“Horrible Service” 2 of 5 stars

Royal Oak, Michigan
“Horrible Service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

Never again.

First… this was a trip with three girls in their upper twenties (no partying going on) where we wanted a nice trip to reconnect and do a little skiing. We were supposed to arrive on a Friday and on Thursday one of the girls (who went to the doctor on Wednesday due to being in so much pain that she was crying) found out she had a broken rib caused by some kind of unknown growth under the ribs… she was told she could not ski on Thursday. She immediately called the hotel to see if we could cancel the trip but it was after their cancellation time (by a couple of hours), so understanding that this is a business, the idea was to see if we could move our trip to different dates. The manager was rude and unsympathetic to the circumstances (despite the proof of documentation that could be provided) and refused to allow either the cancellation OR the change of dates.

After realizing we would be out our money, my friends (including the one with the broken rib and going through the phycological worry about the unknown growth in her body) and I decided we would still go to the hotel to reconnect and ski (while the one with the broken rib stayed at the hotel on pain medicine working on homework for her Masters Degree). Under normal circumstances if the manager had allowed us to move the dates, we all would have enjoyed our trip to the fullest.

Next… Beds made my back and neck hurt for at least one week after spending a weekend here. If this wasn't enough, while there the staff was rude, unhelpful and acted like we were an inconvenience and criminals. We are all highly educated, reasonable individuals that can see both sides to circumstances, but unfortunately the staff (with the exception of one male midnight staff) were not as fortunate.

When we explained that we needed more towels for the room because we had left our do not disturb sign on the door (again… our friend was working on homework), the front desk women actually made huffing and puffing noises (of discontent and annoyance) as she went to get 2 towels. When we explained that we needed 2 towels for the hot tub area and then three for when we showered (one for each of us), I thought she was going to start yelling. She made notes of every towel she handed us so as to 'let the house keeping know' about them… not sure if her intentions were to come across like we were trying to steal their towels, but no offense to the hotel, but your towels are not worthy of taking home… sorry to disappoint.

Then when it came time get the discount coupons (which the male midnight staff had told us about) for the buffet at the casino nearby, the same lady acted like we were interrupting her even though the lobby was empty and the phone was not ringing. Again, making the customer want to run out the door.

I can appreciate the fact that some people don't like their jobs and/or they have bad days, but from the instant we had any sort of connection with the staff it had been downhill.

We were their less than 2 days and these events are only the tip of the iceberg and not even the worst parts of it.

Stay far away from this place if you are mature and reasonable people with a heart… because 99% of them are not the same as you.

The room itself was dated (which would have been fine if the beds were remotely comfortable), pealing patches of wallpaper that were put on to repair other pealing wallpaper. Towels were useable; water pressure was fine; no major issues with the cleanliness of the room; didn't see any bedbugs either.

Still won't go back though… even if it was the last place left on earth… the service and beds would be enough for me to want to sleep on the streets.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Maple City, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

Stayed here for the 4th time over 6 years while working in petoskey. It used to be a nice place for the money now, This place is worse than a "no tell motel" that you pay by the hour.

• Stayed December 2011
Gladwin, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

There was no hot water and Know one could help us . There help did not know what to do the manager was not there. And yet returned the call.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

We stay at this hotel everytime we are in Petoskey and We LOVE IT!!! People are soo quick to complain in hopes that they will ruin someone elses trip or to get something for free!! We have stayed at all the other hotels in the area over the years but we keep coming back to this one because they have never let us down!! I am also sure that just because one person says something negative there are 100 people who have had a great stay but just dont spend the time to make a positive comment!!! I do agree that the building is older but i think it says something that after all these years it is still in business! The rooms are clean and the staff is wonderful! We recomend that you Give this hotel a chance!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Sparta, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

We booked our room a few days before our trip and it was one of the only places left to have any rooms, now we know why!!!! First they tried charging me more than i was told and had to show them my confirmation on my computer to get them to change the price. After that was settled we went to our room, I opened the door and almost puked!!! It smelt like a wet dog living in an old bar. We went to complain and they gave us a can of air freshener. The windows did not open and after turning on the lights we found the carpet to be absolutely gross! We then asked for our money back and found a new hotel!!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Brighton, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

This Econolodge was the most disgusting place I have ever been to. It looked nothing like their website said that it would be. It had a leaking toilet that left water all over the floor. The staff was so very rude. The cleaning people starting knocking on your door at 8 am to clean it and check out wasnt until 11am. The continental breakfast was a complete joke. I paid as much for this hotel as I did for a gorgeous one that I went to after the econo (nasty) lodge. I would never recommend this place to anyone and I would never stay at an Econolodge in Petosky or anywhere else for that matter.

Room Tip: Do not go to the Econolodge in Petosky
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Brighton, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

My husband and I took a last minute trip out to Petoskey to attend a book signing and the Econo Lodge was the only hotel we could find with rooms available that were less than $120. Our room's window had a big crack in it. The alarm clock was plugged into the outlet that was controlled by the switch next to the door, so if you wanted to use their clock, you'd have to set it and make sure to turn off all of the lamps at their individual switches rather than the main switch. The toilet clogged (the staff was nice and let me borrow their plunger without making a big deal of it). Breakfast was just pastries, cereal, and waffles (no non-juiced fruit, no protein).

I like to exercise while on vacation, but I usually figure I can at least run or swim if there is no fitness room. Wrong! The pool doesn't open until 9AM (although the back door to the pool had a broken keycard lock I technically could've snuck in). The location was completely un-runnable with no sidewalks and next to a multi-lane highway on a hill. Luckily, there was a fitness trail I was able to find after running through the abandoned parking lot next door (by the senior apartments).

Don't stay here! We originally were thinking of trying out Priceline "name your own price", but we were afraid of getting stuck with something awful or not directly in Petoskey. What a mistake! I'm not sure we could've done worse as we had to drive into the downtown from this location anyway. Wal-Mart was directly across the street, but I didn't see how a person could walk to it. Maybe it's a good location for the Casino (via shuttle... again, I don't think you could walk anywhere), but we didn't go there.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Econo Lodge South? Share your experiences!