“As Expected -- Very Good” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #5 of 5 hotels in Okemos
New Jersey
“As Expected -- Very Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

The Fairfield Inn says it is in East Lansing (where our daughter goes to college), but it is actually about a 10 minute drive outside of East Lansing. In any event, it is plenty close. The property is clean, as are the rooms. The staff is pleasant and helpful. If you have a disability and need to be on the first floor, make that clear in your reservation -- although the hotel has only two floors, it doesn't have an elevator (I had just had back surgery and couldn't carry my bags upstairs and ended up having to pay more for a suite that was available on the first floor). All in all, a fine economy hotel, at which we will likely stay again when visiting my daughter at Michigan State.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Stacey W, General Manager at Fairfield Inn East Lansing, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear Il0vebaseball,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us! I understand that not having an elevator can be frustrating to our guests. We attempt to ask every guest at arrival if they would like assistance with their luggage. We truly appreciate the kind words, and look forward to the opportunity to see you again in the future!

43 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

My family has stayed at the Holiday Inn Express across the street for many years. We decided to give the Fairfield a try after a not so good experience at the Holiday Inn. (We came home with our legs covered in bug bites.)
The beds here at the Fairfield are by far superior to those at the Holiday Inn. Great mattress and high quality bedding. The bathrooms at the Holiday Inn were nicer, brighter and more spacious. Having a mini-fridge, microwave and coffee maker here was a convenient set up. Holiday Inn only had a coffee maker , I think.
Common areas ..... Holiday Inn has Fairfield beat. The pool area and the breakfast area are larger at holiday inn. Staff is friendly at both places.
All this said , what was important to us was a clean comfortable bed and peace and quiet. The night we stayed at the Fairfield they had less than ten rooms available but it was very quiet.
Glad we tried Fairfield Inn!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Stacey W, General Manager at Fairfield Inn East Lansing, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear 18kimmr,

I wanted to take a moment to thank you for reviewing our hotel. We appreciate it, and we hope to see you again in the future!
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Very clean, great staff.

I did not have trouble with the internet. Flat screens. Bare bones rooms. Bare bones bath. Quiet, comfortable beds. Great rate.

But, no elevator. What hotel, knowing every single customer has luggage, does not install an elevator?

Room Tip: Ground floor due to no elevator.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Stacey W, General Manager at Fairfield Inn East Lansing, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Guest m_b_00000,

I wanted to thank you for taking the time to write a comment and rate our hotel on your stay. I understand that it can be frustrating to our guests that our hotel does not have an elevator. Our hotel only has two floors so we attempt to help each and every guest with their luggage. I am happy to hear that your stay was pleasant and you enjoyed our amenities and the staff. Please feel free to contact me directly with any other concerns or questions you may have.
Okemos, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Hi, I'm currently hosted in Fairfield Inn, I can say that they have many good things, the service (Susie, Corri, Bethany, etc) in general the facilities are clean, but there are some things to improve, the internet is the worst internet I have ever seen at some hotel around the world, at least to now 18/10/2012 maybe tomorrow be another story, the pool takes some weeks to become clean again, by the way bynow is clean, my bills has been given to me many time with many errors, I'll spend the next two months until Dec 29th 2012, so I hope to write a 100% review when I leave Fairfield Inn. Carlos Vargas

Room Tip: There rooms in front of the park are sunlit and bright with low noise generally, the rooms at the en...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Stacey W, Manager at Fairfield Inn East Lansing, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Mr. Vargas,

I would like to thank you for this review. I know that you are a seasoned traveler with lots of experience in hotels, so I really appreciate you taking the time to review our property.

As you are still at the hotel, I have contacted our internet provider in hopes that we can resolve the issue of the slow connection. We've recently upgraded our internet to 10MB to strengthen the signal. I was disheartened in regards to your comment about the cleanliness of the pool area. We take great pride in the cleanliness of the property - including all public areas, and it is my hope that this was an isolated incident. I have shared your comments with the staff to ensure that this is corrected immediately.

I want to take a moment to apologize for the inconsistency you have experienced with billing. I have shared your frustrations with the staff, and ensure you that this will not be an issue moving forward.

However, I was delighted to hear your comments about the staff. I have shared this with the staff members you mentioned, and they are truly appreciative of the kind words! We truly strive to provide each guest with personalized customer service, and I look forward to being able to utilize this feedback as an opportunity to improve in these areas.
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

I've stayed here twice and won't stay again. If you're at this hotel for work--and it's hard to imagine anyone on vacation choosing this location--you might be disappointed. The wireless is free but it's terrible. It constantly cuts in and out. Having a solid wireless connection is so important when traveling for work! Just looking up Google maps for the area took forever. Ended up having to use my mobile wireless which is expensive, thus deleting any advantage I might have had with the hotel free wifi.
The front doors are not automatic. If you're entering the hotel with a suitcase and a briefcase--not impossible, considering that IT'S A HOTEL and people enter with luggage--the front staff just watch you struggle to get the doors open.
No elevators. If you have a suitcase, a laptop bag, a to-go dinner in a paper bag, and maybe an important work file in your hand--another scenario not too surprising for a hotel--you'll be uncomfortable getting up the stairs after you bang your arms around a bit in the non-automatic front door.
The staff are nothing special. Friendly and nice, but they won't help you much. I called the front desk to tell them my heater wasn't working. They couldn't help me. At all. There was no operations person working that night and the woman working the front desk said bluntly, "I have no idea how those things work." I asked for a different room and she said they were full. She did offer an extra blanket in case I got "too freezing" but in general seemed annoyed I was bothering her.
The rooms are a nice size and they have microwaves and fridges. And the hotel is right next to the freeway, some gas stations, a Starbucks, a couple of restaurants. So that's nice. But you can get a nicer place for the same money. Also the rooms, while big and clean looking, smell moldy. Once you've had the A/C on or the window open you can hide it, but if you walk in after being gone for the day, it's *very* unpleasant. I've stayed in two different rooms and they both smelled like mold.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Stacey W, General Manager at Fairfield Inn East Lansing, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Dear Guest “Bay A”,

Thank you taking the time to write about your experience at our hotel. I would like to apologize for the issues you encountered during both of your stays. We understand the frustration that our guests have with our front doors not being automatic and not having an elevator. Our staff tries to assist each and every guest with their luggage because of the inconveniences. In March our internet was upgraded to 10MB to help strengthen our signal for our guests. I was unaware that there were issues with our internet that evening, but I will inform our internet company immediately so that this will not be an issue anymore.

I would like to get more information from you on the rooms you stayed in so that I can follow up on the claims you had with the heater and the smell as well as the desk attendant that was working that evening. If you can please email me directly so we can further discuss your stays I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you for taking the time to bring these issues to our attention. My email address is ffi.lanfi.gm@marriott.com

Hope to hear from you soon,
Commerce Township, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

I stayed at this property last weekend to be closer to a test I was taking. When i went to check in, i had a family and friends discount due to the fact a family member works at marriott i think highly of them and all there properties inwhich i have never had a problem until now. I checked in and first i need to get on the computer to print off the release card to stay there, when asked the front desk clerk Suzzie was very rude and said that somethings couldnt be done. Once I found a computer and printed it off she then came back with a snotty response and said that i need the orginal copy and couldnt be the one i printed off, inwhich it was the orginal i just never printed it off yet. I told her that my family member was currently in new orleans and preparing to get ready for the hurricane to which I needed to print this off. She had no sense of caring about it and was just worried about the fact that i printed it off there. I love staying at marriott and love the brand but this was an unfortunate experiance and my family and I have never had problem before staying at marriotts with the family and friends rate (which isnt that big of difference) but we still like marriott as we travel alot. It is unfortunate that you have Suzzie at the front desk and how rude she is. After i got to my room i then needed to go back down because they charged my card twice she got fussy and said they cant release the double payment until 24 hours after. Im not sure if that is correct I had no intention on saying anything to my family member considering there in a middle of a hurricane in new orleans. I hope that this gets better for this property but i do not intented to stay there ever again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Stacey W, General Manager at Fairfield Inn East Lansing, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our hotel and for bringing this issue to our attention. We truly listen and appreciate all of our guests feedback and I want to apologize for the issues you had. We hope you will give us another chance if you will be traveling to the area again in the future.

Thank you.
Fennville, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

This location of the FairField in is a great choice if you are in town to attend a class or other activity at MSU. Only 8 minutes or less to the campus but far enough away to have a more relaxed atmosphere and yes, a lower daily rate! My room was very clean and fresh - not always a given when you are traveling. The staff was very friendly and extra helpful when I needed a little extra help connecting with classmates that were staying at a different hotel. Breakfast was the standard fare of waffles, oatmeal cereals etc.... but the dining room was very clean and the food was fresh and well stocked. All in all - a great place to stay!

Room Tip: They do not have an elevator so if you have trouble with stairs - request a ground level room.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Stacey W, General Manager at Fairfield Inn East Lansing, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
We are so glad to hear that you had a wonderful stay and we appreciate you taking the time to write a review for our hotel! We hope to see you again in the future and thanks for leaving the room tip for other travelers!

Been to Fairfield Inn East Lansing? Share your experiences!