“Extra Ordinary Service” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Petoskey
United States
“Extra Ordinary Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

My sincerest compliments to the extra service granted to my family by Nancy Dingman, Donna Howard & Megan. We received top notch service even before we had a family emergency. All these fine women did was kick it up a notch and help us get through a difficult situation. Would like to thank you again and just say there is no better place to stay in Petoskey.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the pool and elevators are quiter when high school ski teams are training.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
rural michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I stayed one night on a business trip and had a very good experience. As others have written the outside is beautiful and the room was nice as well. The things that are important to me are cleanliness, comfort and convenience. This hotel provided all of those. The room was immaculate with plenty of good sized towel, not those tiny thin ones you sometimes see. The bed and pillows were comfortable, although my personal preference is a slightly softer mattress. There is an in room refrigerator and coffee maker. Had I needed them, it would have been great. So often I'm staying for a couple nights somewhere and want a refrigerator for drinks, etc. I used the pool and spa and they were also clean. The water was nice and the spa wasn't too hot. The floor around the pool was quite slick however, and I nearly fell. My only complaint is that the fan in the bathroom made a clicking noise while in the off position. I mentioned it before going to the pool and they said he would look at it while I was there. When I got back to the room, I did hear it click once then fell asleep. I woke later and heard it clicking again which was mildly disturbing.

Some other things I liked about the hotel was the complimentary limo service you could use to go anywhere in a 3 or so mile radius. I didn't use it, but was nice if you needed it. They also would deliver your breakfast to you if you desired. I didn't see any cost involved, but again, didn't use it. Oh.. and I felt breakfast was over too soon - 9:30 a.m.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel for anyone whether business or pleasure.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Bay City, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We have nothing but good things to say regarding this stay. The staff was excellent, very helpful with recommendations. Room was clean and up to date. Bed was very comfortable. The view overlooking the valley was gorgeous. Only complaint is I listened to the person in the room next to us snore all night,,,,the walls are pretty thin.

Room Tip: Request a room overlooking the valley.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

We stayed for three nights in a two bedroom presidential suite. It must have been named for one of our worst presidents. The outside of the hotel looks great. It is relatively new and impressive. The rooms are marginal at best. Our suite had a tiny common area with a mini-kitchenette. There was not even a table, so I am puzzled as to why they bothered with a kitchenette. All of the finishes were constructed from the cheapest materials possible. The plaid carpet from 1979 was a particularly tacky touch. The one redeeming quality was the enormous master suite bath. It was almost too large.The workout room was hot and consisted of three pieces of equipment.The breafast area in the lobby was decent size and the free breafast was okay. There is NO sound insulation so be prepared to hear every noise all night long. The staff was friendly. It is right across from the casino, so prepare to share the hotel with busloads of only the classiest people. There is no Petoskey charm for this overly-priced motel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Munith,MI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Extremely Extremely nice hotel. Very nice that the hotel gave me a room upgrade. Very new hotel i might say also. The pool was nice and staff was extremly friendly. The Breakfast wasn't so great, the reason I think thing were sitting out because the hotel wasn't even half full the night of my stay.I would most diffently come back and stay at this hotel. Though I would try to get a room on the top floor. I don't think the walls and cealing are thick enough in this hotel. I was awoken to people walking and a suit case rolling alone the floor. .

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Parma, Mi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

We had a 'Girl's Week end' for shopping and gambling. We took the limo to the casino Saturday night and the driver was great. The only suggestion we have for the room is to have a full curtain to darken the balcony light that cannot be turned off. The privacy curtain is fine in the daytime. The breakfast buffet is terrific with lots to choose from and a wonderful staff. The young man at the desk on Saturday night was also great. Sorry we didn't get his name. This was our second stay at this hotel and we will be back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Boston, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We stayed here just this past weekend during a mini-break to visit somewhat nearby Fiske Orchard and to drive the Tunnel of Trees (both great fall activities that I would highly recommend). The hotel looked nice enough online and seemed to fit our basic needs - a clean place to stay, pool for our toddler to play in during downtime, nice valley view room option - but I have to say that I was pretty disappointed with the end result.

I was very surprised to later learn that the hotel was just built in 2007 because parts of it (the carpeting and elevators in particular) look like they're about 20 years old. Our room was clean enough, with the separated bedroom and living space that we were looking for so that my husband and I could relax and watch a movie near the in-room fireplace after we put our toddler to bed. Great in theory, except the fireplace did nothing but make a loud fan noise and there was no option to order on-demand movies so we were stuck with whatever was on TV that night.

The biggest complaint that I have about this hotel is the paper-thin walls, as other reviewers have referenced. We received a call from the front desk at around 9:30pm and were told that the person in the room below us had complained about our "walking loudly", which was interesting because we were sitting on the couch watching television and not moving around the room at all. There was a wedding group staying at the hotel on the night that we were there, so I'm sure that played into the numerous door slams and loud voices that carried throughout the night, but the last straw for me came when I was woken up at 1 in the morning by the sound of people in the room next to us having, um, intimate relations. Frankly, it was disgusting how clearly we could hear what was going on and I can honestly say that I'm sure that it was more due to the poor design of the hotel than how well things were going for the couple next door.

The contintental breakfast was nothing amazing (standard cereal, bagels, pancake machine), but would have worked as a quick bite before we headed out the next morning had there not been people wandering the dining room without shoes (and one without a shirt), immediately making me lose my appetite. We ate at the Bob Evans down the road instead.

The good news is that the pool area was nice, our bed was comfortable, the people that we interacted with at the front desk were very nice, and we did get a pretty good laugh and take-home story from the goings-on in the room next to us. That being said, I don't think I'd ever stay at this hotel again if we were in the area, especially for the price that we ended up paying ($186/night).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Petoskey? Share your experiences!