“Most Romantic and Delicious experience in the Dominican Republic!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Castle Club

Cuisines: Caribbean
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Entertaining clients, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Newport, Rhode Island
“Most Romantic and Delicious experience in the Dominican Republic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Castle Club, a private home situated in the hills near Cabarete in the Dominican Republic, offers spectacular views of the mountains and sea, as well as the finest food on the island. Hosts and chefs Doug and Marguerite Beers are experienced in the art of fine dining and entertaining.

All ingredients are locally grown and many herbs and veggies come directly from their own organic garden. Great music mixed with a lovely sunset sea breeze, fantastic views and the most amazing food and service made our dining experience the best one in the Dominican. Our party of 16 were equally pleased and we all can't wait to return to Doug and Marguerites smiles and deliciuos cuisine! It's a MUST DO!

• Visited October 2012

Toronto, Canada
“I was really surprised to read medtravler's review.....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

it just doesn't sound like the place that I know. I have been to the Castle Club several times over the years, with different groups and it has always been a delightful experience for everyone. The food is delicious and the hosts really make you feel at home. Everyone I know always wants to go back there again.
Perhaps with a large group of fluctuating size, including small children, a fast-food place on the beach would have been a better option.

• Visited March 2012
Sosua, Dominican Republic
“Truly Awesome experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

The Castle is a sight to behold!! The mountian views and sunsets can't be beat. We have had the pleasure of experiencing fabulous lunches and several dinners, each time more rewarding than the last! We were accompanied by a leading restaurant owner from Chicago on the last visit and they were amazed! They raved about the setting, the hosts / chef Doug and Margurite and the sumptuous meal. The total evening was a delight for us and our friends. We are always met with charm and grace, flowing wine and fine cusine at the Castle Club!!
Great place to bring friends visiting here they will not forget it!

• Visited February 2012
upstate, ny
“Not what I expected...good and bad, not for kids”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

I have really mixed feelings about this place,
We went with a large group (over 15 people) and I had no idea where we were going or what to expect.

We had a hard time finding it, it is off the beaten path, and though we did run late, thats no excuse for the bad food experience. Traveling there was difficult because the recent weather made the roads harder to negotiate. You need a good vehicle to get there as the roads are narrow and dirt and mud and rutted.
The "castle" is neat, up on a hill with nice grounds, and wide open views. A nice garden and fountain pool.
Because of our group size they didnt start cooking until we arrived...I dont blame them here, as they have apparently been stiffed before, but it seemed to take forever....with meager results.

Again because of our size i personally didnt have alot of interactions with the hosts but i think some of our group did. there were mostly adults but a hand full of kids under 10 (and they didnt make out so well with the food)

Hor'dourves....were terrible..and there wasnt much too them. A warm small tart of sorts, kind of sweet but i had two and that was it. nothing else and nothing left

There seemed to be plenty of wine served, other drinks available.

The Cucumber cold soup was excellent...maybe had basil and was creamy. I would have that again..
They ran out of salad......so i never got one....saw most other people eating it but not me....more disapointment (By the way it took about 2 hours at least to get to this point)

We chatted and entertained ourselves for a while but got bored fast after the sun was gone... watched thunder storms approaching was cool........

When the main course finally arrived (which again seemed like forever) we were very disapointed...again. There wasnt enough for us all and they told us so (which i think was a little rude)... they knew it was a large group and the tables were set accordingly..with a few open seats even...so how did they not have enough food for group??
I only got one vegtable kabob.....no meat....saw others had both and more (so they didnt ration well either), some cuscous mixed with other stuff which was ok and some mysterious red sauce which i did not like at all.

then the desserts came, a chocolate mouse which i shared... it was good but i shared because they again didnt have enough.....

So there were a few pros but a lot of cons and we ended up being there very late (which was unexpected)
Soon it began to rain and the house leaked....we had to bolt....so all told i dont think it was entirely pleasnt for the whole group.....some liked it more but i know some liked it less than i did.
Sounds like its better for more intimate groups (less than 8)

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Hoboken, NJ
“Magic Castle!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

The home of Doug and Marguerite Beers is simply beautiful. It is located at the top of a hill with 360 views ov everything around you - being the highest hill in the area. The house is decorated with a great eye for balance - both in space and modern and ructic pieces. In fact, Doug has built a lot of the furniture you will see!!

The food was the best we had in the Dominican Republic (however, the caveat is that the food in the DR is not of the highest level, but this place is really really good).

But the truth is the food doesnt matter - you come here to be inspired by what the hosts have accomplished - a life off the grid, surrounded by what they love, in a place they love, where they can dedicate their lives to what they love to do (I don't know what this may be but it looks like cooking, art and horticulture are part of what they love!). Meeting them has inspired me to follow my dream of getting the heck out of NYC metro as soon as I can!

Remember - you must make reservations, they don't open the house unless they have at least 6 people coming for dinner. Also, if you make reservations - GO! My husband and I were able to go on Sunday Feb 26 because a separate group of 12 people had made reservations. Doug and Marguerite prepared a two grosgous tables that night - one for 12 people, and one for my husband and I.... The 12 people never came!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They said they got lost and never showed up!!!! Can you imagine cooking for 12 people to then have them NOT show up?? Remember that this is not a regular restaurant - it is 2 people with a beautiful home and excellent food preparing things for the people they expect.

Anyways! Go! I'ts gorgoes! The views are amazing! The food is excellent! And the hosts are super lovely!

And take a cab even if you have a car - this is in a rural out of the way area, and if you're drinking, the drive back on a dirt road with no lights with crazy drivera around can't be good for you!

• Visited February 2012