“Exceeded expectation, a great place to stay.” 5 of 5 stars

120 Lincoln Avenue, Ontonagon, MI 49953   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Ontonagon
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Chicagoland
“Exceeded expectation, a great place to stay.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

I stayed the Americinn for four nights starting June 29, 2012. I originally had planned to stay at a mom and pop type cabin down the road but changed my mind at the last minute and I am glad I did. I was expecting the Americinn to be your basic chain type hotel but it was much better, almost a mini resort.
The hotel was spotless, one of the cleanest I think I have ever been to. Not just the rooms but the entire facility. The rooms were a good size, I had a single King. Every single person I interacted with was very friendly and professional.
The hotel is located right on Lake Superior. The beach is a good size and can be sandy or semi rocky depending on the wave action the previous night. They have a couple of fire pits that somebody always had lit right about sun set, and there are plenty of chairs and picnic tables to hang out at.
The hotel is located about six miles from the Porcupine Mountain Park, which is the reason I went up there. The next town over is Ontonagan which is 13 miles east. Being 13 miles closer to the park really makes a big difference if you want to come back to the hotel during the day for a break.
They have a bar and restaurant called Porkeys which is attached to the hotel. I ate there twice, once on the day I arrived after a nine hour motorcycle ride, and on my last day. The fish and chips I had on the first night was very good, and on my last night I had the walleye which was excellent, I saved my left overs for breakfast the next day. Sometimes restaurants attached to hotels are just OK but in this case it was very good. The bar is next to the lobby and the restaurant and has a good selection of local beer. The prices for both the bar and restaurant are both reasonably priced. The next closest place to eat is in Ontonagon which is a 26 mile round trip away. I did go there to Syl’s for a pasty one night that was excellent. The hotel offers a free continental breakfast was just basic but good. Waffles and sausage were the only hot items.
The pool and hot tub at the hotel were also very clean and the water temp was just right. A great cool down after a long day of hiking.
There is a place to rent Kayaks and has ice cream about three miles west of the hotel. However as I was leaving I believe the hotel is going to be able to rent Kayaks right from the hotel.
This is a very well-run and clean hotel in a beautiful part of the country. If you want a nice clean and quiet place to stay at the end of the day and don’t was a cabin this is the only place around.
I was very pleased staying here and plan to stay here again next time I am up in the area.
Lastly, I rode my motorcycle up from Chicago but every night there were about a dozen bikes in the lot at the end of the day. So if you are looking for a long weekend motorcycle destination this is a great place. The riding and roads were fantastic.

The only negative is the smoking area/ ash trays are located literally right next to the entrance. These need to be move at least 15 feet away so you don’t have to go through a cloud of smoke every time you come and go.

Room Tip: Room 107 had a nice view of the Lake and was far enough away from everything to be quiet. Being on t...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Elk lake
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

My wife and i stay here every year. It is right on the water and if you go at the right time( When it is really hot in the mid west you will find it muck cooler. This year we timed it just right 100 Heat indexes where we live when we left. 75 degrees same day upon arrival. The staff are awsome. We were helped bye the maintenance man with a few tools and his mechanical background. The head housekeeper was also very helpful with local sightseeing activitys. We met some really nice folks and were turned on bye rock hounding and this location is good. The hotel is clean and comfortable. If you go stay in one of the rooms facing the water.Its well worth a few extra dollars.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 3rd floor are Great
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

The bear lodge five miles south is better but full. This is a typical chain worked out OK. Much better than the dive hotel at Superior Shores which was terrible.

• Stayed June 2012
Roanoke, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

Every year we come and stay here while we are hiking the wonderful Porcupine Mts. It is such a nice quiet hotel. There isn't a whole lot to choose from, but they usually leave the bar open for us. The breakfast is nice and the restraunt there at the hotel has some wonderful food. the rooms are always clean, but dated. We have had problems with the pool being extreamly cold for an indoor pool.

Room Tip: Ask for the Lake Superior side...it is so beautiful.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

WOW!!!! A great place, and recommend to everyone I know heading to the UP if they want a clean room with breathtaking views, a gift shop with the greatest blankets and books, and don't forget our favorite dessert at the restaurant--turtle cheesecake washed down with a shirley temple or try the hot fudge sundae but be prepared to share this huge dessert.
Ontonagon has tons to offer also with great food in each restaurant (Roxey's mush. swiss burger, Syl's pasties, Lighthouse restaurant's great fries and nacho supreme, and Connie's ice cream cone); a history-packed lighthouse tour; a great concert in the refurbished theatre in the old school; one of the best parks around that sits on an accessible beach to Lake Superior; and was impressive to see 400+ at the cancer fundraiser held at the community center. Ontonagon is a well-kept secret that boasts a small downtown packed with much to see and do.
See you all next year.

Room Tip: Pay the little extra for a lakeview, you won't be disappointed you did.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Jenison, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

We stayed here in the height of snowmobile season, very easy to find, smooth check in process, did not hear any other guests while in our room. We loved the local touch to the lobby and the gift shop. Had a nice continental breakfast, the front desk people were very helpful, great experience for the price!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

We stayed here last summer and enjoyed our getaway immensely. Located just miles from the Porcupine Mountains, this was great place to stay for the evening. When we checked in, our front desk clerk (can't remember her name) was so nice. Our room was clean and comfortable. The room was right next to the exterior door, and overlooking the pool. It was a busy Saturday summer evening, but we didn't hear (or pay attention to) any noise. Everyone was so friendly. We especially loved the bon-fire area at the beach, and the sunset was amazzzzing! The biting flies were having their own little smorgasbord - but we found those hungry pests all along the Lake. It would be nice to have some mats at the entraceways that trap sand, or a place to wash your feet off outside before you come in from the beach. I would recommend the AmericInn if you need a place to stay on your Upper Michigan visit.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to AmericInn Lodge & Suites Silver City? Share your experiences!