“Great food, awful service” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Italian, Pizza, Pizza & Pasta
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Dinner
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Great food, awful service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

I travel to Northern Michigan with family every summer. I absolutely love the pizza at Papa Lou's but the service is terrible. Last year we didn't even go because of past experiences there. This year we decided to give it a try thinking maybe something had changed. Unfortunately, it hadn't. The servers and hostess were still rude and slow and unhelpful. They also made a mistake with our order and the server actually argued with me about it. I ended up ordering something else and they still charged me for the wrong item that I didn't order (and that they took back). The manager came out and said there was nothing they would do about it. We paid for our food but the server got no tip whatsoever and I told the manager I would not recommend this place to anyone nor would I ever come back. We certainly learned our lesson this time and won't be going here any more when we vacation. It's a shame because the food is actually great, but that doesn't make up for the terrible service and attitudes of the people who work there. There are many better places to go in this area, such as Mim's Mediterranean, Side Door Saloon, City Park Grille and Knot Just a Bar!

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Austin, Texas
“Yummy pizza!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012 via mobile

We were a family of 6 eating pizza on the back porch watching a storm move in, and both the pizza and setting were great. The pizza really is outstanding. Great crust, plenty of toppings (and I am a topping snob.). We give it 6 thumbs up.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Northern Michigan
“Great for lunch or dinner - easy going pub with good food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I love the food at Papa Lou's. One of my favorites is the burger on a pretzel bun, turkey reuben and so much more. Great starters too.

One down side- I love sitting outside but there are bees hanging around - I'm allergic so I don't feel relaxed when I sit there.

Visited July 2012
Mentor, Ohio, United States
“Disappointing at best”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Started with an awkward attempt at a house salad and finished with a very mediocre greasy pizza. Won't go a 2nd time!

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Wayne
“Good Pizza - HORRIBLE business ethics”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

My friend and I went to this restaurant because it was conveniently located near our condo and we wanted something fast but good. When we came in, it was not very busy at all. We had about two seperate parties in front of us and they seated them quickly. When it came to us to be seated, we were completely dismissed. We had numerous staff members walk past us like we were not even there. We waited almost 12 minutes and decided to walk around and seat ourselves. We found a great spot on their outside patio. Again, we sat there for at least 15 minutes and had to ask if we could see a menu or get waited on. One of the waiters asked if we followed procedure and waited to be sat by staff and we told them how long we waited...he whispered something to another staff/waiter, they snickered and that was the end of that. Five minutes later we flagged down a waitress who rudely gave us a menu and took our drink order. Everyone around us was offered popcorn as they were seated and appeared to have good service. When we did finally get drinks and pizza is was very good. The service was the worst that I ever had. I have NEVER been treated the way I was treated there. If it was not with my friend, I would have made a scene - demanded to see management (not that they would care..did they even have management...and then left the restaurant). There are plenty of other great restaurants around there that I am sure would have loved to have our business.

• Visited August 2012