“Cozy old building, well prepared cuisine” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Oswego, IL
“Cozy old building, well prepared cuisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

I was here a few years ago on another business trip and remembered how good it was then. This trip I was looking for the same friendly service and excellent french style food. I was not disappointed as the crab-stuffed filet was tender with every bite and the flavors were melded well and deliciously rich. This was one of the few times I completely finished my plate and even the mini-loaf of freshly baked bread. The server has been there many years and was proud to extol the rich history of both the building and the restaurant itself. I will be disappointed if they move to a new location downtown but I guess that is in the plans.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Fort Gratiot, Michigan
“Romantic atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

Great desserts and martinis. Small dining room, but good food.

Visited February 2012
Sarnia, Canada
“Port Huron's best,.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

This was not our first visit to 1882 and it was also excellent food - good selection, good preparation, etc. - and good service. What else should a restaurant provide ?

• Visited February 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Best in a gastronomic wasteland”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

We read about this restaurant and booked a table for our one night stay at the nearby Thomas Edison Inn (about a five minute walk away).

The decor is charming and very pleasant, and the service was excellent.

The food was not bad, but not as good as I had hoped. My duck was so overwhelmed by the overdose of raspberry sauce that I could hardly taste it. I was also somewhat surprised that it arrived less than ten minutes after I ordered it, which suggests it was prepared in advance and reheated (perhaps I am being unfair here, but that's what I felt). My wife's pork was very good, although the quantity was huge and she couldn't eat it all (about four times as much as you would get in a French bistro). The appetizers were good, as were the house wines by the glass.

Perhaps my expectations were too high. Nevertheless it was overall an enjoyable experince and we know of nowhere else nearby that is as good.

Unless there are new developments, we would eat here again and commend the owners for being so adventurous to open a bistro in this place.

Visited November 2011
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Very fine dining”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

A very pleasant 'find' in Port Huron. Went with small kids, which was a bit tricky given that it's not really suitable for families. But the food was very good.

• Visited August 2011