“Nice stay” 4 of 5 stars

12956 State Route M-28, Newberry, MI 49868   |
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Newberry
“Nice stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

Spent 2 nights here. Rooms are clean, pool area is spacious and clean, staff is friendly. Close the the main road, so easy access to everything (keeping in mind that everything is a long drive in the UP).

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Cadillac, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed here after traveling from across the UP. We decided to stay at this motel because of the indoor pool and hot tub. Upon arrival we were greeted by a very friendly staff. After registering for our room ($104.95 for 3 people) we went to find our room. The room itself was very clean and basic. There was no fridge or microwave. However, there was a coffeemaker. The beds were extremely firm and no pillowtop mattresses. We did find the hot tub and pool area to be very clean and well maintained. Also, the pool was adult only from 10:00 pm to Midnight. The next morning we did find a small breakfast to be available but we opted for McDonalds for a bit more variety! Again, if a basic motel that is clean and friendly with a small breakfast (coffee and toast...) is what you want this is a great place to stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

I have traveled to the UP for many years and this place truly stands out! I would definitely stay here again! The service and courtesy extended to me on this trip was exceptional! The room was very clean and well appointed.

• Stayed July 2013
Plainwell, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We have stayed here many times before and it is always top notch! They have a spacious pool and spa area, as well as video games for the kids. This stay we stayed in a room we had previously not seen. It had a king b-room, a queen b-room, and a pull-out in a huge living room. With 17 and 11 year old boys it works great - everyone has their own space. The room also had a full kitchen and spacious bathroom. We called and was able to come early running from a nightmare hotel in Marquette and they were able to accommodate us and made it a quick turn around to our bigger room the follow (original) date reserved. The staff is very friendly and we love coming here.

Room Tip: Get one of their suites if you have kids- it's the only way to go!!! We loved it.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Grand Rapids, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

pool was nice for the kids, room was spacious for the seven of us. , loved the falls, went to the soo locks. Breakfast could improve. bring kitchen supplies, if you plan on cooking in the large suite. if you want great color, should go the first weekend in october.

Room Tip: large room does not accomodate pets. smaller rooms will, however must call first and onlyu small dog...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Brighton, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

August 25th -The only redeeming quality about this place is that they are pet firendly for an extra $10 - $15. The comfort in was booked so believe me when I tell you this was about the only choice besides Zellars, which I had little to no info about. I had stayed at one of these in Wisconsin one time (it was booked for me by my boss at the time) so I thought it would be OK. Breakfast is a joke! Makes a hampton Inn or similar breakfast seem like the Grand breakfast at the Grand Hotel! A few boxes of frosted flakes and Cherios, a few frozen sweet rolls and coffee I wouldn't serve to my dog (yes, I am a coffee snob) but walking by the "breakfast nook" I actually heard folks berating the coffee. I'm not a doughnut eater, and despite advertising the availability of said sweet doughyness on a sign at the front desk - there were none to be found. We paid jjust under $100 for our room for one night - which was astronomically high for the older, worn room - maybe we were provided a sub-par room because we had our dog with us - I can only go on my own experience. The bedspreads are ancient and disgusting. The blankets the beds were made up with are all "pilled", I think thats the term. The Tv was ancient - surprised it even worked. The A/C sounded like a tank.My advice if you have to stay here, immediately remove the bedspread and request another sheet to enclose the blanket in - that way you won't have to touch it because you'll have the original bed sheet and the new sheet sandwiching the blanket. I wore my flipflops in the shower just to be safe. The front desk person was extremely rude to my 12 year old son, who may not be an angel but is soft spoken, and extremely respectful to adults.

Room Tip: Rooms on the other side of town may be better!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Grand Haven, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

This hotel is not worth the money. After having to walk around people drinking in the parking lot to check in they actually charged us $10 to have our 15 yr. old son stay with us. We left the window open at night, we were on the second floor. We woke up in the middle of the night to a loud,profanity laced party going on in the parking lot. The hotel clerk had to see both of these incidents and did nothing. The beds are hard, the carpet is wrinkled, the breakfast only goes from 7am to 9 am and is very minimal. We will not be staying in this hotel or any other America's Best again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Americas Best Value Inn - Tahquamenon Country? Share your experiences!