“A good value” 4 of 5 stars

Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Novi
“A good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

For $89 and tax this was a good value. The hotel has changed hands, the shower tile is last generation, but the room was spotless, as was the lobby, although a bit cluttered with "new age" decor," a very friendly and pleasant check in/out process, nice staff, and a comfortable bed. For $89 you can't get much better. There are little things: too many smokers leaving LOTS of cigarette butts and trash outside the hotel where they go to smoke. Hallway carpets could have used a bit of vacuuming. A large room service party had trays and smelly food delivery boxes from some catering company stacked outside on my floor, very unattractive as you come off the elevator. that is just watching and paying attention. Otherwise, you can't complain.

Room Tip: Away from vending rooms, ice machines and elevators.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Northville, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

The hotel is conveniently located near good restaurants and shopping centers, but is still quiet, rooms are spacious, bed is very comfy, the hotel staff is extemely friendly and professional. Price is a bargain for what the hotel offers. There is also a good size pool with a jacuzzy. I also enjoy excersing and this hotel has a good size gym, which was recently remodeled.

I greatly recommend this place for business and family trips. Never have had a bad experience at this place. I do not write hotel reviews at all but this time, I felt compelled to express my experience at this place.

Room Tip: If you like quiet rooms like me, ask for a room away from the vending machines. Always treat the sta...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Konstanz, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

This was my second stay at the Sheraton Detroit Novi, accompanying my hubby who stays there for business, and this really is a business hotel.

The reception staff were really friendly and helpful (particularly the morning the freeway was closed and two people helped me find another way to where I needed to go, printing me maps and really helping) and remembered us by name - asking after my husband when I checked in.

We had a very comfortable room on the SPG floor with a lovely king sized bed. No complaints about the room at all, it was a good size with a decent bathroom. The SPG "lounge" was a few doors down and, let's be honest, it's not all that. It's about the size of two guest rooms knocked together and is often very crowded (especially at breakfast). There's a waffle machine in there at breakfast, but no other hot food. There is a good selection of cold food and a new coffee machine (which decided it didn't want to work for me), there is also brewed Starbucks coffee in big thermos flasks.

We ate downstairs one night in the restaurant and it was fine, no complaints. Breakfast was included in our room rate and I had breakfast in the restaurant one morning - lots of selection and friendly staff. There was a children's ice hockey team staying and they went through the buffet like a plague of locusts, but it was constantly replenished.

There's an On The Border and a Chilli's restaurant within walking distance across the hotel car park, and parking at the hotel is free. There's a gym and an indoor pool, which I didn't use, but I did use the pool last time (in the heat of summer) and it was FREEZING, so I'm guessing they only heat it in winter.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Raleigh NC USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Our group reserved a block of rooms, I did not choose this hotel, and having stayed here, if I were to return to this area I would NOT choose this hotel, based on my experience.

I was astonished on arrival ( reservation in hand ) to actually have the person behind the desk attempting to badger me out of the room I reserved ( two beds) in lieu of a different room, as they were "real busy" and "needed rooms like mine for someone else". Further, she demanded to know why I wouldnt accept a single bed, who else was sleeping in the room and their names, etc. (eg proof that a single bed wasnt going to work) before finally relenting and giving me what I had reserved and asked for, but not before managing to make me wish I were staying someplace else. If I were a solo traveler and not part of a block of 20 rooms I would have walked right out the door, period. Frankly, I was stunned and confused and ready to ask for the manager but, I was afraid it might have been the manager that was checking me in so I held my ground and went off to my room.

I travel a lot. I've had hotels that lost rooms in fires so they were short rooms, places short on staff so rooms were not ready, found people sleeping in what was supposed to be an empty room, bugs, dirt and more reservation foul-ups etc. than you can shake a stick at. I am very very cool with the fact that "stuff happens" and pretty agreeable to reasonable requests but I have never before walked into a hotel that essentially made me feel like I was unwelcome from the git-go as quickly as this one. I hate Drama and I'm fairly thick-skinned, if a business manages to polarize my opinion in a negative way, they really had to earn it and earn it they did in a hurry.

The actual hotel is your typical large convention/ meeting room/ ballroom mill. Nothing special. My room was adequate, bathrooms on the small side. Again nothing special. Walls are thin and noise was an issue. Breakfast was adequate.

I made the mistake of actually looking at the air vent at the end of the hallway and it appeared to have collected every piece of lint and dust that ever passed through it since it was new, dating back to the polyester Leisure Suit era.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dayton, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Priceline sold me a room that wasn't available - when I complained to the desk clerk he gave me a better room, free breakfast for my entire stay and free internet service.
The restaurant staff were friendly and attentive keeping dishes cleared and mugs full. Even bringing me a choise of local newspapers when I didn't want the WSJ or USA Today.
Noise between rooms is a bit of a problem as I heard the 7 am wake up call for the room next door.
Clean and comfortable with a very friendly staff.

Room Tip: Just call the hotel and ask them to match the internet price. You'll know what you're gettin...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dearborn Heights, Mi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

When a hotel chain begins to struggle they usually charge the consumer with little extras that add up. This hotel charges the consumer $9.95 for each and every device connected to the Internet. I thought it was a mistake surely a one time Internet charge for wifi access would be sufficient. I was wrong. If your looking for a hotel that allows you to work from the comfort of your hotel room without being overcharged, this is not the place for you. Holiday inn is across the street free wifi.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Mount Airy, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

We stayed on the club floor. However, there was nothing special about this room. The club lounge had slightly more for breakfast than the free breakfasts at other motels. The room was very crowded during breakfast & many times there was no place to sit. So, don't waste your money on the club level.
The staff was wonderful and made up for the tired rooms.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Sheraton Detroit Novi? Share your experiences!