“Blah-Nothing Special” 1 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Reds On The River is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 51 Restaurants in Rockford
Cuisines: American
Good for: Outdoor seating, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Main, 10 Mile
Description: Situated on the banks of the Rogue River in downtown Rockford, Reds sets the table for an outstanding dining experience. Reds has breathtaking views, Tuscan decor, and an expansive outdoor deck and bar for warm weather fun - or a glowing, massive circular fireplace on white winter evenings. Known for exceptional service and award winning dining, discover for yourself why Reds is so well-known.Private dining accomodations are available in our Riverside Room, for groups up to 35, and includes: •9" ceiling recessed screen •WI FI •Full computer support •Private deck •Private restroom •Private entrance •Dedicated wait staff
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Blah-Nothing Special”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

My boyfriend and I decided to try Reds after being presented with a Groupon. The atmosphere was nice and the view of the river was a plus. We were approached by a waitress who asked if we had ever been to reds and we both had not. She went through a mediocre description of the menu and then gave us time to decide. The server for the table behind us spent 10 minutes with his table, explaining the menu and cooking techniques, which I would have enjoyed. The server then came back and got us some water, but spilled the water all over the floor and the stem of my glass was puddled with water...dripping over my clothes. Every refill of the glass had the same result. Water all over the place. THEN, we decided on an appetizer. Chicken Empinadas. Meh, they were ok. They tasted very similar to pizza rolls. For our entrees, my boyfriend ordered the pan roasted duck and I got the Lamb Shank. The duck was alright, but the sauce was so overwhelmingly sweet that my boyfriend could barely eat it. As for my entree, the lamb shank was so fatty that I was grossed out just looking at it. The salsa type sauce was so bland and flavorless...disgusting! Then, the rice that was on the plate was so undercooked I thought I was going to break my teeth! I ate a few bites of the lamb where the fat wasn't very prevalent. The lamb was cooked very nicely and was tender. That was the only plus of the entree. ( I threw my carry away box away at the gas station.) Since I was still hungry, we decided to try dessert. My boyfriend got the Chocolate Mousse and I got a scoop of Mint Ice Cream. The ice cream was amazing. Very minty and sweet. My boyfriend had told the server that it was my birthday, so she brought me out a chocolate mousse square with happy birthday written in chocolate on the plate. The Mousse square was one inch by one inch...enough for a bite. Gee, thanks for the cake. After spending 76.00 on our entire meal (thank goodness we had the $50 groupon), I was severely disappointed. Never again will we go back, or recommend the restaurant to anyone. You are better off going to Olive Garden or Red Lobster. More satisfaction for less money.

• Visited March 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Disrespected and humiliated by the owner”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2011

First of all, the decor and food were nothing special. The steak sandwich was good, but the potato salad tasted like it had began to spoil. My fiance's lobster grilled cheese was good but not anything amazing. For a $50 lunch, it was pretty mediocre.
Then came the good part, we tried to use a groupon and the owner himself came over and ridiculed us. He started complaining about how he only made $12.50 per groupon so he was not going to honor it. We paid $25 for that gift certificate, and he didn't even take it. Then he called us "you people", and made us feel low class for trying to use the groupon.

• Visited March 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Rockford, Michigan
“Nothing special.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2011 via mobile

I think the atmosphere at Red's is terrific. Too bad the food doesn't rate the same. Been there 3 times in the last 6 months and the same experience each time. The food is just not worth the money.

• 2 of 5 stars Food
Holland, MI
“rude hostess”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2010

The food was good but you will not believe this story.

When we arrived we were told that it would take 20 minutes to be seated. No problem, we went and sat at the bar to wait. After 45 minutes I went to the hostess to inquire politely about how much longer it would be. I was not impatient just curious.

The hostess replied "why don't you stand over by that table and fart".

I should of walked out but we were with a group and it was getting late, so we decided to just ignore the rudeness and try to enjoy the dinner.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
lansing
“Doesnt take a genius to cook a steak”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2010

Atmospher And steak is about the only thing that is good here.. Incredible wine list, but really who can mess up a steak.. have tried several other things there, thousands more talented chef's (line cooks) in the grand rapids area

• 1 of 5 stars Food