“Nice, but...” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 hotels in Rochester
Kalamazoo, Michigan
“Nice, but...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

My room (Tiffany Room) was beautiful as was the interior of the home however, to take a shower, you have to step down and stand in this huge jacuzzi tub which was very awkward. Don the proprietor was very friendly. The exterior of the property needed maintance and was overgrown. In fact, the bricks on the front steps are loose and pose a trip hazard. The "breakfast" consisted of a communal pantry with coffee maker and a dorm fridge for juice, yogurt and frozen breakfast items that could be toasted. There was no hot breakfast offered. I would have expected more for the $176/night price. I had pictures taken and appreciated the use of the property but for a little bit more, you could stay at the Royal Park Hotel in Rochester.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Donald J, Owner at The Rochester Carriage House B&B, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
We appreciate Katherine's response. The shower in the Tiffany room is awkward to enter and exit as it is located within the large Jacuzzi tub. We are planning for a separate shower in that room. The reason for the over growth in our natural setting was due to many inches of rain just prior to arrival. As for the bricks on the front porch, that part of the home was built in 1849 and items are always in need of repair. The bricks have since been fixed. On our web site we state we provide a continental breakfast and a full breakfast for an additional cost. (Royal Park does not include any breakfast) It is always the customer’s choice on where to stay. Our customers find our home a change of pace from the elevators, stairs, and valet parking of a conventional hotel.

14 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Farmington Hills, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I would highly recommend the Rochester Carriage House B&B to anyone that's looking for a nice, safe, serene, passionate and friendly environment to just get away. Don, the proprietor of the property, possesses the type of excitement and passion necessary to make customers feel welcomed and cared for. My wife and I will definitely return for another stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Redford, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

I Can't wait to stay again, I have had two Parties at this Bed and breakfast and it was so wonderful! Don and Nancy are both so welcoming and amazing and the estate is so amazing!! The service was amazing, It was so clean and everyone was so friendly I tell everyone I know about this place! I really can;t say I have ever stayed in better! This is a must see must experience for yourself kind of place to say the very Least I WILL BE BACK!! <3

Room Tip: We stayed in the Pearl Suite - beautiful with a full kitchen, bathroom, and living space to relax an...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I was treated to a warm and friendly welcome when I arrived in the early evening. The Carriage House was absolutely beautiful! The decor was lovely, inviting and comfortable. It was extremely clean. My room was quiet and peaceful with sliding doors to let in the evening spring breeze! Don was very hospitable and helpful. It was a treat to stay at the Carriage House and I highly recommend it to others.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Oak Park, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Had a small wedding at RCH. Everything was absolutely wonderful. The owner, Don is a wonderful host and very helpful. All of my guests loved the venue and the relaxed and intimate feel. I highly recommend RCH.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Donald J, Owner at The Rochester Carriage House B&B, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Thank you for the kind words.
I wish you and Eddie the best in your new life :)
Detroit, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I cannot wait be recommend The Carriage House to friends, family, and co-workers! We had an amazing experience from start to fin. Don was an excellent host, showing us around the property; and making us feel home away from home.

We stayed in the Pearl Suite - beautiful with a full kitchen, bathroom, and living space to relax and enjoy a perfect evening.

Driving into Rochester, I was unfortunate enough to get a flat tire. I want to complement the staff for going above and beyond. In the morning, they were kind enough to take my spare tire up to a local service center to get checked and pressurized before coming back to change my tire. The icing on the cake to a beautiful weekend and an absolutely wonderful stay!

Looking forward to our next visit....

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We were looking for a pleasant alternative to the two other places to stay in town and we were so happy with our choice. We were warmly welcomed by Don's brother Paul, who gave us a tour of the lovingly decorated house. We stayed in the Tiffany room that had its own private bathroom. The was room so sunny and cheery on a February morning thanks to the lovely skylights and windows. The continental breakfast (coffee, tea, English muffins, cereal) was perfect with plenty of fresh fruit, yogurt and biscotti on hand for a little snack. We heartily recommend The Carriage House for a romantic get away and a more personable and less expensive alternative to the grand hotel in town.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Rochester Carriage House B&B? Share your experiences!