“To Know Mona Is To Love Her!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Delivery
Boyne Falls, Michigan
“To Know Mona Is To Love Her!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

I hate to see any local business close, and I'm sad to see Flat Iron close. Mona (the owner) is a hard core scrappy New Yorker. If you think she's rude, you just don't know New York. Yes, she can be abrupt...call it rude, but she has been through a lot in the past couple of years, not that this excuses rude. In her defense, she always had a cookie gratis for my daughter, and she loved loved dogs and always had turkey for my dogs. I wish her well. PS her Monday special "Chicken and Noodles" was to die for...

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

57% Recommend
Lansing, MI
“Place is closed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

We went by today for lunch and the Flat Iron has closed. Too bad as it was the best place for sandwiches ever and we like the owner very much. She had opened a second shop during the recession and it ended up being bad timing.

Visited February 2013
Northern Michigan
“Great sandwiches, unfriendly, inappreciative owner”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I love Flat Iron Deli sandwiches...there's no two ways about it, their deli reuben could be the best sandwich in Petoskey. Unfortunately, I think today's lunch was probably my last at Flat Iron. I've been eating Flat Iron sandwiches for the better part of 20 years and my only complaint has always been the negative attitude of the owner, Mona. I try to be friendly and cheerful, but without exception, am always met with a frown and negativity. Other posters have hit the nail right on the head, saying that she acts like selling you a sandwich is doing you a favor. With so many other wonderful food options in Petoskey, I've decided I'm going to give my money to small business owners who appreciate my business.

• Visited November 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Michigan
“Decent food, pricey, & atmosphere?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

Ordered the Italian sandwich and it was fine. Bread was especially good, but meat on sandwich could have improved for the $7.95 price tag. We were hungry so that sandwich was better then average. Small shop with limited seating overall. Clean and neat with the elderly lady running everything nearly alone. She was pleasant to us, asked about the food, and invited us back as we departed. Suitable place to grap a quick lunch.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Westland, Michigan
“Not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012 via mobile

Stopped in for a sandwich and did not feel like I was very welcome at all. I actually felt like I was interrupting the staff in personal conversation. It was very pricey and did not get enough meat on the sandwich, but the bread was good. Prices were too high and I did not even get a bag for my 4 sandwiches and soup. The girl asked did I want crackers with my soup, i replied yes and did.not receive them.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere