“Awesome experience!” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Biking Trails, Sports
23 attraction reviews
“Awesome experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

The Wheelway is a must do if you are in this area! Trail is kept extremely clean and well maintained. Scenery is beautiful. Park in Petoskey is a great pit stop and offers spectacular views.

Visited July 2013

Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Beautiful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

This trail is great for biking. Starting in Petoskey, you follow the bay for about 10-15 min I think, with stunning views. There is the occasional park with bathrooms along the trail. It runs all the way to Charlevoix, though I did not make it that far. It passes by some large resorts and private communities. When you hit townline rd. there is a park down the road called West Park I believe with a nice walking trail to the lake again. A nice break from biking, and not often traveled, yet very beautiful.

Visited June 2013
Rochester Hills, Michigan
15 attraction reviews
“Nice Easy Biking”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

We rode this in two separate segments on different days. The section between Charlevoix and Petoskey is definitely the better section, as between Petoskey and Harbor Springs there are a lot of sections where you're close by a busy road.

Visited June 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
37 attraction reviews
“One of the best I've ridden”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

This trail is the perfect combination of wide and sharp turns, a little bit of elevation change, and excellent scenery. I enjoyed it thoroughly. It connects well to the towns of Petoskey, Harbor Springs and Charlevoix. There's two places along the trail where you might get confused. The connectors to Harbor Springs and Charlevoix have you riding through town a little bit. I required the use of my smart phone to keep myself oriented.

You can ride through the towns and explore them as well. There's lots of access points along the way, so you can park anywhere along the trail. Much of the parking is free.

There are places to stop and eat along the way, but few of them are on the trail. You'll have to get off the trail. Bicycle racks are available in the towns, but not as many as I thought were necessary.

I was there in late May and there were huge clouds of little black bugs. They stick to your clothes and face. I don't know if it happens all the time, but I suggest a handkerchief or something for your nose and mouth and glasses for your eyes. I saw a few riders with dust masks.

If I ever get out that direction again, I'll definitely ride that path.

Visited May 2013
Harbor Springs, Michigan
7 attraction reviews
“Best bike ride you'll have”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

I can think of no other place to enjoy your bike. The path is paved and wide. The views are breathtaking, take your camera. You can go from Harbor Springs to Charlevoix and never leave the path.

Visited June 2012