“good value, close to the falls” 3 of 5 stars

Americas Best Value Inn - Tahquamenon Country
12956 State Route M-28, Newberry, MI 49868   |
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Newberry
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“good value, close to the falls”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

pool was nice for the kids, room was spacious for the seven of us. , loved the falls, went to the soo locks. Breakfast could improve. bring kitchen supplies, if you plan on cooking in the large suite. if you want great color, should go the first weekend in october.

Room Tip: large room does not accomodate pets. smaller rooms will, however must call first and onlyu small dog...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Brighton, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

August 25th -The only redeeming quality about this place is that they are pet firendly for an extra $10 - $15. The comfort in was booked so believe me when I tell you this was about the only choice besides Zellars, which I had little to no info about. I had stayed at one of these in Wisconsin one time (it was booked for me by my boss at the time) so I thought it would be OK. Breakfast is a joke! Makes a hampton Inn or similar breakfast seem like the Grand breakfast at the Grand Hotel! A few boxes of frosted flakes and Cherios, a few frozen sweet rolls and coffee I wouldn't serve to my dog (yes, I am a coffee snob) but walking by the "breakfast nook" I actually heard folks berating the coffee. I'm not a doughnut eater, and despite advertising the availability of said sweet doughyness on a sign at the front desk - there were none to be found. We paid jjust under $100 for our room for one night - which was astronomically high for the older, worn room - maybe we were provided a sub-par room because we had our dog with us - I can only go on my own experience. The bedspreads are ancient and disgusting. The blankets the beds were made up with are all "pilled", I think thats the term. The Tv was ancient - surprised it even worked. The A/C sounded like a tank.My advice if you have to stay here, immediately remove the bedspread and request another sheet to enclose the blanket in - that way you won't have to touch it because you'll have the original bed sheet and the new sheet sandwiching the blanket. I wore my flipflops in the shower just to be safe. The front desk person was extremely rude to my 12 year old son, who may not be an angel but is soft spoken, and extremely respectful to adults.

Room Tip: Rooms on the other side of town may be better!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Grand Haven, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

This hotel is not worth the money. After having to walk around people drinking in the parking lot to check in they actually charged us $10 to have our 15 yr. old son stay with us. We left the window open at night, we were on the second floor. We woke up in the middle of the night to a loud,profanity laced party going on in the parking lot. The hotel clerk had to see both of these incidents and did nothing. The beds are hard, the carpet is wrinkled, the breakfast only goes from 7am to 9 am and is very minimal. We will not be staying in this hotel or any other America's Best again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Grand Rapids, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

We have a yearly weekend family gathering at a small cottage that isn't large enough for all to sleep there, so my husband and I stay at a local hotel. The only time we are at the hotel is at night to sleep and for breakfast in the AM. We opted for this one the last 2 years. We likely will not return. Beds were hard. Provided breakfast was skimpy-toast, 2 kinds of cereal, and donuts that were tasteless, juice and coffee. Only 2 tables for those eating. We carried ours to our room to eat. Front desk attendant was also responsible for replenishing the breakfast items. Often items needed to be refilled and weren't as the attendant was busy at the desk, or, people waited at the front desk for service while the attendant worked on replenishing breakfast items. We will look elsewhere next year and this is definitely NOT America's best value!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Lansing, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

The title alone should scare you away from this place. It is disgusting. There is a very good reason why this place had so many vacant rooms while the Comfort Inn hotel down the street was sold out. The carpet is bunching up in places, the pain is peeling off the walls, the rooms smell musty and the beds are disgusting. It is like they pulled the mattresses out of the dumpster. Not to mention the white crusty stain on the blanket under the bed spread. Furthermore, I was traveling for work and we are not allowed to go over the per diem rate. When I tried to check in the front desk person told me that they do not give discounted rates during the summer. This is the middle over no where and in the middle of the week, I explained the situation and said "are you sure?". She was sure. So, while I stood in the lobby, I went to their website from my phone and pulled up the discounted rate on my phone then showed it to her. She said "Oh, I was confused. I thought you said 2 people instead of just one (I did not)". What that had to do with a discounted rate in the summer, I have no idea. Either way, she was full of it. I should have stayed in another town.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
tannerlou, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - Tahquamenon Country, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
We are very sorry to hear that you were not pleased with your stay. We have reviewed your comments with our staff so any further problems can be avoided. We appreciate you sharing your comments so we can use them to improve our services.
Sandusky, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

This motel is in the middle of nowhere and is WAY overpriced! The beds are rock-hard. There were ants crawling on us while we were in the room. We went for the advertised breakfast at 8:20 to find there was only cereal there. They are supposed to have wi-fi but it rarely worked and was very slow when it did. We had originally planned to stay for two nights but could barely stay for one. There isn't much to choose from in the way of lodging in Newberry, but this is not a good choice!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thanks for taking the time to leave your comments and we apologize that you were not happy with your stay. We do have an exterminator that sprays every room once a month as well as the exterior of the property. During the summer months, it can be difficult to control bugs in Northern Michigan and we are very sorry. As far as the breakfast, we do offer a full continental breakfast daily until 9 AM and refill it continously and by request should an item be missing. Again we are sorry you were not pleased and hope you will give us another opportunity in the future.
Waterford, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

This hotel is a good deal for the price. It is the only hotel with a pool in the area and the kids really enjoyed it in the evenings. The staff is very nice and helpful. The hotel is clean and they offer a small continental bfast for those interested. Now for the concerns: the beds, as stated in previous posts, are not comfortable. It would be similar to sleeping on the floor. The box springs are broke or just creak really bad and the mattress is old.

If you can get past this issue, it was a nice hotel to stay at and we would stay here again, with the kids.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for leaving your comments and we are very happy to hear that you were satisfied with our hotel and our staff. Please come see us again in the future.

Been to Americas Best Value Inn - Tahquamenon Country? Share your experiences!