“Non Starter” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 9 Petoskey B&B and Inns
Lansing, Michigan
“Non Starter”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Last year I tried to book a reservation for an event that was advertised online. Was told the price was going to be $40 more than what was quoted online. When I questioned the discrepancy I was contacted by "one of the owners-Patty". She offered to split the difference in cost (asking me to pay $20 more than the advertised price). She then tried to justify her bait-and-switch by proceeding to give me a lecture on the "value" of the event and admonished that "everyone else attending will pay full price". As a Customer Service Manager for over 20 years I was nothing short of appalled. Suffice it to say I will never consider nor recommend Terrace Inn to anyone.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Traverse City, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

We attended the Valentine's Day weekend this year (2013) and are thoroughly delighted. The package is worth every cent, the dance (and the dance lessons) were great, and we are already planning to attend next year.
The package included a room for two nights, dance lessons, two breakfasts, one dinner, and a horse-drawn wagon ride around the Bay View community. All of the staff were great and the owners personally saw to guests' comfort and convenience. Next year I want to get the haunted room upstairs; the only thing I missed was the ghost!

Room Tip: This is our second time here and and we have had the same room each time. However, people gather ar...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Fowlerville, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I just returned from a weekend Yoga retreat at the Terrace Inn with renouned Yoga instructor, Cindy Gray. The Inn is filled with charm and charecter and turned out to be a great place to practice Yoga. The owners, Patty and Mo, welcomed us like family. There are several lounge areas to sit and read or simply relax. The Inn is situated in the middle of the 100+ year old Victorian Bay View neighborhood and is 2 blocks from Lake Michigan and there are many parks in the area. It's a great place to walk, run or cross country ski or just sit on the porch take in the view. The food was excellent. The Chicken Hemingway and potato leak soup can't be beat.

If you go in the winter, be sure to book a sleigh ride through the neighborhood. It's a lot of fun and the driver is knowledgable about the area.

I love this Inn, I love the area, and I will return. However, I will not stay in Room #211. I stayed alone in the room and had a hair-raising experience with one of the paranormal inhabitants. I was told later that a lot of the paranormal activity takes place in this room and in this wing of the building, mostly on the 2nd and 3rd floors. I have chills just typing about it. There are many people who enjoy this type of thrill. In fact, the Inn hosts a Ghost Hunting weekend each October. However, this girl has booked Rm 100, a large jaquzzi suite with less reported "activity", and is bringing her husband on another weekend in the fall.

Room Tip: Some rooms only have small showers, others have both shower and bath, and some have jetted tubs. If...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

This was our second stay at the The Terrace Inn. We enjoyed it as much as the first. You have to like older places to stay here. The fixtures and amenities are up to date, but the rooms are as they were in older hotels. The staff is quite helpful; they even sent a pair of left behind earrings to me. We particularly enjoyed sitting by the fire in the main lobby. Most everything else in Bay View is closed in the winter so be prepared to drive a couple of miles if you want to shop or go to another restaurant. The dining room at the inn is nice, and the food good.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I generally shy away from older properties as I don't like antique bathrooms, but this place blew me away. Everything was updated-bathrooms, fixtures, beds, linens, new carpet, fresh wall paper and paint. However, the Antique touches and original architecture still remain. When we walked in, it was eerily reminiscent of the Stanley Hotel from "The Shinning." After talking to the hilarious staff-including Igor, one of the night managers-it was less creepy and more "Transylvania 6-5000." Best winter trip yet. I'll be back!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I absolutely love staying at the Terrace Inn and have been staying here for years for both work and personal trips. I stayed again last week and as always, had a great experience. Patti and Mo, the owners, are great hosts! You will relax and forget about day to day stresses once you enter the idyllic Bayview community. The setting is so unique and it will make you feel like you have stepped back in time. The Terrace Inn is very clean and comfortable. There is an ecclectic mix of antiques and folk style decor and I think that is part of the charm. It is not generic like your typical hotel. You will feel like you are a guest at someone's home. It is a very personal feeling. The beds and bed linens Patti uses are super comfortable and the rooms are very clean! You will wake up to the sound of birds singing outside your window. There is a real fireplace in the lobby where you can relax or read by the fire. A very nice breakfast is included in your already a great value room rate. You can go for walks in Bayview and admire the architecture of the hundreds of Victorian style homes and cottages or enjoy shopping and dining in Petoskey or Harbor Springs which is also closeby.

Room Tip: Showers are small so a room with a tub/shower is better.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Onaway, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

This year was my first time visiting the Terrace Inn in Bay View, MI. My daughter and I attended the Ghost Hunt overnight and we left as happy visitors. I loved the beautiful interior of the Inn, felt like I had walked into a nostalgic space, they did a great job of restoring the Terrace to almost the original state. The staff was courteous at all times, the rooms were beautiful and immaculate and the food was superb. I even experienced some hair raising experiences in our room throughout the night. I was terrified but excited, I will be attending again next year. All the stories I've heard throughout the years about the strange and ghostly occurances.....I am now a believer.

Room Tip: Ask the front desk when you make your reservation which rooms have the most occurances of strange vi...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
terracePetoskey, Owner at Terrace Inn and 1911 Restaurant, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
This is the owner, Patty, referred to as gossipy and judgmental by this guest who attended our annual ghost hunter weekend. Her sister in law brought 2 daughters, age 5 and 10, to the ghost hunter weekend. While it is the policy that no children are allowed under age 13, (without prior approval of the owners) I assessed the first day that they were smart, sweet, well-behaved young ladies and were there to have fun. I took pictures of them in their costumes before trick or treating, sent them right away to their mom..and had them pose with the scary witch we had set up. I was joking with them, and they were having a good time. At check out I was talking to our guests about something totally different that I experienced with my parents when I was age 12 at a Halloween Event in which was supposed to be "fun scary" and they played night of the living dead and scared us all to death..my sister, my friend, and me..but of course I made my parents stay til the end. Anyway, there was nothing said about her parenting or anything about the girls. I think that they may have been expecting comments about the girls (only 2 guests said anything) and assumed my conversation was about her/them and it wasn't. As for gossipy, I am not. I am friendly and innocently talking with other guests. It is too bad that everyone ended up feeling bad because that didn't have to happen. I don't appreciate being called names on trip advisor..it would have been in "better form" to have spoken to me at the time and clarified what you thought I said. If I said something I shouldn've have, I would have apologized. I also asked other guests about the dinner and they all raved about the food. This put down was just an added criticism.
I hope anyone reading this can see through it and not take this opinion as me being a terrible person..I am not and I have lots and lots of guests to say otherwise.

Been to Terrace Inn and 1911 Restaurant? Share your experiences!