“Good food, fabulous view!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 77 Restaurants in Port Huron
Cuisines: American, Southwestern, Barbecue, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: Freighters is a culinary destination situated on the St. Clair River, overlooking the serene Blue Water Bridge, giving each guest a truly unique dining experience. Freighters' Dine-In and Banquet Menus feature locally sourced menu options, which are specially created by our Corporate Executive Chef. Freighters is owned and operated by Meritage Hospitality Group, headquartered in Grand Rapids, Michigan. All Meritage restaurants invest in the growth and sustainability of this great state. Our Chef and Culinary Team work with local farmers, vendors and suppliers to provide the freshest, most flavorful menu options to our guests, while also supporting our local economy. Wake Up Double Tree Breakfast Buffet for $9.95. Start your day with our signature bountiful buffet offering fresh seasonal fruit, refreshing juice, granola & low-fat yogurt, hot scrambled eggs, breakfast meats and potatoes, house specialty hot entrees, assorted muffins, pastries, sweet breads, hot steel-cut oatmeal and an assortment of cold cereals.
Marysville MI
“Good food, fabulous view!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

We've gone here twice. We've tried several of the appetizers and we really liked the salmon pate'. For dinner the first time, I got fish tacos and they were just ok. I've tried fish tacos at several places and I've never been crazy about them so I'm thinking they just aren't my thing. Second visit I got the stack of ribs with sauce on them (they have just dry rub also). They were super dry and crunchy (not burnt tho), not my type of ribs. I like mine to fall of the bone and be tender. These were very chewy and crispy, I didn't finish them because I got tired of chewing them! Both times we got the mushroom bisque and it seemed to not be as good the second time-it was missing something, not sure what, just not the same deliciousness as the first visit. My husband got a burger and liked it the first time. On our second visit he got the grouper sandwich and enjoyed that too. I like that you don't feel like you have to be dressed up due to the casual atmosphere. Overall, it's a place where they have all the elements to succeed, I really hope they do well here. We will be trying it again soon.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
MeritageHospitality, General Manager at Freighters Eatery & Taproom, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback, Jennifer. I will make sure to share your comments with my team. Looking forward to having you and your husband back in again soon.

Cheers,

Dave Wilson

Round Lake, Illinois
“Excellent Steak and Service at the DoubleTree Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Freighters Eatery is located at the DoubleTree in Port Huron, MI. My wife and I visited in October 2013, and the restaurant is excellent. The setting itself is a dimly lit bar/restaurant that is very clean, and fancy with views of the St. Clair River and the Blue Water Bridge. Most of their ingredients are brought in from Michigan sources, and the quality of the food is top-grade. For dinner my wife had ordered the Kobe Sizzler Steak (which she loved), and I had ordered the Detroit Zip Sizzler -- a 10oz sirloin with a large amount of garlic mashed potatos and squash (I added a Caesar Salad for $3.49 as well, which was well worth it). The steak was cooked perfectly -- ordered rare it melted in my mouth, and was gone in moments. And the size of the steak was extremely large as well -- being 10oz I expected a small sirloin, but this steak was very thick and took up more than half of the fairly large plate.

The liquor selection is very large and prepared well, and the desserts are good. I had surprised my wife with a campfire cheesecake (a s'mores cheesecake slice) that was delivered to our room very quickly. The restaurant also does room service for the DoubleTree, and if you order appetizers after 10:00PM on Fridays and Saturdays (or 9:00PM every other day), they are 1/2 price (within the restaurant or if you order them as room service, too!).

Around 7:00PM on a Friday the restaurant was packed -- all tables were taken, and there was a line of 20 - 30 people waiting for seats. My recommendation is to arrive a little later -- when we ate at 9:00PM, the restaurant was much less busy.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Christopher-- thank you so much for taking the time to give us your feedback on the restaurant. I am glad you enjoyed yourself, and look forward to seeing you in again soon.

Cheers,