“Aspires to be 'The Ritz' in NYC and almost makes it” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Summer Suite Retreat
Ranked #1 of 3 hotels in Rochester
Markham, Canada
“Aspires to be 'The Ritz' in NYC and almost makes it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2009

The Royal Park aspires to be a Grand Hotel and makes it in a number of ways but certain exceptions leave it just short of the mark. Like some of the other reviewer, I liked the room, the bed, the soft towels, nice bathroom & soaps, and complimentary slippers and bathrobe. I also very much enjoyed how much I didn't hear from outside my room and the high ceilings (10ft?) were very nice too. The shower stall resembles what I'd consider putting in at home when doing a bathroom renovation. All of these items were consistent with some of the other Grand Hotels I've enjoyed staying in. In addition to all these I was very happy with the dining room staff at breakfast and, for the most part, the staff at the reception desk. All are well trained, polite and attentive although one, I felt, just slipped over the line to obsequiousness. And that last always give me the Willies.

I've stayed at the Royal Park more than once now for multiple nights each time. My room was a Non-smoking King and was for the most part comfortable.

On the 'just missed' side of things for this hotel, the Internet service is lacking and the the desk area has deficiencies. My trips are for business and involved multi-night stays during which a decent high speed Internet connection would have been a real benefit. The Internet access service at the Royal Park is included with the room and both shared 10Mbps wireless (802.11B, no one I know has anything less than a 54Mbps wireless hub anymore) or - if you bring your own cable - a Ethernet port. Either way, the bandwidth was pathetic, Google Maps was excruciatingly slow and don't even think about YouTube (let alone Hulu). Even regular news sites with Flash content were slow to render fully.

Also, really strange for a premises that was constructed just recently - I think 2004 - is that you have to crawl under the desk to plug in your PC and there's only a single duplex outlet. Similarly, the Ethernet jack is under the table. (In contrast the Staybridge in Auburn Hills provided table top level Ethernet and power outlets.)

About the desk chair, it's a basic chair with four legs and an upholstered seat cushion. No wheels, no height adjustment, doesn't recline, it's just a plain old chair like you would have expected at a writing desk in the 1800s.

One last 'not quite' about the room is the TV and TV Cabinet. The TV is a Vacuum Tube model, good size screen but sooo last century. (Even the medieval era room I stayed in in a skiing village in Austria, with the hand made cabinet and room door had a flat panel TV.) Also, the doors of the TV Cabinet interfere with the other upholstered chair in the room and it interferes with the desk so you can't work at the desk and see the TV - however you can see the cabinet door - as closely as you'd like.

There is a small bar type fridge in the room that usually holds a complimentary small bottle of water, this is in addition to another bottle of water provided on the night stand. It's an odd kind of fridge in which I had trouble fitting a carton of Orange Juice or 2 Quart container of Apple Cider. Still, it was nice to have, even if I did have to lie my juice/cider down to get it out of the fridge.

My final gripe, parking. During my most recent stay there were events either at the hotel or with the Rochester light show kick off. For three nights in a row, I had to hunt around the whole lot for a parking spot. I eventually found one but way, way, away from the hotel. It's well away from the hotel and well out of eye shot, not an ideal spot to leave a vehicle overnight - might be fine while you're in for dinner or a banquet. Seems to me that overnight guests, that may be moving stuff to an from their rooms, even if it's just their laptop and files, should have some assurance of a parking spot that doesn't suck. I dropped a note to the Hotel and receive the 'helpful' suggestion from the General Manager that "Quite often in situations where parking is at a premium due to sell out status, catering events or high restaurant and lounge traffic, our guests take advantage of the valet parking alternative that is offered at a slight fee." Seems pretty convenient that his solution involves spending more money at his hotel.

I'll continue to stay at the Royal Park when in town for business, I do like the bed/bathroom, the towels, and the quietness of the room. Plus, it's really nice to be able to walk to a variety of restaurants. Still, the little deficiencies will always remind me that the Royal Park is always just 'almost' a Grand Hotel.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business

190 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
milan, italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2009

A good place to be if you have business to do in Auburn Hills' area. Nice rooms, very professional service, good restaurant. Recommended.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
rochester michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2009

I loved this hotel! It was so elegant the beds were so comfortable and the breakfast was to die for.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
clarkston. mi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2009

My wife and I wanted to treat ourselves to an anniversary night at the Royal Park. We live in the area, so I knew of the hotel. When I called to make our reservation, I already knew that this was where we were going to stay, I just wanted to check on packages or options for our stay. The person that I spoke with, sounded as though that she was trying to sell me on the room. I wanted a terrace room, she said that she had a "LXST", her favorite room in the hotel, unfortunately the romance type package was not available for that room. I was fine with that, but then she tried to upsell me with a $60 bottle of champagne delivered to the room and $30 for chocolates, "No thank you" I said. She asked if I was ready to make my reservation, I said yes, she then offered me the upsells again, "No thank you". She took my information and then offered me a complimentary bottle of champagne. What!? now it's complimentary? I called back a few minutes later to confirm that this was a smoking room. Nope. The only smoking room available is on the 2nd floor with a terrace and smaller. The hotel is beautiful and exceptionally clean. The "terrace", looked out to a "beautiful" roof top. A very quiet room but the bed wasn't that confortable.The bathroom is very impressive Wonderful robes,short on towels. We got a comp shuttle to a local restaurant . The front desk made the reservation for us, a nice gesture. Our restaurant of choice was extremely crowded (Rochester Chop House). I called the hotel to be picked-up. We decided to go to the restaurant in the hotel.
The menu had very nice dishes, a little pricey, but I expected a great meal. My wife ordered the duck (she never tried it before), I ordered the lamb chops med. Both meals are ala carte $4-5 side dishes, but what the hey it's our anniversary. A bottle of wine and shrimp cocktail.
When our server set down the duck, it looked delicious a nice, sauce covered her plate. The lamb chops were four bones on a plate and garnish, no sauce, no real flair. I cut in to my over-cooked dry, flavorless chops and was very dissapointed. I never send food back unless it isn't hot or under cooked, basically never. The server was very kind and replaced my meal with a filet, it was perfect. I recieved a call from the Chef a day later, he appologized and hoped that we would return. An exceptional gesture. It is nice to see that my dissapointment was recognized. Thank you for the stay, now I know what to expect.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
East Coast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for a weekend wedding, and were impressed from start to finish by the friendliness and competance of the staff, the size and comfort of the rooms, and the quality of onsite dining. The dinner at the hotel, in particular, was to a much higher standard than we expected, with Dover sole and a great, but reasonably priced, wine list. The dining room is quiet, even though often full, and the service is attentive without being pretentious. Valet parking is efficient, and only $10 per night.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2009

This was my second stay here on business. Facilities are exceptional, the location is fantastic and within walking distance to stores and restaurants and the hotel is beside a river with a deck and adirondack chairs for lounging. The food in the restaurant is excellent and the lounge has a nice atmosphere and food/drink specials every day. There was a mix up with our reservation and even though the hotel was fully booked, they accomodated our request in a timely and courteous manner. We just returned from a business meeting at the Palazzo Las Vegas and this hotel exceeded the Palazzo in our opinion. We look forward to visiting again.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
arizonia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2009

I previously lived in the area, When I come "home". I only stay at the Royal Park Hotel.
Food is reasonably priced and great quality. I really enjoy the staff, they treat myself and family like royality. Remembering our likes and dislikes. Always happy to see us. We look foward to seeing our favorite servers Kelly, Gen and Mia. The Manager John, always extends a warm welcome. They are the reason we will return time and time again they make our experience a home away from home.
We wish for a pool or indoor spa of sorts. Despite lack of such, we throughly enjoy our walks on the path near the river, bike rides and the putting green.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Royal Park Hotel? Share your experiences!