“Do you wonder if good reviews are placed online by owners?” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #15 of 15 Hotels in Petoskey
Traverse City, Michigan
“Do you wonder if good reviews are placed online by owners?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2011

I am shocked there were any "good" reviews. We paid $139.00 a night and it was a dump. I have stayed in many much nicer and cleaner hotels for much less. Rooms had an awful odor, not smoke, more like greasy food. Toilet had a leak and ran all night. Heat was not working and we were told they had to turn breaker on, so we would have to wait a while. Once the heat came on, it would not shut down, so we turned the air on. Suprise!, Air did not work! CFL lights in all the lamps making the entire room dim, and the bathroom was even darker. I am surprised we found the toilet stool. I guess we found it since it was so noisy, from leaking, we just followed the sound. All the towels were a dingly white. (I did not realize bleach was so expensive) If I had a choice I would park on the side of the road and stay in my car next time. What a rip off. I am sure there are many nice Econolodges; Escanaba, Mi. for one. Puts the Petoskey Econolodge to shame.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2010

I cant beleive people can write a bad review about this place. Dont listen to fellow travlers just try it for yourself. if your budget minded u cant beat this place,so what if the breakfast has only a few choices,my main concern is the room. clean,good location,friendly staff,and reasonably priced ,lots of shopping, restaurants within 0.5 or so miles Odava casino is less than 0.5 miles. Try this hotel you wont regret. happy traveling.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2010

To say that this hotel is terrible gives my stay here too much credit!! The reservation staff were rude and that should've been my warning. However, the room was worse than anything I've ever seen. The carpet was stained and I was afraid to remove my shoes, the shower had MOLD and peeling paint, the bed was also very hard and I could barely lay down on my side. I finally checked out the next day and will not be returning.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Beverly Hills, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2010

I expected this to be a budget motel so I knew better than to expect a lot but was grossed out when I found bugs everywhere, including in my bed. The room was also quite noisy and not too far from or insulated against the noise of the main road. We paid about $130 a night there and I feel we paid WAY too much for a poor night's stay. We ended up moving to another local hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
marshall, michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2010

The rooms were very nice and clean. We traveled with a large soccer group and the staff was very willing to accomodate our large group. Was in close proximity to all the places we needed to go. Breakfast was also great with a fairly decent selection. Will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed September 2009
Houghton, MI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2009

I was quite hesitant when I booked the room at the Econo Lodge as this is not a brand I usually book with. We were traveling with my daughter and she had her cat so we were limited to where we could stay. Though the hotel is nothing fancy, it provided a very comfortable and clean bed, my main concern. The room had a fridge which was useful, the hotel is located very close to the casino, and in addition was quiet. Also, it is very close to dowtown and restaurants.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2009

We arrived without a reservation on a Saturday evening and were offered a very attractive rate. All the staff were friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. The facilities and the room were clean and orderly. The complimentary continental breakfast, while certainly nothing fancy (and not expected to be), was fine. The free high speed wireless internet was easy to connect to and worked very well. Overall, this was a good value.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Econo Lodge South? Share your experiences!