“Recommended Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 hotels in Rochester
Alma, Michigan
“Recommended Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

The Royal Park Hotel is a very nice hotel. It is fairly new. The room was very spacious, clean and well maintained. My room had the nicest shower I have ever had in a hotel room. I was impressed. The room had a HD TV with a good selection of channels. The WiFi was free and very fast. It was quiet. No traffic noise. I know rooms on both sides were occupied but I never heard a sound. The room came with a nice bathrobe. There was no minibar but it did have a small refrigerator. I prefer the small refrigerator. The HVAC system was very quiet. I hate hotel rooms with noisy heaters or ac. The Rochester community is very safe and upscale. The hotel is about three blocks from a very upscale downtown. There are plenty of dining choices in the area. There is a trail behind the hotel along the river's edge. The river is a trout stream-- January is too cold to fly fish. Finally, a word about the staff. When I checked in, I gave the desk worker my name. For the rest of my stay, she called me by my name. That was impressive.

I was attending a conference while staying at the hotel. The hotel has good conference facilities. Good rooms. Good sound system. Good technologies. Good food. The parking lot had some electric charging stations for those driving electric cars.

The weaknesses: there was no spare outlet by the nightstand to charge my cell phone. I had problems with my key. I often had to try it five or six times before it worked. I am sure the hotel would have addressed it but it was not a big deal. It was raining when I brought my luggage it. There was puddle of water on the marble just inside the door. I stepped in it and fell. Two staff members quickly came to be sure I was fine.

Overall, the trip was very pleasant. This is definitely a repeat experience. I have even suggested it as a weekend getaway to sister.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
JayHaratsis, General Manager at Royal Park Hotel, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
We are so happy that you were here for your conference and found so many nice things to say about our hotel. As you might guess I am particularly pleased that our Guest Service Expert remembered your name and was so cordial.

Please accept my apology for the weaknesses you found. Know that I will personally address them with our team.

I do hope that you return with yoru sister. Please look me up when you return.

192 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Rancho Palos Verdes, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Stayed in a Brookside Suite and it was very comfortable, very nice over the top. Very well decorated, very comfortable bed --- all very perfect. The room service was tasty, well served and quick. The bar was fun, the service was helpful --- we were a group of five and they moved us to a "library" where they took care of us, but gave us the quite to have a chat. The food again was really very good. Nice touch, an apple and healthy snack bar next to the bed at night.

So, yeah its way overpriced. Our arrival, which was at ten or so at night was disappointing. No doorman, or bellman and I waited at the empty desk to check in for a few minutes. I don't know, maybe I surprised them? But really after that, it was pretty outstanding.

I would also compliment, I believe her name was Marsha, the Manager of Guest Services. Very helpful prior to our arrival --- Thanks! Also, my housekeeper; who I never met who kept the room absoutely perfect --- even picking up my pants off the floor and folding then and putting them at the end of the bed --- it was awesome, I felt like I was traveling with mom. I loved it!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
JayHaratsis, General Manager at Royal Park Hotel, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Thank you for the many kind words that you have offered regarding your recent visit to our hotel. It is always nice to hear that our team made you feel comfortable and were able to accommodate your need for a quiet spot to chat with your colleagues.

I am disappointed in our arrival team. A warm welcome has been one of our service mainstays. I will personally chat with the team to explain how important it is to make a positive first impression.

I am so glad that Marsha was able to assist you when you needed it and I am particularly thrilled that you commented about our room attendant and her attention to detail. Our ladies have a great deal of pride and are very particular about how their guest rooms are perceived.

I do hope that we can meet during your next visit. Please feel free to look me up.

southern ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Very nice location in Rochester, Michigan. This hotel is located within walking distance to the main street as well as a beautiful walking/running trail.

The staff were very nice and the service was excellent. (front desk, cleaning and bar).

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
JayHaratsis, General Manager at Royal Park Hotel, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Thank you for your kind words about our hotel. I know our staff will be quite happy with your comments and I will pass this on to the three departments you have identified.

We are very lucky to be located so close to downtown Rochester as it gives every guest the wonderful opportunity to shop, dine and walk.

I hope to see you in the near future.

Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Like many people that have written reviews I have family in the area and staying at the Royal Park is very convenient it is also more expensive than other hotels in the area. We decided to test it out using the Groupon special and I have to say I was extremely disappointed what we received as far as the value paid. Note we were in just a standard king size room as I know they have several suite options for quite a bit more money that may be different. There was absolutely nothing special about the bed. It was a standard pillow top mattress that was already indented in the middle which my husband and I had no choice but to keep falling into it. They don't have any vending machines or small sundry store but they have 24 hour room service. Ordering a bottle of water @ 2am seems like a pretty ridiculous option. We recently stayed at the Hilton on Opdyke Road and for 2/3 of the price we had a separate sitting area in our room, free breakfast, and a pool. I think the Royal Park could and should offer so much more for the price they are charging.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
JayHaratsis, General Manager at Royal Park Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to offer your comments on your recent visit to Royal Park. We value every comment from every guest and use them to better future guest's experiences with us.

I am disappointed that you were unable to find our vending area on the third floor and will investigate signage to insure that future guests will not be impacted as you were. I have also passed you note to our Executive Housekeeper so he can review your guestroom and the bedding package. We pride ourselves on guests having a fabulous night's sleep.

I do hope that you will give us another chance to be your home away from home the next time you are in the Rochester area. Please call upon me should you be visiting.

Grosse Poine Shores
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Was looking forward to an elegant experience but was rewarded with a very average evening. Dinner was ok but thought food should have had a better presentation. Very cheap late evening plate of limited fruit, chocolate, and briscotte. Although the band's music was nice they seemed to be caught in a time warp of 60's and early 70's. Maybe too much recreational parmaceuticals earlier in life. Dance floor was way too small and 10:30pm everyone was able to move freely from venue to venue. Our room was only 3/4 used and floor could have been twice the size and still would have been packed. Better dancing music in other rooms. Single singer in restaurant had better music to dance to. I know you cater the larger types of groups but some of us couples would prefer partner dance music. As mentioned by other reviews, no coffee in rooms, mediocre finish construction, no hi-def tv's, and other small details. A 3 star advertising itself as a 5 star hotel. We will most likely no return for and another stay. Only bright spot was breakfast and even then we were as to leave because they had another large party (10) to seat at our table even though there were empty tables that could be move around elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for your comments. It is so important to us to know and understand how every guest feels when they come to our property. We are sorry that you were disappointed. We will take your comments and suggestions and use them to enhance the experience of guests for next year's New Year event.

You will be pleased to know that we are currently installing new high definition televisions in every guest room and suite to meet current expectations.

I do hope that you will give us another chance in the future and when you do please take a moment to look me up. It would be my pleasure to meet you.

Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

I often stay here on business whilst visiting Troy. As a visitor from 'over the pond' I often look for hotels that are different from the usual 'bed in a box' multi chains and on finding this hotel back in 2010 I always make a point in getting this hotel booked for me when travelling. The rooms are excellent, large and well equipped with all you would need for business. The staff are friendly and professional, on the occasions I've needed to ask for help, it's been forthcoming without question. Food is good, breakfast is just a delicious choice my eyes often deceive me as I just can't eat everything! The bar is often lively and I've had many recommendations for places to either visit or eat at, including a ball game in Detroit, where tickets were booked for me and my colleagues - just fab. Business meetings go without problems. Outstanding guys and girls- thanks!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
JayHaratsis, General Manager at Royal Park Hotel, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
We cannot thank you enough for your kind comments about our hotel, our staff and the quality of our food. We strive to achieve excellence at all times with every guest and are thrilled that we have done so with you.

I am quite happy that our concierge services have been able to recommend dining options and procure tickets for you and your friends when you need them.

I hope to see you in the near future. Please feel free to call upon meon your next visit.

Imlay City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Since we can no longer travel to big cities with our mother, my sisters and I stayed at the Royal Park Hotel to experience the "big city" feel without traveling. We had a wonderful time and the staff at the hotel made our overnight trip wonderfu. Our mother is elderly and can't get around like she used to, so we stayed in our room and played cards all night. The staff brought us up a round table and four chairs. They even provided a beautiful tablecloth. This just might be our yearly "trip" with our mom! Thank you, Royal Park staff!

Room Tip: We upgraded to a larger room (additional square feet) which was very reasonable and a great value.