and lounging area were immaculate. The service was superior. Hotel staff was pleasant and helpful in every possible way; the front desk attendant offered us an umbrella because it was raining. The ladies working the breakfast area in the morning were on top of everything and so pleasant. We were well looked after! The beds were very comfortable and the room had a microwave, coffee maker, refrigerator and free Internet. The morning breakfast was a traditional Hampton Inn breakfast, everything was stocked, hot foods were hot and fresh; the food display and eating area was clean and neat and provided a great start to our day. As far as the hotel location, the surroundings had everything to offer. Plenty of restaurants close by, Big Boy is across the street and Bob Evans is few blocks away, just down the street are fast food places and a very short drive to many excellent places to eat, groceries and shopping. It was seven miles to the nearest mall. Hotel and surrounding area is very safe, the parking lot is well lit and provides for a confident and comfortable stay. We will stay at this hotel again if we travel out of the Detroit Airport and we highly recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Stayed on the 3rd floor, although next to the airport we did not hear any plane or road noise. Very...
London, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

I stayed at this hotel with family before flying off to Florida. Very nice, very clean room with comfortable beds. The pool area was very nice with a hot tub as well. The only thing lacking is an onsite restaurant, but there are many close by.
Loved that the Qwik Park location was right next door and our room cost of &119.00 included 8 days of free parking. We only paid extra for 3 nights.
The shuttle service to the airport was perfect and the driver was very helpful with luggage, etc. even calling ahead to the airport to arrange a wheelchair for my mother.
I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hampton Inn and Suites Detroit/Airport-Romulus? Share your experiences!