“Nice bear ranch” 4 of 5 stars

Clare, Michigan
6 attraction reviews
“Nice bear ranch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We took a drive over to the bear ranch from our cabin in Paradise because it sounded so interesting. It was a nice surprise when we got there-not sure what I was expecting. It was a little further of a drive than I thought it would be. It was very interesting to see the bears at the different ages that they have. I thought the entrance fee was a little high for what you saw-although you do not see bear everyday. The cubs were adorable and the older bears were cute as well.

Visited September 2013

New York, United States
7 attraction reviews
“Over the Moon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

I was and still am over the moon in love with these bears. It was so awesome to pet a cub bear. She was so cute

Appomattox, VA
32 attraction reviews
“Pet A Cub, Take Home A Photo”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

They care for orphaned black bears here, and though this attraction does not have all the bells and whistles of generously endowed facilities, they make the most of what they do have. By visiting this ranch, you can help fund the efforts of people who have dedicated their lives to caring for black bears. The enclosures are properly maintained, bears are well fed, provided running water in pools, and a winter habitat including natural dens for hibernation in acres of facilities that are not overcrowded.
One way they raise money is to sell apple slices for you to feed some of the bears; then there is their gift shop; still another way is to charge a small price for taking a photo (with your camera) of you and your group with a cub; and yet another is a golf cart tour for handicapped. One of our group was physically limited, and we were lucky enough to ride with Mr. Oswald, himself. He was gracious to offer answers to our many questions while telling us about the bears they have there and how they care for them. It was a good visit.

Dearborn, Michigan
“Great place to visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I read the reviews on here before we headed on our weekend journey up north. I must say that I think that some people on this site are pretty harsh. For those that complain that $20 admission to see bears that you normally wouldn't see must not get out much! Seriously we paid $120 in Sault Ste. Marie to take a boat ride. We paid $10 to walk up a sand dune at Sleeping Bear Dunes and another $10 to drive through a park to see a great view. I'm not saying that these other trips weren't worth it, but put the $20 into perspective. They are feeding 29 bears which probably weigh on average 400 lbs each. The Oswald's aren't getting rich off of these bears. They are taking care of animals that would otherwise be killed.

As far as the $10 for the pictures, I paid $20 for a single picture at an amusement park that has a copywrite protection. This picture is on MY camera and I can print it as many times as I want. They did a great job of taking the picture and even managed to have our whole party of five with their eyes open and smiling. Not to mention being able to touch the bear cub. My 6 year old still hasn't stopped talking about it. Yes, they usher you in and out. This is a wild animal. I understand that the fruit loops are a distraction. I guess I'm not sure what people expect.

While the gift shop may not have a huge selection, it was by far the cheapest souvenier shop we saw on our trip. We got great t-shirts for both boys for $15 each with a beautiful bear picture. My 6 year old got a bear stuffed animal that he immediately named "Charlie." For only $3 you can buy a bag of apples to feed to the bears. This was the best money I spent all weekend.

We definitely will be back to visit Oswald's next summer. This is an experience you will not soon forget. Even at a zoo you can't get this close to the bears.

Newberry, MI
23 attraction reviews
“Lots of fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We took our 4 year old granddaughter to see the bears this weekend. Lots of bears and lot of fun! She got to feed the cub and pet it, as well as walk around and see the other bears in their wonderful enclosures. Very clean and well kept facility. A great family activity.