“super 3 days” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Port Huron
indianapolis
“super 3 days”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2009

We came in on a friday and were greeted by a very friendly desk clerk. she was very helpful in getting us a ground floor room.Saturday morning we were surprised at the breakfast bar, and the hosties I think her name was sherry she was very helpful. I have to say we were more than pleased with our stay and should we be in the port huron area again we will stay at this holiday inn again.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2009

My stay at this establishment was very pleasurable and relaxing! My room was exceptionally clean, and the Staff were very Professional and Courteous. Hats off to the Employees of The Holiday Inn Express!
In paticular,the Hostess for the Breakfast Bar, "Sharon," who made waking up, away from home, a pleasure.I
Kudos! To the Management for hiring such wonderful staff!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2009

We stayed at the Port Huron Holiday Inn for one night. The washcloth in the washroom had something like coffee wiped up with it and was still with the other washclothes. Our comforter had cigarette burn holes in it. (and we werent in a smoking room) The pool needs replaced.The lady at the front just said it was old when we asked about its look. The breakfast experience was awful. The woman running it shut the television off on my daughter that was watching cartoons, turned the juice machine off and moved my 9 year old sons plates to the table as he was in the middle of buttering something. We told the clerk at the front about our experience and he didnt seem to care. I then went further and left a message for the front desk supervisor. She called back and said the owner would call me the next morning. He did. He was the rudest person I've ever come across in my life. Told me my kids were out of control and sorry about the washcloth and comforter but he wasnt doing anything. Said he felt like I was trying to get a free room. Do not stay here. Especially if you have kids. I will be calling the BBB on this hotel. Very unprofessional and rude. Definately no "quality" guarantee. So dont complain....you'll just get accused of trying to get a free room.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
St Thomas Ontario Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2009

We stayed over on a shopping trip. I would recommend a room on the parking lot side of the hotel as the bridge side has 24 hour traffic. The room was a good size, the beds were comfortable, the bathroom was nicely redone and everthing clean and spacious. The complimentary breakfast was really nice with breads and pastries, fruit, eggs and biscuits with gravy, cinnamon buns, yogourt, cereals and oatmeal as well as the usualy array of fruit juices, coffee and tea. Breakfast was served until 10 am which was a surprise for a weekday (we stayed over on a Wed/Thurs). The staff were very helpful and accomodating. Although we did not use it, the recreation area is a large, sunny open - there is a nice sized pool and jacuzzi and also a play area for smaller children. There is also a small room with computer.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
Toronto, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2008

My family and I love this hotel for it's convienence across the Canadian border and it's proximity to shopping in the Port Huron area.
Clean, safe, comfortable hotel and the staff have always been excellent and very accomodating. They even have complimentary snacks/small dinners in the evenings on certain weeknights (I believe Mon-Wed) and the breakfast bar is quick, tasty and has a good variety.
My son loves the pool and the indoor playground.

• Liked — Updated Rooms, Beds
  • Disliked — Cost
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Tualatin, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2008

I didn't intend on staying at the Holiday Inn Express in Port Huron, but when I had a problem obtaining my work permit at Canadian customs, I had to resort to Plan B. I used my Priority Club Platinum contact to get a room at the hotel for the night.

The "HIX" is convenient to the Blue Water Bridge, albeit in an awkward location tucked in between some fast-food restaurants and a bowling alley in adjacent, semi-common lots and the bridge itself (there are rumors as to the hotel's future when they expand the US customs plaza, depending on which plan they adopt). That could be perceived as a disadvantage, but think of it...places to eat, get gas, and even recreation just a walk out of the lobby without having to cross streets! Plus, it's a couple of quick right turns to get on the bridge and head to Canada.

The hotel itself probably did not start life as an HIX, as another reviewer noted. It didn't seem old or dated to me. It has a nice pool area (great if you have kids) and a fairly large lobby. You are very close to the riverfront, where it's fun to watch the Great Lakes freighters pass. It's a short drive north to Lakeport State Park and further on up the Lake Huron seashore.

If you are in Port Huron on business, the WiFi works well in the rooms. They have a business center with a computer and printer as well.

The staff was very helpful to me as a Priority Club member. When I was "shot down" again by Canadian customs, they let me use their lobby to jump on the WiFi and send E-mail to my employer as well as call them to get further advice.

McDonald's, Wendy's, and the aforementioned bowling alley & lounge are just outside the hotel door in a semi-common lot; if you do want to cross a street, there's a Tim Horton's. Go north on Pine Grove Ave. a couple of miles and you'll see tons of fast food and casual dining restaurants (Red Lobster, Olive Garden, etc.).

I had not been in Port Huron for 36 years until my trip last year. Things changed a lot since that time, and I'm glad the HIX is one of those changes. It is a nice, comfortable place to stay, especially if you have children.

• Liked — Closest lodging to the Blue Water Bridge, hotel amenities, lots of choices for dining
  • Disliked — Easy to miss the hotel entrance (hotel is set back from the road, not clearly marked)
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2008

tried the holiaday inn on the canada side for one night ,couldnt get out fast enough the next day . the holiaday inn express in port huron was fanstastic king bed facing the bridge no problem with tjhe traffic coming across didnt hear a thing also free food and wine mon to wed 6-7 wow wow wow and the owner was serving that says alot about how the place is ran also your stay comes with breakfest not just toast and juce there was bacon eggs juice all kinds of breads and cereals i cant say enough good things about this place .Derek from T.O

Stayed January 2008

Been to Quality Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!