“Definitely overpriced for the value” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Bon Appetit
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Rochester
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Definitely overpriced for the value”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Like many people that have written reviews I have family in the area and staying at the Royal Park is very convenient it is also more expensive than other hotels in the area. We decided to test it out using the Groupon special and I have to say I was extremely disappointed what we received as far as the value paid. Note we were in just a standard king size room as I know they have several suite options for quite a bit more money that may be different. There was absolutely nothing special about the bed. It was a standard pillow top mattress that was already indented in the middle which my husband and I had no choice but to keep falling into it. They don't have any vending machines or small sundry store but they have 24 hour room service. Ordering a bottle of water @ 2am seems like a pretty ridiculous option. We recently stayed at the Hilton on Opdyke Road and for 2/3 of the price we had a separate sitting area in our room, free breakfast, and a pool. I think the Royal Park could and should offer so much more for the price they are charging.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
JayHaratsis, General Manager at Royal Park Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to offer your comments on your recent visit to Royal Park. We value every comment from every guest and use them to better future guest's experiences with us.

I am disappointed that you were unable to find our vending area on the third floor and will investigate signage to insure that future guests will not be impacted as you were. I have also passed you note to our Executive Housekeeper so he can review your guestroom and the bedding package. We pride ourselves on guests having a fabulous night's sleep.

I do hope that you will give us another chance to be your home away from home the next time you are in the Rochester area. Please call upon me should you be visiting.

Best Wishes,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Grosse Poine Shores
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Was looking forward to an elegant experience but was rewarded with a very average evening. Dinner was ok but thought food should have had a better presentation. Very cheap late evening plate of limited fruit, chocolate, and briscotte. Although the band's music was nice they seemed to be caught in a time warp of 60's and early 70's. Maybe too much recreational parmaceuticals earlier in life. Dance floor was way too small and 10:30pm everyone was able to move freely from venue to venue. Our room was only 3/4 used and floor could have been twice the size and still would have been packed. Better dancing music in other rooms. Single singer in restaurant had better music to dance to. I know you cater the larger types of groups but some of us couples would prefer partner dance music. As mentioned by other reviews, no coffee in rooms, mediocre finish construction, no hi-def tv's, and other small details. A 3 star advertising itself as a 5 star hotel. We will most likely no return for and another stay. Only bright spot was breakfast and even then we were as to leave because they had another large party (10) to seat at our table even though there were empty tables that could be move around elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for your comments. It is so important to us to know and understand how every guest feels when they come to our property. We are sorry that you were disappointed. We will take your comments and suggestions and use them to enhance the experience of guests for next year's New Year event.

You will be pleased to know that we are currently installing new high definition televisions in every guest room and suite to meet current expectations.

I do hope that you will give us another chance in the future and when you do please take a moment to look me up. It would be my pleasure to meet you.

Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

I often stay here on business whilst visiting Troy. As a visitor from 'over the pond' I often look for hotels that are different from the usual 'bed in a box' multi chains and on finding this hotel back in 2010 I always make a point in getting this hotel booked for me when travelling. The rooms are excellent, large and well equipped with all you would need for business. The staff are friendly and professional, on the occasions I've needed to ask for help, it's been forthcoming without question. Food is good, breakfast is just a delicious choice my eyes often deceive me as I just can't eat everything! The bar is often lively and I've had many recommendations for places to either visit or eat at, including a ball game in Detroit, where tickets were booked for me and my colleagues - just fab. Business meetings go without problems. Outstanding guys and girls- thanks!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
JayHaratsis, General Manager at Royal Park Hotel, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
We cannot thank you enough for your kind comments about our hotel, our staff and the quality of our food. We strive to achieve excellence at all times with every guest and are thrilled that we have done so with you.

I am quite happy that our concierge services have been able to recommend dining options and procure tickets for you and your friends when you need them.

I hope to see you in the near future. Please feel free to call upon meon your next visit.

Imlay City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Since we can no longer travel to big cities with our mother, my sisters and I stayed at the Royal Park Hotel to experience the "big city" feel without traveling. We had a wonderful time and the staff at the hotel made our overnight trip wonderfu. Our mother is elderly and can't get around like she used to, so we stayed in our room and played cards all night. The staff brought us up a round table and four chairs. They even provided a beautiful tablecloth. This just might be our yearly "trip" with our mom! Thank you, Royal Park staff!

Room Tip: We upgraded to a larger room (additional square feet) which was very reasonable and a great value.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for such a wonderful note. We love knowing that we were here for you and your family. We hope that your mother - as well as all of you - enjoyed your 'big city' escape. I am so glad that our staff was so accommdating to your needs.

Please let us know when you are ready to return so we can accommodate you in a room that will fit your needs once again.

Harrison Twp, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

Took advantage of the "Making Spirits Bright" package. The Holiday decorations and the Ginger Bread House in the lobby were beautiful. Location of the hotel is close to Main Street so you can walk to shops and see the Christmas light show.
Room was very clean and the mattress plus extra pillows were great. Breaksfast with Santa was excellent. Did not have to wait long for my food (The Brookshire looked booked to the max for breaksfast Saturday AM).

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
JayHaratsis, General Manager at Royal Park Hotel, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Thank you for giving us your feedback on our newest package promotion for the Christmas season. We are so happy that you enjoyed your visit with us. As a frequent guest you know how important the Christmas season is to Rochester and to Royal Park. We do have so much fun with our Gingerbread House. You may be surprised to know that we have had over 5,000 visitors - and counting - this year and every one of them takes pictures. It is so wonderful!

I will pass on your kind words to our staff about your guest room and breakfast - they will be so pleased with your comments.

We do hope to see you soon.

La Mirada, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I stayed at the Hotel for a Wedding held there. The Hotel's facilities are first class. The service is excellent. The hotel's restaurant food is outstanding. The rooms are world class.

The bar gets a little busy and it is a bit small for the hotel. However the service made up for any shortfalls.

Concierge staff are very helpful. Good location to go out on walks as there is a park nearby.

I have stayed at other top hotels primarily in Beverly Hills California. I have to say that the Royal Park tops them. Better than the Beverly Hills Hilton in California.

Definetely recommend to others. A must visit.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for the kind words about our hotel, its service and its food. We are so thrilled to be compared to the Beverly HIlls HIlton and other high end hotels in that market in such a positive way. It means the world to our staff to hear this.

I do wish that our lounge area was bigger - it does get crowded sometimes - but I am pleased that our staff overcame any service matters that may have arisen

I do hope that you will visit us again.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

I enjoyed my recent stay at Royal Park so much I actually looked forward to writing this review. First, the facility, rooms, layout and seasonal Christmas decorations rate with any five-star hotel in the country. But what always makes any
property stand out and move to a "5-rating" is the people and process and the very visible General Manager Jay, has accomplished this with his staff. From bell, to desk, housekeeping and to food and Beverage, each employee treats you as if your care is their only concern.
I have to stay at RP rather often on business on business and I always look forward to my time there.

• Stayed December 2012
JayHaratsis, General Manager at Royal Park Hotel, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
I cannot thank you enough for your comments about our staff and their service to you as our guest. We are grateful that you frequent the hotel regularly and have such positive comments about the facility.

Your comments about the team members is dead on - it is really true that every one of our staff has your best interest at heart while a guest of the hotel.

We look forward to seeing you soon.

Best Wishes,

Been to Royal Park Hotel? Share your experiences!