“Good, quiet hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 3 hotels in Pontiac
Aiea, Hawaii
“Good, quiet hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

My husband and I stayed from March 21 to March 25. Our one-bedroom suite was quiet and was plenty spacious. The odd thing -- worth subtracting a star -- is that there is no door between the bedroom and the sink-and-vanity portion of the bathroom. So if someone's asleep in the bed, and another turns on the bright fluorescent light above the vanity and uses the sink, it's a pretty good bet that the on who sleeping will be awakened. Everything else was decent, though, including the free breakfast -- they could use a few more tables for diners, though.

Room Tip: 334 was a quiet, one-bedroom suite -- but no door between bedroom and vanity/sink area.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

57 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Westerville, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I travel a lot and almost never write hotel reviews. This time I’m compelled to do so.

Upon my arrival to Residence Inn Detroit Pontiac/Auburn Hills during the week of 03/18, I was given room 236. Let me state the positive first… the staff here is kind, pleasant and helpful… best thing going for this hotel. Here comes the areas where massive improvements are needed: Parking outside building 2 is awkward and quite limited. The entrance to this building (doors, carpet, keypad, etc.) is completely worn out and dated. Green carpet throughout? Seriously?

The room wasn’t any better. Same green carpet, VERY dated kitchen, dated couches, the bedding looks like handout from Motel 6. Appliences in the kitchen very well be picked up from the neighborhood trash day. The quality far from other Residence Inn standard. I am really surprised to see other people gave it 3-4 stars… too high in my opinion.

I know Detroit is broke, but Marriott isn’t. So invest the money to upgrades. Serously!

Again, the staff here doing their best with this old, tired hotel to maintain some standard, but you can do only so much!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dodi W, General Manager at Residence Inn Detroit Pontiac/Auburn Hills, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Dear "TD0001',

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. While we are not the newest hotel in the area, we pride ourselves on our maintneance and cleanliness, and the service we provide. I am sorry our decor was not to your liking, however I am very pleased that you enjoyed the high level of servide we provide. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you in the future.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Got a very good deal through Priceline. Spent one night on this property. Room was big enough for two, but not suite. Queen bed, large sitting area with 2 sofas, small kitchen with a bit dated appliances. We didn't use the kitchen at all because we stayed only one night so I can't comment on condition of appliances and tableware they have were . Overall everything was clean,in good shape, furniture in very good condition. Bed was very comfortable. Only complain I have is a noisy air conditioner.
Breakfast was decent.
This hotel looks well maintained and I would recommend to stay there.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dodi W, General Manager at Residence Inn Detroit Pontiac/Auburn Hills, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Hi Kimba,

Thank you so much for the positive feedback. I am glad you found the room clean and the bed comfortable. Thank you for staying with us and recommending us to other travelers. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Sarnia, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

We loved staying at Residence Inn's when we travel.....You basically know that your going to get a larger than normal room. We had a one bedroom suite. Very clean and comfortable, little outdated, for some Residence Inn's, but the price I feel reflected this. The thing that we always love is one of us could be in the bedroom sleeping while the other was in the living room watching TV without disturbing each other, it's just like home!! and for that is why we always look to this chain first!! the location is not the greatest, and the only reason I say this, is because there is not much in the general walking area, it's not that it's a bad neighbourhood or anything, it's just that there is nothing to really do without driving. My wife drove to the outlet mall, left me and our daughter at the hotel, and we couldn't really go off the property. The breakfast in the morning was great, and the staff was super friendly. Our room was in a corner, and was very quiet, which is great as we have a one year old who goes to sleep at 7pm, and requires two naps daily, no disturbances!! Always a plus!!
I did have a couple small issues, we when swimming at about 5pm and the pool deck was a “little” dirty with hair’s and debris, ok not an issue, but the next morning I took my daughter swimming first thing after breakfast, still dirty…… made me think a little bit. The only other little issue I had was the pull bar’s in the washroom were almost pulled out of the wall, now I didn’t require these for assistance, but for someone who did, there is no way that they would support you, and probably pull them out of the wall.. I know I should mention this or my wife would be upset, I had a great night sleep as I found the bed comfertable, even thought it was only a Queen.. She said the bed sloped in to the centre and she didn't have a 'great" sleep, I have no comment on this.

Overall I would stay again, probably if in the area again, I wouldn’t even look at the other hotels in the same price range, as I have always been happy with Residence Inn’s!!

Room Tip: Corner location, building 2 was very quite...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for about a week and it served its purpose as a place to sleep. I gave it four stars only because I got a discount; without it I'd have given it three. The room was little tired feeling but I think that's because we had a dog and were in a dog friendly room. There were bathroom soaps but no dish soap...not sure if there was some for the dishwasher. Everything worked (i.e heat, ice maker, tvs, microwave) and the room was big so no complaints there. The staff was very friendly and helped me with all my requests. It was a bit of drawback that the buildings are not attached because we were there during a snow storm and had to venture out int he cold for morning coffee. Breakfast was okay but a lot of variety (waffles, bagels, breads, eggs, cereal, yogurt, potatoes, meat, etc.). The workout room was a nice perk and never crowded (probably due to the holidays). Overall, I would not pay asking price for this hotel, but for the discounted price we paid, I'd say it was a fair value.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dodi W, General Manager at Residence Inn Detroit Pontiac/Auburn Hills, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am sorry you felt the room was a bit tired, but am happy you found everything in working order, and our staff to be friendly. I am also happy you enjoyed our workout room and the variety we offer for breakfast. We strive to please all of our valued guests and hope to have the opportunity to host you in the future. Again - thanks for providing valuble feedback on your stay with us.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

Stayed 2 nights using my points for a family weekend in Michigan. Sondra at the desk was extremely pleasant and offered great information about a particular location. As I was about to turn around and leave the desk area after receiving my keys, she stopped me and told me she was going see about giving me an upgrade to the 2 bedroom suite. Never in my platinum history have I been offered an upgrade, mostly because I never ask for one, so this was a nice moment for me. Sondra simply stated that she "wanted to make sure that we're comfortable." Thank you, Sondra, for helping us have an even better weekend than anticipated! Will happily stay here again, upgrade or not, we had zero complaints about anything.

• Stayed January 2013
Dodi W, General Manager at Residence Inn Detroit Pontiac/Auburn Hills, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thank you so much for such a gracious review! We truly appreciate our Marriott Reward Members and your loyalty. I will share this review with Sondra and the rest of our staff - we really the enjoy feedback! We look forward to having the opportunity to host your family again in the near future. Again, thanks for the positive comments on your stay with us.

All My Best,

Cincinnati
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I decided to book a room from Priceline for the first time - and I was please with the results. The room I received had a kitchen, couch, flat screen TV, and was more than adequate for my needs. Best of all, I breakfast was included.

Room Tip: The room we received was the first room on the left in the second building - 149. Inspite of the sta...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dodi W, General Manager at Residence Inn Detroit Pontiac/Auburn Hills, responded to this review, December 16, 2012
Dennis - Thanks so much for your positive feedback! We hope to host you again in the near future.

Dodi

Been to Residence Inn Detroit Pontiac/Auburn Hills? Share your experiences!