“Least expensive resort in the area” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Superior Shores Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ontonagon
Superior Shores Resort
You added Superior Shores Resort to your Saves list
26156 Highway 64, Ontonagon, MI   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Ontonagon
Minneapolis
“Least expensive resort in the area”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

The website gives the illusion that the units are spread apart, when in reality, cottage 8/9 rests on the steps of the end motel unit. Cottage #9 appears to have a new water heater proudly displayed right in the living area beneath the stairs to the smallish upstairs sleeping quarters. The refridgerator is small, but not college dorm room small. You'll find decent freezer and fridge space, a working stove/oven, microwave and coffee pot. You'll also find a mish-mash of thrift store silverware, plates, pots, pans and glasses, etc for your use. Dishtowels and dishsoap are provided as well.

There is a play area for the kids-consisting of a couple of plastic trucks in a pile of sand in the yard. Be warned that pets are allowed, so this gives the children even more 'special items' to discover in the sandy beach.

If you don't expect the Hilton, you'll be quite happy with this quirkey, unusual resort, located right on the shoreline with a great view of the sunsets and the Porcupine mountains.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2009

We stopped in here because of the inexpensive rates and were extremely pleased with our experience here. It's a very simple motel, but it's more than what I expected. The room is simply decorated and the decor is quite old-fashioned, but its EXTREMELY clean which is way more important to me. The view is outstanding. The coffee service is really homey - which I loved because I brought my own coffee but forgot the filters. The service was most excellent. LInda loaned us some books for the area that were VERY helpful.

The downside was that the hot water took a long time to warm up and there was a rather funny odor in the room... which we cured by having a scented candle. But overall we had a great experience, the value was great, and the location can't be beat!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Troy, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2009

Went for 6 nights to explore the Porcupine Mts. and surrounding area. The manager gave advice, lent books and provided brochures on local restaurants and sights. The rooms were OK, small, old, but clean, and the managers provided replacement towels etc. with a no fuss phone call.

The GPS had a hard time with the address (as does Google maps), but there is clearly visible signage on the road (M-64) just west of Ontonagon.

I took a telescope expecting a dark sky site, but the rural road the cabins are on has streetlights, so I set up on the beach. The southern quarter of the sky was blocked by trees, but the rest of the sky was beautiful and much darker than home.

Sunsets and the Porcupine Mts themselves are clearly visible from beach, and the kids swam and hunted agates every clear day.

If you are looking for quiet, be aware that at the end of August there is an annual music festival in the State Park, and the place fills up with musicians and fans. This didn't affect us much, as we were leaving just as it was starting.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
central Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2009

The dishpans outside the door tells it all...it's all about staying near the water. The beds were comfortable but the rooms are strictly no frills. Antiquated furnishings of odds and ends, no headboards, everything was OLD. Plumbing dripped, screens don't fit tight, which let bugs into our bathroom. However, we had a small refrigerator, a full size coffee pot and supplies, and a microwave. The place grows on you as you relax to the lull of the water lapping up on the sands. One room was very smelly but aired out with fans going. For those who like things plush...don't stay there. For those who can appreciate natural beauty and simplicity, it was a low cost find!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2009

Our stay at Superior Shores was very disappointing to say the least. I had called the office on tuesday february 10th and arranged the reservation with Linda, the owner. She was very friendly over the phone and told me that the only room available was cabin #11 for the days that we would be staying there.

Although it states on their website that the cabins have a 2 day minimum unless there is a single day vacancy, this was not the case. Over the phone it was plainly communicated that I would be checking in on the 14th and checking out before 11 a.m. on the 15th. She stated over the phone that she was surprised that the cabin had not been booked yet and I was glad to hear it because I thought it would be a perfect place for a romantic get-a-way.

She told me the total would be $125.00 for one night and I let her know that we would be bringing our dog with us. Pets are an extra $7 per night so the total was changed to $132 plus tax. OK everything fine......UNTIL WE ARRIVED.....

My girlfriend and I arrived at the office around 5:30 p.m. When we pulled in and stopped we met Don, the owner, coming out of cabin #11. He told us where we could park and then to go into the office to fill out paper work. As we started to fill out the papers I noticed the total on the receipt was $250 + $14. I asked about it to Don and he told me right away that they have a 2 day minimum on their cabins. I told him the same thing that Linda and I had agreed to over the phone and again he stated that they had a 2 day minimum. Linda then came into the office and Don went into the other room. I asked her about the total and she said that they had a 2 day minimum. It was like I had never even talked to this same person over the phone.

We could hear Don yell from the other room "If theres a problem let me know" and "We have a mortgage to pay for". At this point all I wanted was out and our deposit back. Don stated that they had several calls on cabin #11 and that we were the ones that had made the reservations already. We ended up staying there one night for $211.37. The cost for one and a half nights.

Not only did we get ripped off but were disrespected by the owner's hostility toward us. Don did show us to the cabin, which was 3ft. from their residence, and through his booze soaked breathe, told us good night. Never again will we set foot on their property and I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS PLACE TO ANYONE!

• Liked — When we left
  • Disliked — The owners
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2008

Our expectation was that cabin #11 was right on Lake Superior and private. We were right on the Lake but the cabin sits almost on top of the residence and office of the resort owners. The resort website led us to believe that cabin #11 was more private--it was not.
In that we were using the cabin as a base while we did day hikes in the Porcupine Mountains State Park, Superior Shores was adequate for our purposes. The cabin was clean, the accommodations pleasant. The cabin includes cable tv, which we didn't need. We plan to return to the area, but we will not stay at Superior Shores again. There are cheaper options in the area if your main interest is the Porkies. Also, our experience was that customer service could have been better. There was a misunderstanding about the dates of our reservation. We had changed our reservation to one less day and communicated that change by phone. Don, the resort owner, claimed that the message was not received and charged us a portion of the rate for the day that we were were not staying there. Whatever the resort policies, this is poor customer service and we won't be back nor will we recommend Superior Shores to our friends.

• Liked — clean, pet policy (ok to have dogs)
  • Disliked — inflexibility of owner
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Urbana, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2008

I had a hard time finding an accomodation in Ontonagon, as there weren't many places listed and the ones that were were quite expensive. I came across this place through other websites. I was very satisfied with my stay. First of all, the price was really good. The couple who owned the motel were super friendly and very helpful. The motel was right on the beach and you could walk out onto the beach and see the most amazing view of the Porcupine Mountains. The room was small but very clean. It was very peaceful, except for some loud motorcyclists spending the night (but that was not the fault of the motel).

• Liked — the price, the location and the friendly staff
  • Disliked — outdoor sounds easily heard
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Superior Shores Resort? Share your experiences!