“A Little Bit of Heaven in the Midst of Congestion” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Up To 25,000 Points
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Novi
Okemos, Michigan
“A Little Bit of Heaven in the Midst of Congestion”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We stayed here to spend time with relatives visiting from Colorado and to be near our Aunt and Uncle and planned activities. It turned out to be a wonderful surprise.
I had driven by this hotel without even realizing it as the entrance is off a drive around Twelve Oaks Mall in Novi. I had never paid any attebtion to it. Luckily, my brother and his wife made reservations here. It was a wonderful home base for 2 nights.
The weekend rates are incredible for this hotel. It is a Marriott Renaissance Hotel that is a welcoming, beautiful respite in the middle of very, very busy Novi! The lobby area is beautifully modern with a great fireplace that is also part of the grille where all meals are offered.. There are several seating areas overlooking an attractive multi-level court yard.
The staff is professional, very friendly and helpful. They go out of their way to ensure your comfort. We were able to upgrade to the Premium Floor to be near our relatives. We did not see a difference between our first room, 101, and our subsequent room 327 .101 is kitty corner from the elevator. The third floor is accessed by key card which is great for women travelers.Our relatives had a room I believe was designed for foreign visitors. Their bathroom featured a toilet with a heated seat and control panel, yes, control panel. The shower/tub was raised and a bit difficult to access. The step inside the smaller than usual tub is a bit dangerous with no color marking to alert first time users. My 6'6" husband would have hit his head on the shower/tub ceiling. I'm guessing the tub is designed to be a soaker tub. The bath is a bit unusual, but wasn't a problem for them.
Our rooms were immaculate with modern furnishings including a chaise lounge. Our king sized bed was extremely comfortable with a multitude of pillows. There is a microwave ,fridge and coffee/tea maker. Large choice of coffee, tea and even hot chocolate pods. The room was very quiet even with a somewhat rattley heater/air conditioner out in the hall next to our end of the hall room. We never heard it inside the room at all.
The floors enclose a Courtyard in a large rectangle. There are seating areas in various spots.
The breakfast plan on weekends is a real treat. There is a grill and market for meals throughout the day. We had very interesting and creative meals for dinner and Staurday's breakfast. Some in our group had Lake Huron Trout Hash with Pinconning Cheese with eggs for breakfast. They proclaimed it delcious. I had the baked stuffed french toast that included nutella. Very good. This is not your usual hotel restaurant. The market offers various cheeses, meats , Michigan food products and a large wine selection.
There are meeting rooms and we learned they even host wedding receptions. We did not view those rooms.
If you're looking for a great lodging option in the Detroit area, seriously consider this. We paid the same amount for a Traverse City Comfort Inn nowhere near the water last Winter. The Comfort Inn was very nice, but doesn't come close to this.
Occassionally, we stay in the area to be tourists in our own State. This is on Novi Road just off Rt 96. Novi was originally the #6 stage coach stop between Detroit and Lansing. We only live an hour away, but my first choice in the future for a home base there will be this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Cary, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I wholeheartedly recommend this hotel. I've stayed many times and have never been disappointed. The redecorated lobby is beautiful and inviting, as are the lovely outdoor patios. Rooms are exceptionally clean, quiet and comfortable. Courteous and professional staff, excellent service, never a problem checking in or out. Convenient snack area with coffee and munchies for purchase.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here 3 nights. Smokers in room near mine smoked each night. This is a smoke free hotel. Complained but it was not taken care of. Smoking went on each night. Went to restaurant on site first morning, was seated but not offered a menu. Sat there about 5 minutes. Finally server came over and asked if I needed anything. I said that a menu would be nice and some water. She said she just assumed I wanted buffet. Service after that was not the best. Servers just stood around and chatted a lot. Never asked if i wanted refill on my coffee and I didnt even have a free breakfast coupon!The room was clean and comfortable. Fitness center good but TVs on machines not all working. Front desk staff went out of way to help me with questions about parking and the area, they were excellent!

• Stayed October 2012
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

I've been a business traveler since 2001 with Platinum Elite status at Marriott. This is one of my favorite locations for business travel.

The service has been extraordinary. Koren, Brittney, Aaron, and David are the regulars at the front desk I’ve dealt with the most. Each of them have “gone the extra mile” for me on several occasions. All you regular business travelers know the value of walking into a hotel and the staff call you by name when you walk in the door. That is the quality of service you’ll receive here.

The rooms are tastefully decorated. I love the large desks that allow me to work comfortably. The beds are wonderful!! The onsite restaurant has a tasty breakfast buffet that I'm sure to enjoy each morning and the dinner menu right at gourmet quality.

The onsite gym is great. Free weights, treadmills, and a cycle machine are available. The ice machine in the gym is a must appreciated touch!!

The elevators do need some work. They move slowly between the floors.

Room Tip: Tell the staff what you desire, and they will provide. They actually provide me the same room whene...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Reynoldsburg, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I stayed in July 2012. I am a Marriott Rewards Member ( Makes no difference to this location) Okay the rooms are modernly decorated. They have a motor city theme. ( Pictures of cars etc.) with a oriental design. This was my third stay. The property has a parking area that is in desperate need of repaving. It takes away from the beauty of the location. About 3-4 floors. Upon check-in for the third time. The front desk people tend to be young and very arrogant. ( I know this is supposed to be a sort of upscale location, but...) They don't thank you for staying, they were basically having a personal discussion that I interupted. Okay close to chain resturants, Olive Garden, Please try Famous Dave's if you like BBQ. (Very Awesome). Please ask the front desk person for directions, its across the freeway. The "Imagine Theater" is awesome, they have the simulator seats. ( They have sound and vibrate, very cool for action movies), There is the "Twelve Oaks Mall" , they have your standard mall shops, ( Bath, body works, Macy's, there might be an Apple Store) The room service is very good. The food is awesome. They are very accomodating. The wine list isn't bad either. Your staying near a very popular and well accessible mall area. I feel that this is the best property in the area. If you can overlook the snooty, unattentive front desk, The staff needs to get a lesson in dealing with Guests looking for a higher end experience. The hotel has a higher end boutique desire, but falls short because of the rude staff. I am appalled that at check-out I sat in the info center using the computer and ahd to listen to two of the front desk girls and the housekeeping girl ramble on about some drama situation. Professionalism at this property is not emphasized, which sucks, when you are paying an average of $120,00 a night plus ( if you order room service). Which is a nice amount for the Detroit area. ( The area has really gone down in the past few years), I think three strikes, "Your Out"!!! I won't return. the "Staybridge Suites", down the road was a lot better choice.

Room Tip: Small Hotell with 3-4 floors. Ask for a room closer to the main entrance, Very few elevators. I thin...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Dunedin, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

This was the venue for the wedding of my nephew. The affair was great, though the main course was not served hot, just barely warm. The room was of adequate size, but no bathtub. I freaked. Even cheap hotels have bathtubs and this is not necessarily a cheap bathtub. They moved me to a handicapped room which had a tub, though the regular room certainly had a bath big enough to accommodate the same little bath as was in the handicapped. The hotel was attractive, and the restaurant seemed good, though I did not eat there. No pool. Very close to a big mall with many nice stores. Far from downtown Detroit. The 2nd room they gave us was dusty and not as well furnished as the first. There was a refrigerator and coffee maker which we used daily. No link to the airport other than cab or car rental. There is a large gap at the bottom of the hall door to the room permitting any hall noise to penetrate the room easily.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

This is my new favorite hotel in suburban Detroit..better than the Royal Park. Great rooms, amazing breakfast in the connected restaurant (Toasted Oak), terrific workout facilities, and helpful front desk staff. It's also right near the 12 Oaks Mall - so you can get your errands done while on business travel.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Baronette Renaissance Detroit-Novi Hotel? Share your experiences!