“A wonderful and relaxing experience. Will definitely come back.” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Petoskey
Lebanon, Ohio
“A wonderful and relaxing experience. Will definitely come back.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

This was our first time at this hotel/resort and area and we loved every minute of it.

The only cautions I can provide are (a) be sure to get a bay-facing room, and (b) this place is a bit pricey so be prepared to shell out a few bucks. If you have the $$$ though, it is definitely worth it. We don't stay at upscale locations often, and I would put this resort into that bracket. Upscale in location, feeling, service, dining and overall quality. But, and this is important, not at all snobby.

I caution against getting a "resort" view room.... simply because that view is basically just a parking lot with some condos in the distance. Nothing pretty to look at. The view from the bay-facing rooms, however, is wonderful.

From the moment we drove up until we drove at the close of our stay, we had nothing but wonderful service and in a great facility and location. The room was attractively decorated and not just cookie-cutter in feel. The restaurants were relaxed while still being a bit upscale.

It is an enjoyable and short walk from the hotel over to the small marina and village shops nearby. Having this available added to the fun. Also, being so close to the beautiful town and lake of Charlevoix was appreciated.

On our trip we had first stayed up in Mackinaw City for 2 nights prior to coming down to Bay Harbor. We now see that it would be quite easy to simply spend the whole stay at this lovely resort and then drive up to Mackinaw City, should we desire to go out to Mackinac Island.

We are not golfers and can't speak to the quality of this golf course. Actually, prior to staying here I had feared that this would be a resort overrun by golfers... not so. You would barely know that there is apparently a golf course somewhere nearby.

We will be coming back and our kudos to the great staff.

Oh... get the package which includes the breakfast and a resort credit if it is available. We enjoyed these extra benefits.

Room Tip: Definitely get a room facing the bay. Avoid the rooms facing the "resort".
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Beautiful location, fabulous room, friendly staff. I was attending a conference with my husband, and availed myself of the services at the spa one afternoon. I had a fabulous 50-minute massage, and then my hair was expertly styled at the salon. What struck me most was the friendliness and enthusiasm of the staff. Everyone went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable.

Our room was huge and filled with light. We overlooked the pool and Little Traverse Bay. I think the room is also a condo; it had a full kitchen, a closet room with washer and dryer, kitchen nook, and living area with fireplace. There was also a lovely patio.

The only drawback was, there was no bedroom. There were adjoining bedrooms, but they had been given to other guests of the hotel. In fact, the hotel was full. We had a Murphy bed that was pulled down and made up for us. At first I protested. I have a bad back, and didn't relish the idea of sleeping on a pull-out bed. But the staff assured me that it was a regular mattress and I would be comfortable; if not, they would move us as soon as another room became available. The bed was perfectly comfortable--the same as a regular bed.

My husband and I have stayed at the Inn several times. Each time, it has been a delight, and this was no exception.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Grosse Pointe, Michigan USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

From the gracious hospitality of the staff to the fine as well as casual diniing on site, and most of all the grand experience overall on the Little Traverse Bay (which is not so little: you think you're at ocean side)............a fantastic place to celebrate a special occasion. Toney, well maintained, and muted elegance surround you. A business center with three computer stations and a decent Fitness facility iare on site. There's shuttle service to the nearby Odawa Indian casino nearby that also offers fine dining as well as a casual buffet. You will have access to more than 45 holes of prime golf nearby. Petoskey is reminiscent of small town USA: immaculate, well maintained, upscale shopping and dining, with nearby Lake Michigan/Traverse Bay towns to check out within a short driving distance. A summer delight, with winter sports at nearby Boyne ski locations. It's a highly rated Marriott Renaissance hotel at which you may use or rack of rewards points. While a nice perk, It's not really necessary to get a suite with a water view; you can dine at two restaurants on site with a 180 degrees view of the Little Traverse Bay, read in the shade, swim, use the outdoor bar, play lawn chess or corquet, relax on the sandy beach, or tak a walk on the curving paved walkway along the banks of the water. There were a couple of outdoor weddings celebrated on the bank of the bay while we were there. The grounds are meticulously groomed and a perfectionist might find a need for more supervisory checks all around the premises' exterior grounds.

Minor drawbacks include: cold and drafty fine dining facility when the temps drop, occasional minor lapses in maintenance/repair -- to the eye of a perfectionist like me that my spouse considers nitpicky on my part.

The most well trained and friendly staff awaits your arrival, making your stay (and ours) a nearly perfect "honeymoon." (We were celebrating a 50th wedding anniversary)

Room Tip: I doubt there's a bad choice among the wide-ranging options; even the so-called quarry view is...
Streetsboro, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The hotel is beautiful, the room was perfect. I loved the Aveda toiletries and chocolates on the bed. Everything was very clean and luxurious. As to the mediocre part, I felt the cocktails where well made but not very inventive, the restaurant food was enticing but not great and the staff was a hit or miss on service.

There seem to be a lot of weddings held here and they all looked beautiful but if you are going to bed early or don't want to be limited by this, just a heads up. It could have been due to the weddings, but the night I checked in there were children running around all over the place: on the treadmills in the gym, playing hide-n-seek in the stairwells, crying in the lobby, and running through the hallways. This seemed above average of child attendance.

To end on a positive note, the beach had a great selection of Petoskey stones. I took a bunch home to try to polish.

Canton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stay there on Aug 29 2013, Its very beautiful. The rooms are nice and clean, the stuff are super nice. The food was very good but expensive, the whole place is expensive. But I have to say for the price $515.28 for one night, it could been alot better. Dinner for two $78.00 and one drink, but I get a credit of $70.00 for the stay. If it was around $300- $350 ok. But way over price at $515.28. I don't know if I'am wrong but for the price, I would think it should be alot more Grander.

Room Tip: I don't know the price but lakeside view would be the best.
Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

We stayed at this resort on a girls' trip (we are in our 40's and our moms are in their 70's). We had a lovely time. The views are beautiful and the staff was professional and friendly. The Bay Harbor Village is a very short walk away with shopping and restaurants.

The beach itself is very rocky. Although some swam in the water there, most guests were utilizing the shoreline searching for Petoskey stones. Petoskey State Park has a better beach area if you are looking to swim in the lake.

The spa at the resort was wonderful! I had one treatment and wished I had scheduled more. Make sure to reserve your spa time in advance. I did not and was not able to book much once I got there.

The rooms were clean and I would recommend paying the extra money for the lake views....totally worth the extra cost.

I would have rated this a 5 except for the following reasons:

1. Smokers everywhere. While I am sure some of the rooms were non-smoking, we slept with our sliding glass door open to enjoy the sound of the waves but were awakened at 5:30am by the horrendous smell of smoke coming from another balcony. Then again an hour later. There were several times when smoke interfered with our enjoyment of the resort. It would be so much nicer if they were to eliminate smoking from the entire property.

2. The restaurant Sagamore's was a disappointment. I ordered a filet mignon which was priced at $46 to be cooked medium and it was brought to me well done. I sent it back, but the rest of my party was completely done eating and my steak had yet to be served. So, I ended up canceling the order. They did take it off my bill and boxed the new steak up for me, but we did not return to the restaurant.

Other than those two minor disappointments, we enjoyed our stay there. I will definitely return with my husband and kids. The golf in the area is fabulous! The polite staff went out of their way to be helpful and courteous.

Room Tip: Pay the extra and get a lake view!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Lansing, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Recently dined at the South American Grille with family celebrating a 50th birthday. It was a Saturday night and had a little bit of a wait but was well worth it especially with the sun setting over Little Traverse Bay. Food was ok a little bit pricey and seems like portion sizes have reduced from future years. Out waiter was yound and very polite and have not had a bad experience there yet. There is seating outside along with an outdoor swimming pool and cabanas sit at waters edge on the bay. My family mainly goes there to watch the sunsets in which they are absolutely amazing!! There was a wedding on the bay and a rehearsal dinner also outdoors and it was just beautiful. If in the wedding mode this would be a excellant choice for a wedding destination. If nothing else stop by the Inn, have a drink and enjoy the awesome view of Little Traverse Bay. You do not have to be staying at the Inn to enjoy all it has to offer.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Inn at Bay Harbor - A Renaissance Golf Resort? Share your experiences!