“just mediocre” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Rochester, Michigan, United States
“just mediocre”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

for some reason, this outback is not up to par with other outbacks. the steak here is just not that good and the service isnt very good either.

• Visited August 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Michigan
“It's an Outback...nothing more.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

This particular Outback location only seems to have the huge crowds on weekends. Could it be because it's located almost next door to a Weight Watcher's outlet? The staff is polite, does a good job but it's a chain that perhaps has peaked in patron interest. Their small top sirloin offering is still a really good deal although I wish they still had the twin pork chops they used to offer.

Visited May 2012
Rochester MI
“Would Not Honor TV Ad Steak Dinner Special”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

I am puzzled why a franchise restaurant location will not honor a special advertized on TV that is supposed to be chain-wide? If this were a particularly special location, such as within Disney World or in Downtown New York City I could understand. This location is however in the Staples strip mall for crying out loud. They also have an on-line menu that has items that they will not prepare, and prices that are $2 - $3 less than the one given to you when you enter the restaurant.

The current ad on TV is for a 6 ounce sirloin steak, a salad and dessert for $9.99. We learned soon after sitting down that we would have to pay $12.99 for that meal, and were not honoring the TV ad. We also learned that the menu online was not what they actually served. There were a number of items that were offered on the online menu (which you have to access by picking that location) that have never been offered in the restaurant. When we pointed this out to our server she looked to another server and said "That would explain why so many people come to the "Outback to Go" counter and have to be told that what they ordered is simply not available, or that it costs a lot more."

We came for the Steak dinner special, as well as to have chicken friend steak. The online menu for this location said they had the chicken fried steak, which they did not have at all. They also would not honor the TV ad. We left.

This place is sliding down hill. I am not sure if it is the whole chain, or just this location.

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Rochester MI
“Very Good Food, Bad Drinks”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

Outback has always had good quality steaks and entrees. What can I say - these guys know how to cook a steak! The combo entree typically offer a few feacher items keeping the menu fresh and prices acceptable. Service is typically pretty good. What I have an issue with is their drinks. The prices of drinks is typical to those of the other bars within restaurants. I can however tast when I have been shorted on a drink. A rum and Diet for instance should have some taste of the rum within it. Theirs do not. I actually sat up at their bar once and realized the reason. They pour half shots, not full shots. Let me qualify that - they pout 1/2 ounce of liquor into a drink. Most bars and restaurants will pour a 1-1/2 ounce shot, not a 1 ounce shot. Therefore Outback is only giving its customers 1/3 to 1/2 the alcohol in a drink, but it still costs the same as anywhere else. The solution is obvious - do not buy mixed drinks at Outback. I did ask the manager about this practice. He claimed it was a corporate mandate to reduce drunkiness. Un-hun. . . . Ithink it is for revenue enhancement. Enjoy the steaks, but enjoy an adult beverage elsewhere.

Wake Forest, North Carolina
“Losing its touch.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

In general we like this restuarant, but after my experience last night I am not sure how much we will go there.
The reasons are as follows. First of all it was an early Sunday night. They were not busy, so I "assumed" we would get good service.
The bread was a bit stale and tasted like it had been sitting out for a while.
Though my husband's salmon was properly cooked, my steak was underdone - way underdone. I was very hungry and did not appreciate having to wait to have it cooked properly (medium which is pink on the inside). When it returned it was just about right, still could have been a little better, but frankly I did not want to wait to have it done correctly.
There was no attempt to offer a bit of a discount on the meal because of this.
This is the second time in four months that I have had a improperly cooked steak at this specific restuarnt.
The meat was not very tender - too chewy. I have had much better steaks at the restuarant.
Also had shrimp with this. A very skimpy portion.
We we got up I noticed the rug right next to our table and the table just ahead of us was full of crumbs that had not been swept up. I can understand how this happens, but there was a lack of attention to detail.
If we go back, and I am not sure that I will, I will not be ordering the steak.

• Visited October 2011