“Consistent, but with issues” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #10 of 15 Hotels in Novi
Detroit, Michigan
“Consistent, but with issues”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Since I first stayed here about two years ago (I reviewed it back then), I've regularly made this my hotel of choice when in metropolitan Detroit for business. This is in part because of its excellent location and more importantly its low prices that are regularly available through Priceline. In the 20 nights I have stayed here (about once every six weeks), I've never paid more than $60 a night.

For anything under $90, this is an exceptional value. Above $90, you can probably find better.

This is an older hotel. There's no ifs, ands or buts about that. With that said, it's fairly clean and well maintained. On my most recent stay, everything in my king bed room ($55) was perfect and totally clean. On another stay, my room was poorly cleaned. Most of the staff are friendly, though some of the newer people aren't as courteous.

As others have said, the hotel can be noisy due to older walls and obsolete connecting doors. The room lighting is dark because there's no overhead lighting; it's all lamps, outside of the bathroom.

The decor isn't as bad as some have suggested and is generally comparable with a Marriott. Some of the room is dated -- the cheap art, as an example. Some of the furniture is also a bit old, as many of the desks, dressers and such have more dings than normal. The TV is excellent, as is the selection of channels. The internet is reliable, however, it should be free instead of the $10 a charge. One of the little things that irks me is the bathrobe that is provided. While I travel alone, it seems odd that only one is provided, even in rooms with double beds.

Breakfast isn't worth buying. The fitness room is nice, but the pool and hot tub could be updated. It would also be nice to have a sauna.

While the Sheraton may not have the corporate traffic it might have had years ago, it seems to do a fairly decent business off of Priceline, traveling sports teams and conventions. In 20-plus nights of staying here, it's more common to run into these sorts of guests than other business travelers.

All in all, this is a decent hotel with a great location. Corporate and/or management would be advised to spend some money upgrading the hotel, improving room lighting and reducing noise. It would also seem to be in need of major marketing, as it has a lot of assets but doesn't seem to be getting the business that it should be getting.

If you don't want to stay here, the Westin in Southfield (15 minutes to the east) or the Marriott in Livonia (10 minutes to the south) are worth considering.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Traverse City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I stayed for one night on business. The lobby area is very nice. The front desk staff was courteous. The bed was comfy. The room was dated but comfortable. Nice big flat screen with HD channels. I had an excellent steak at the bar in the restaurant in the lobby.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dallas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Stayed one night during a week-long business trip. Location is good within Novi, as it is close to several restaurants and a nice shopping area. The hotel itself needs a little love, though. The room was okay, but was in need of improvements and refreshing. One of the elevators kept breaking, so it was out of commission most of the time I was there (meaning: one elevator for the whole hotel). Breakfast was good, but service was a little lacking. Overall, it was an "okay" stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

For my three nephews' Christmas present, I planned an excursion to see "Elmo" at the Fox Theatre. Since they live over 2 hours away, I planned that we would stay overnight in a hotel near enough to Detroit so that we could get to the theatre the next day easily. The little guys range in age from 3 to 6---they're a handful. The staff couldn't have been more welcoming and helpful--assistance with the luggage, up to the room; the front desk person was very friendly and sweet to the boys. Our room was perfect---clean and ready (2 double beds). The indoor pool was fantastic---we used it that night and the next morning. We had breakfast in the restaurant, and the server was very friendly and understanding about 3 rambunctious little boys. Everyone worked hard to make this a great experience for my family----I am very grateful. I will definitely return again (sans nephews). The hotel was clean and beautiful, and everything was perfect. Thank you!

Grandville, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

My experience with this hotel began at check-in when the young lady at the front desk told me that my husband had called to cancel the room and I did not have a room reserved. This is very troubling considering it was a group reservation for 13 rooms, with one point of contact - me! She was able to put me in a room with the rest of my group, so crisis averted, but that fact that she told such a lie - and for no apparent reason - gave me a very poor first impression of the hotel. That impression still lingers.

This was a 2-night stay and on our first morning, I hung the "Privacy Please" sign on the door. I was rooming with 2 11-year-old boys whose stuff was everywhere and I really didn't want anyone in the room. We returned to the hotel to find our towels refreshed, the beds made, and other housekeeping chores performed - and the "Privacy Please" sign still on the door. So much for privacy in this hotel!!

On a more positive note, it is a very nice and clean property. The beds were comfortable, the rooms were clean, and it was a very comfortable stay. Our hotel representative was very accommodating to our group and was very able to anticipate our group needs. One family in our group had to check out early due to a family emergency at home and the hotel was very accommodating.

Overall, the stay was good. In fact, my boys did not want to leave on Sunday. I just wish that the staff could have been more professional.

Room Tip: The king room with a sofa sleeper makes for tight quarters when the other bed is pulled out. And th...
Ann Arbor, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We stayed there one night on a Saturday, but found the floor we were initially assigned to too noisy due to kids running around. We called the front desk and the staff was nice enough to move us to a club floor. Unfortunately the elevator made so sharp beeping sound throughout the evening and night that we could not sleep well even though out room was not next to the elevator. Seems that something was wrong.

Room Tip: find a room far from the elevator
West Bloomfield, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Priceline gave this hotel 3.5 stars (the second highest in the area), so we gave it a shot when our house was being painted and the fumes over-whelmed us. As the previous poster stated, the hotel is in a great location, and that is where the positives end. The biggest problem with this hotel is the noise level. The walls must be extremely thin as we too could hear every conversation in the hall, all night long. A combination of boys' hockey teams, girls' gymnastic teams and a wedding in the banquet hall led to a sleep-less night, as people roamed the halls all night long (the rock hard beds, did not help matters either). As stated, we live in the area, so I don't have first hand knowledge of other hotels, but I would recommend choosing a different one, if I were looking in this area again.

Room Tip: Choose an end room, far from the elevators, as hall noise is a big problem with this establishment.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sheraton Detroit Novi? Share your experiences!