“Off season nice” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Morris, Illinois
“Off season nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

During the busy summer season the Marina Grand can be costly with min. nightly stays so we have never stayed before. However, on travels to northern Michigan we stopped for the night. It was very quite and not full at all. The nightly rate was considerably lower than the summer and we stayed in a 1 bdrm with loft. There was ample room for my husband and I and the 4 kids. We had a full kitchen and 1.5 baths. The room itself was very well decorated. Stacked with books, games, potential video rentals our time was very well occupied. The pool was very small and not great for non-swimmers. If you have little ones you will need to have a lifevest, floaties or hold them. They did have a small hot tub and rest rooms. The pool is indoor so the rainy night did not interfere with our play time. The Marina Grand also offers a gaming area that was a nice surprise! It boasted a pingpong table and foose (sp?) ball table. It wasn't full of video games which is a nice break from coins, tickets and cheap prizes. The do have a nice restuarant with an ample wine selection. One appitizer of goat cheese and flat bread touched all the pallet and the children loved it! We ended up going to Timothy's at the Gordon Beach Inn for dinner (up the main road take a left at Skip's and follow it down) and had a great time. They always make us feel welcome and treat the children well. They have the most increadible gorgozola bacon dressing! We had a wonderful time during our 1 night stay, I would caution families with real young children that the loft is not baby proof. The rails are easy to crawl under or over and that is all that seperates them from the first floor.

Room Tip: Go off season and call last minute.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Grand Haven, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2011

The room was nice (loved the fireplace), enjoyed the free coffee and iced tea for our trip home was a nice touch. The staff was very friendly and I especially appreciated that the front desk clerk mailed me a jacket I had left in the closet. It warmed up over night and I didn't even realize until the next day that I had forgot my coat at the resort. I called and they mailed it to me the same day. That was great customer service!! We will be back!

Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2011

We stayed at the Marina Grand for a quick getaway. The one bedroom suite perched on the edge of Lake Michigan. Comfy chairs on a private patio invited visitors to sip their coffee and admire the view. The suite had everything: nice bed, a sofa bed, 2 flatscreen TVs, a tub, shower, powder room, full kitchen, gas fireplace. The hotel restaurant, the Bentwood Tavern, was fab: good food, nice beers... even enjoyed the background music. Will be back. Soon.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2011

Let me start by saying that I usually stay @ the sister property The Harbor Grand. This was my first experience with the Marina Grand. Not a real fan. While the property is nice, the Harbor is way more intimate if that's what your looking for.

This resort is nice for families. The rooms were ok, walls very thin. I could hear every sound in the hallway. Don't get a room by the elevators, OMG! very loud. The hotel lobby was nice, check in was smooth, parking was ok, room had a nice large balcony. The restaurant was nice, pool nice. I can see how this property works well for families in the summer months.

Overall, this property was nice, just not for couples!

Room Tip: ask for a room furthest from the elevators.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2010

We stayed at the Marina Grand over Spring Break. It was an impromptu, mid week stay, so rates were reasonable. The weather didn't cooperate so we couldn't enjoy the marina or beach but we thoroughly enjoyed full use of our suite. We made our meals. Played games. Enjoyed the pool. Rented DVDs. The beds were to DIE FOR :-) We just really enjoyed each other as a family in this beautiful setting. Will definitely stay again! Weekend/season prices do make it kind of prohibitive, however.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Taylor, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2010

Check in was very easy and Keenan was in a great mood. It's nice to be greeted by someone who loves their job and the company they work for. Very clean rooms and spacious areas. Love the fireplace! Can't wait to visit the cute little downtown tomorrow just down the street. What a great place! I LOVE the trendy room decor.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2010

I realize that my previous review of Marina Grand was less than stellar, but this trip really made up for it 1000%.
Adam, the front desk clerk was a pleasure to talk to from the get go. He was helpful, informative, and funny.
We were coming in because my husband has a client in the area and would be working nearby for 2 days. Essentially, I would be stuck in the room for these 2 days. We had to book the least expensive room as it was on the company dime, but all I had to do was ask and Jasmine (the other front desk clerk) upgraded us to a 1 bedroom suite. She understood that we couldnt ask the company to pay the extra money for it, but it would be great to have since I'd be in the room most of the time. I also have to mention that my husband ended up working much later than expected on our check out day, and although check out is meant to be at 12 noon, they were so understanding, and happy to extend me the courtesy of checking out much later than that (5:30pm) at no additional charge. I'm not sure if they would have been okay with this were it not the "off season" and if the hotel were at capacity, but they were very accomodatiing this time, and I really appreciated it.

The rooms were nicer than I remembered. A lush down blanket covered the pillow top bed (I can't remember the last time I slept so well), the bath tub was nice and deep (perfect for a long bath), and the livingroom and kitchen had all we needed to make ourselves comfortable.
LOVE that the coffeeshop/ store downstairs served COMPLIMENTARY coffee and tea to hotel guests, and although I didn't take advantage of it this time, I LOVE that they have bottles of wine and other miscellaneous items for sale down there.
The first day of my stay, I ended up taking the FREE shuttle bus on over to the casino to donate a little money. When I somehow missed the bus, Adam called them up and they had no problem turning around to get me. It was door to door (pleasant) service, and I couldn't have asked for more.
Marina Grand is quickly becoming one of our "home away from home" type of vacation spots, and with the excellent service, I'm sure we'll be visiting here for years to come.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business

Been to Marina Grand Resort? Share your experiences!