“A relaxing and refreshing get-away, comfortable as home without chores!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Candlewyck House

The Candlewyck House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pentwater
The Candlewyck House
P.O. Box 392, Pentwater, MI 49449   |
Ranked #2 of 9 Pentwater B&B and Inns
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“A relaxing and refreshing get-away, comfortable as home without chores!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

I always look forward to a few nights here before picking up my daughter at camp. The room is cozy & comfortable, clean & cheerful! There are always snacks and drinks available in the dining room and the fridge in the kitchen is open to all. Breakfast is delectably filling, complete with fruit, muffins, meat, eggs, casseroles...I only need one other meal. The hosts have been accomodating for early check-out or very late arrival. There are a dozen bikes for guests, and hosts share a wealth of information about this lake area, from current events, activities, history, entertainment. My visits to Pentwater, and especially Candlewyck House, are peaceful and restorative. Thank you!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

37 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Orlando
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

Several of my family members stayed here for a couple days to be near our family reunion. My wife, our 3-year old, and myself stayed in the Fireside Suite, which is upstairs at the back of the house. It's a terrific room with it's own entrance, which made it very quiet and private. We were very thankful it had good AC. The bed was just okay, nothing fancy in terms of comfort. But it is very squeaky so if you have romance in mind everyone is going to know about it! :)

The house itself was warm and cozy. It's not a "luxury" B&B, but everything was clean and working. Staying there reminded me of when I was a kid and I used to sleep over at friends' houses. You didn't have to worry about walking through the kitchen or asking for anything, and I love the fact that there is still a town in America where you can leave your doors unlocked 24/7 and never worry about a thing. In fact, when we got there the owners were running errands and the house was empty, but it was wide open and they invited us to make ourselves comfortable until they returned.

The dining room was a bit tight on space with a full house, but it made for an intimate breakfast where you got to know the others staying there. The food was great. Basically, you always get a side of fruit and sausage with every breakfast, with something different each day as the main course. The coffee was ok if a bit weak (coming from a Starbucks drinker). The owners were great about asking if we needed anything else. The only thing that would have made it better is if they could have provided a plain kids meal since our kid (like most I'm sure) is a picky eater.

I highly recommend this B&B and it's worth paying the extra few bucks for the Fireside Suite.

Room Tip: Pick the Fireside Suite
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
East Lansing, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

This seven room B&B is a restored late 1800's house with two newer rooms with a separate entrance. The English Ivy room is the best by far and if privacy is an issue some of the others would take some tolerance. It is located just a short walk from town and fairly close to the beach so location is the prime reason for booking here. The TVs are a bit dated/small and you don't see VHS players much any more, and the magazines were from 1996 but there is internet availabile. Our bed was good and the room was quiet.
This is a B&B where the kitchen is sort of shared with the hosts so it is a bit more intimate than others we've stayed at. The hosts are very charming and knowledgeable and the breakfast was good. We found it odd that the breakfast was served only at 9:00 for all the guests at once with no flexibility.
Overall we enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Book English Ivy
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Arlington, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Candlewyck House B & B and had a wonderful time!!! This was our 1st trip to Pentwater and Mary Jo & John (owners) made us feel like family! They were a "hoot"!
We were treadted to the most wonderful breakfast and a basket of "snacks" was always on hand! The rooms are delightful, homey and very clean!! We were offered to "take a bicycle" to ride into town and the beach, we did and felt like kids again!
Pentwater was having an Arts and Crafts Spring Show, so it was great not having to park a car.
The Candlewyck has the most relaxing and beautiful patio/yard, all the flowers and birds make for a very enjoyable cup of morning coffee and a nice glass of wine in the evening!
Many thanks to Mary Jo and John for adding that "something extra" to our weekend!!
Angie & Keith

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Traverse City, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2010

The Candlewyck House is in a great location - close to downtown and the beach. The complimentary bike was fun. The room was very comfortable and quiet, with the patriotic decor making it a one of a kind.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Manistee, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2010

We felt so at home for being there just one night. Me and my "hubby"(as John said) had so much fun there, We absorbed so much on our trip without feeling overwhelmed. There was plenty in town to do when we were feeling like we wanted to go, and the house was a perfect place when we just wanted to not. The hosts were the nicest people, and the breakfast was amazing. We decided we'd go back anytime we had an excuse.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Oatman, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2010

I came here for a night and just fell in love. I have never felt more comfortable in a home as i did this one. The owners were wonderful, cheerful, happy, always treating me nice. The breakfast was absolutely great. The location of the house to the town and the beach is just breath-taking. I couldnt ask for more in a bed&breakfast.
If ANYONE were to want to stay at a place, it would be the Candlewyck. It was just perfect.
The food, the beverages, how well kept the rooms were, always being taken care of.
Although the weather wasn't so up to par as I was here, I couldnt have asked for more.
I loved it.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo

Been to The Candlewyck House? Share your experiences!