“Great experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Freighters View on the Bay

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Paradise
Freighters View on the Bay
10346 N Whitefish Point Road, open 4/15-10/31, Paradise, MI 49768   |
Ranked #2 of 5 hotels in Paradise
“Great experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Friendly host. Acceptable small accommodations, rustic up north feel. Close to scenic areas. Store very close by. Not much else to choose from and even my special needs child did fine. They swam in Lake Superior, kayaked, and made our dinner. Don't hesitate on this location, don't expect luxury. we saw a caterpillar in late August which was strange since they are gone by summer in Detroit.

Stayed August 2012

29 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I took the kids on a road trip to the UP and stayed here for one night. The property is very small—4 units—so book early in higher seasons. The rooms are not luxury suites, but that isn't why you come here. The location on the other hand overlooks Lake Superior. And by overlook, I mean the lakeshore is the property's boundary.

The rooms are a little outdated, but who cares? The beds are comfortable and warm. The water got hot. The room was clean. The TV gets plenty of channels if you should find yourself stuck inside. The wifi worked as advertised too.

The rate was good, and the owner lives on property and was quick to take care of our needs. I would not hesitate to stay here again. In fact, I'd like to get my wife up here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

The room was adequate with hanging space, drawers, shower, refrigerator and coffee service. There was a problem with the heating the first night but the owner fixed it promptly. The owners are very friendly and accommodating with a bag of Famous Amos Chocolate cookies waiting for us on a windy and chilly night. The room is nicely decorated in a rustic manner and we had two beds with a sleeper couch. The view out the window is of breakers on Lake Superior and with the fall color it was magical. Of the places I have seen in Paradise this would probably be my first choice. Not fancy but for what it is and for the price this my wife and I highly recommend it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Springfield, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

I was somewhat reluctant about the accomodations at Freighters View due to some past reviews, but sure am glad we stayed! First of all, it was right on the the water's edge and the dock was right outside our cabin (#3) door. No, the units are not fancy, but certainly comfortable. We had my 90 year old Mother and our 14 year old grandson with us and there was plenty of room for all of us. My Mother enjoyed sitting on the dock and our grandson loved kayaking and swimming in the lake. Nikki was extremely helpful and brought the kayaks to us as soon as we returned from Whitefish Point. The view, lakeside activities and grill and picnic table right outside our cabin were perfect and the sunrise was beautiful. We all agreed that this was a great experience and I really do think it offered the most fun at any motel/hotel/cabin we stayed during our 2 week exploration of the five Great Lakes. We were there in July 2012 and I would definitely recommend staying at Freighters View! Hopefully, we will make it back there and stay longer.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Merrill, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

nice room, fair rate. the motel is right off the road very close to road it is also close to the lake.the view for cabin one is ok we went in the fall so we did not use the viewing decks on the lake the decks would give you a great view not much of a beach.while sleeping you can hear road traffic no big deal

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Midland, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

This place was absolutely fantastic! From the location to the accommodation it was just what you would expect from a small motel in a rural area.
To begin, we arrived after a 7 hour travel day to be greeted by Duanne and checked in. The process was quick and painless...
The view right from the get go was stunning. Sweeping vistas of Whitefish Bay, freighters in the distance approaching the Soo Locks and the sounds of the water lapping up on shore were instantly relaxing.
There are four units here, each with a car port right next to the front door. Picnic tables and gas grills are also provided lakefront for each unit. I think 3 units have kitchens (unit 1 does not) and some rooms are pet friendly.
The room was very spacious and immaculately clean. They are definitely more like a rustic cabin. Do not expect a high end city hotel. It is exactly how it should be to fit into the surroundings.
Duanne and Nikki started a bonfire and most of the other guests joined and chatted til the wee hours. Everyone was friendly and respectful of those who were sleeping yet a good time was still had by all!
I would highly recommend this motel for anyone travelling in the U.P. It is perfectly located for day trips to Tahq Falls, the shipwreck museum, the Soo, Pictured Rocks, etc....
Don't second guess yourself. Book here. If my travels ever take me back to UP Michigan I will not hesitate to stay with Duanne and Nikki at the Freighters View. Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Somerset, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

If you want to be close to the water and be lulled to sleep listening to the waves, this is the place. About 50 ft from you door to the water's edge. The decor is a little dated, but very clean and it brought back memories of staying in my grandmother's cottage years ago. If you are riding motorcycles great place to stay since there is a cover carport attached to each cottage, great if it's starts to rain. We had the cottage with a small kitchen which had refrigerator and stove, fully equiped with dishes and pots and pans.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Freighters View on the Bay? Share your experiences!