“Maybe I expected too much.” 3 of 5 stars

Red Roof Inn Detroit Plymouth
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   39700 Ann Arbor Road, Plymouth, MI 48170-4594   |
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Plymouth
Michigan
“Maybe I expected too much.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011

This was a business trip, but I brought my family along so they could shop and sight-see while I did business. I chose the Red Roof exclusively because of its high rating.

I had to change my reservation just an hour before we arrived (to a larger room) and the clerk was very polite and helpful. The whole phone call didn't take over a minute. Checking in was quick and easy, with the same pleasant and helpful clerk.

What I've gotten used to is finding a top-rated hotel on TA and not giving my lodging a second thought. My mistake here was not realizing that it was a two-star hotel, and I can't blame the reviewers for that.

This is an "old-fashioned" motel, with rooms opening right into the parking lot. It was a non-smoking room (one of the kids is asthmatic), but I don't think the curtains, carpet or bedding has been replaced since it was a smoking room. The room was very small, and the bathroom was clean, but tiny. I could stand in the middle and touch all the walls (of the bathroom). WiFi was slow and intermittent. Lots of construction workers staying there, and there were dozens of diesels warming up and roaring out of the lot well before we were ready to get up in the morning. The sheets were short, pillows marginal, and the comforters thin.

There was a mix-up with our billing (mostly my fault), and all of the employees I spoke to were very helpful in getting it resolved.

The bottom line is that it's a basic motel for a relatively low price, right off the freeway. However, the next time I bring my family along I'll be sure to check the number of stars instead of just the reviews.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Coldwater, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

would stay again, great location, very helpfull. staff great

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2011 via mobile

Nice stay in this hotel. Staff was excellent, room were clean. No problems!! Looking forward to next years return!

• Stayed June 2011
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2011

We stopped in with no reservation. I was greeted by Tineka. She was friendly and welcoming. They had a room and Tineka was able to handle all the questions and changes I had for our stay quickly and efficiently. It was refreshing to have someone enjoy their job and employer. I would recommend staying at this hotel and would stay again when we are in the area.

Renee
Grand Rapids, MI

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Plymouth, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

I would like to commend Christina Prentice for her management skills. The service here is so great, I thought all the associates (Tineka Keys, Diana Klarman & April McGuire) were all Managers. We had one minor issue with the room just after check-in and you would have thought we were royalty the way the handled the challenge. They also remember who you are and are very personable( they all should be managers). This is a short term rental for us that also allows pets (we have a Bull Mastiff). The property has room to walk the dog, hills for the kids to run and get exercise & a huge parking lot way in the back, out the way, for the kids to play catch. It is a quiet property hidden off the main road right next to the expressway. The women who run this establishment are all first class and I would recommend this Red Roof Inn to anyone looking for long or short term stay with or without pets. I Can't speak for all Red Roof Inn's, however, this one has been an excellent experience so far. You almost never don't get "Ritz Carleton" service at this price value. If the Red Roof Inn Corporation don't recognize the hidden jewels that they have on this team, they may loose them to the competition. As a business owner myself, I know that "GOOD HELP IS HARD TO FIND!!!!!!" These LADIES DESERVE TO BE RECOGNIZED BECAUSE THEY HAVE EARNED MY RESPECT AND MY BUSINESS AT RED ROOF INN FOR FUTURE TRAVELS. Thank you for your time on these matters and have a great. Best regards, Deondre F. Plymouth, MI

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

This is a pretty solid motel. Check-in and check-out were good; we asked to switch rooms due to a A/C unit making loud noises and were quickly accommodated. The room (king room, around $70/night) was spacious and surprisingly comfortable. I liked having a spacious coutertop around the sink. The bed linens seemed a bit chintzy, but overall everything was comfortable.

We also found the extra perks very nice--free wi-fi and free breakfast from Dunkin' Donuts (right next door). We thought that would mean coffee and a donut, but it included many options like breakfast sandwiches and bagels.

The location in an area with a lot of strip malls and chain outlets--it was very convenient for us since it was near relatives we were visiting, but it's not in downtown Plymouth. It did seem to attract a lot of people on the road, and the crowd at the hotel sometimes seemed a bit sketchy--some partying in the parking lot and such. But thankfully nothing too loud while we were there.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
goblue
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2010

My husband and I have health issues that keep uscoming back to Ann Arbor U of M hospitle. Although we have no choice where we go for our treaments, but we do have a choice which hotel we stay at. What keeps us choosing Red Roof is Barb. She always has a smle, checks us in with speed (which really helps when you are not feeling well,and always goes out of her way setting us up in advance with our "special requests". People like her are hard to find,and we appreciate her so. Thats what keeps us coming back.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business

Been to Red Roof Inn Detroit Plymouth? Share your experiences!