“A real nice surprise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of O'Brien Inn & Resort

Save Saved
You added O'Brien Inn & Resort to your Saves list
O'Brien Inn & Resort
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11539 O_Brien Court, New Buffalo, MI 49117 (Formerly Comfort Inn)   |
Ranked #9 of 9 hotels in New Buffalo
indianapolis
“A real nice surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2009

I have stayed at this hotel some years back when it was a franchise while we visited the New Buffalo area for the beaches and resort style town. I must say, I hesitated when I saw the negative reviews here, but in my opinion the O'Brien Inn is much better now. My room was a king suite with a big jaccuzi style tub, new tile, fold out couch and plenty of space. The hallways were clean and quiet. The hotel and grounds were overall clean, quiet and was very, very nice for the cost during the "high season" in Lake Michigan's Harbor Country area. The lobby was remodeled, had a great breakfast buffet and the staff was more than friendly, hard working and accomodating of my every need and question. The swimming pool is now indoors with pool tables and video games along with a big outdoor patio with a gas grill and a giant party grill too. It is a bit off the beaten path from the beach, but it is right off I94 and close to the new casino. The owners appear to have a golf course and restaurant as a part of the resort company but I did not take advantage of it. Beware of the speed limit going into the town, it's enforced at 25mph! I don't know why others didn't have a good experience, but I would highly recommend this hotel to others and stay there again myself.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo

40 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2009

The day I left the resort I realized that I left my business phone behind but was already to far to turn around. When I got back to my house and called immediately. They said they have it and it will cost $10.00 to ship it back. I gladly gave my credit card number and the front desk lady said it will ship out tomorrow.

I called on Monday to verify it was shipping out and to explain how badly I needed this back because I was going to be traveling for a week starting Friday. I called Wednesday morning to get a tracking number and the front desk clerk said she thinks it went out today maybe on Tuesday. I explained I called it in on Sunday, called back on Monday and it is going out today. She asked for my number to verify the shipment date. When she called back she got my voice mail and said it shipped regular mail today.

When I returned her phone call and asked how this happened she said it took this long to package it for shipping. When I asked for the managers name she said she is gone for the next two days. How a convenient!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
obrieninn, management at O'Brien Inn & Resort, responded to this review, April 27, 2009
I would like to apologize for the untimely return of this guest's package, however I would like to assure that this package was mailed out by our main office as soon as they were available to do so.
Lasalle County, IL.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2009

I just stayed at this motel and I cant say anything bad about the staff or the rooms...I even thought the $118 for 2 nights for a jacuzzi room was a bargain! I did feel very spooked out! I got no sleep because I constantly kept waking to dark blobs and down right scary feelings...I am wondering if anyone else had this experience? Super Creepy

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
Fenton, MI
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2008

We were looking for a place with our Garmin, which unfortunately does not give reviews. When I called the number, the woman gave me a spiel about being able to give me this great rate just for tonight. When we arrived, she was doing the same with another caller, and I didn't realize why until we had committed to stay there.
It was a ghost town, and rightly so. I felt like I was on the set of "Psycho", but had paid WAY too much for the privilege.
Thank God we were too tired to look around much, but the total feeling was tacky, dirty and creepy.
The next morning we left and went to the Casino across the street, which by contrast was beautiful and fresh.
"O'Brien's Resort " is an expensive joke, and if they had any pride of ownership, they'd tear it down and start over.

• Liked — leaving it
  • Disliked — "Psycho" atmosphere
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
shar75, Hotel Manager at O'Brien Inn & Resort, responded to this review, February 27, 2009
Hello. I am the manager of this property and would like to post a response to this review as follows. I am assuming this guest stayed during the week when we are sometimes not as busy for him/her to say it is a ghost town.It could be true that the hotel was not packed if it was a weekday or an off season weekend. New Buffalo is a very popular tourist destination due to it's proximity to Chicago, the beach, state park, two casinos and many wineries, golf courses, shops and popular restaurants. The Inn is located one mile from town/beach as you get off the highway. We are set back off the highway after taking our private drive. The Inn is well lit and quiet. As stated in previous management responses I have been manager now for just a year and have along with the staff been working hard to make upgrades and provide the cleanest accomodations for our guests. When this guest states that she had a tacky feeling of the hotel I would like to say that while the property is a bit older and therefore more dated than some newer hotels it is well built and features unique qualities and character that is not alltogether tacky by any means. Having said that, I feel all guests are entitled to an opinion and have different ideas of what the hotel industry should offer. In regards to the customer service representative that assisted this guest, I can only think she was offering that evening's "best rate" as she is trained to do so, especially if we were not too busy on the evening this guest stayed, which I am assuming we were not based on this guest's assessment of the "ghost town" During this time of the year when this particular guest stayed we are just in the transition from higher seasonal rates to off season rates. I am truely sorry this guest had a "creepy ambiance" feeling to her/his experience at the resort. All I can really respond to that is that I have never been aware of any issues with unsavory characters in or around the hotel or any security breaches or issues.The Inn is in a "safe" area. It is a pretty fair sized location with longer hallways. I can say that I have stayed at many hotels and always feel a little erie walking around the hallways or exits late at night.
cincinnati
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2008

Unfortunately I did not read any of the other reviews before booking a one night stay at this hotel. The website is misleading. I could not connect to the internet, the two televisions did not work, the pool was filthy and the deluxe continental breakfast turned out to be doughnuts and coffee. After complaining to the manager, she said she would give us a credit for our next stay. I told her I would never stay there again. I asked to speak with the owner and she told me she could not give me that information.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Being duped by the misleading website
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
obrieninn, management at O'Brien Inn & Resort, responded to this review, September 18, 2008
In response to this review I would like to first state how sorry we are this guest was not satisfied with his recent stay at O'Brien Inn and Resort. Since this date we have installed a brand new and updated television system. The televisions in his suite did work, however he was only able to access limited channels. We offer wireless internet throughout the facility and also include complimentary computer usage in the lobby. Breakfast menu consists of a variety of items including, waffles, bagels, english muffins, danish, mini muffins, hard boiled eggs, oatmeal, cereals, coffee, juice, various teas and fruit. The pool is not dirty. It is up to standards and checked three times daily. Thank you for your reviews.
indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2008

Poor conditions all around. Staff rude, beds are horrible, air did not work properly. Reminded me of a poor motel wanting to be a resort. There is no resort about this other than the roach resort. You pay 5 times too much for this resort than it is worth. Drive 10 miles away and stay for less and much better.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
shar75, Hotel Manager at O'Brien Inn & Resort, responded to this review, February 26, 2009
In response to this review I would like to take the time to post a management response. This guest states that the A/C unit in their assigned guest room was not working properly. We have qualified maintenance staff on site or on call at all times. I wish this guest would have reported this major inconvienence as we are very serious about correcting issues such as these. All reported A/C/Heat units are replaced or repaired immediately upon report...idealy reported by staff and not guests! I am sorry this guest did not feel like he or she was charged a fair price for the accomodations recieved or that the resort did not seem to be of "resort" quality. We are a resort due to our affiliation with Whittaker Woods Golf Community and offer packages for golf and hotel stay.I wonder if this person stayed in a suite room or in one of the standard rooms which are set up as pretty basic hotel rooms. This guest stated she could have driven down the road to less expensive hotels, which may be true as New Buffalo is a very desirable location and rates on average are higher in resort towns as such, especially in summer season. Even so, we strive to provide the most reasonable rates for travelers wanting to visit our town as we do have 98 rooms to offer. Thank-you for your responses.
Chicago, IL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2008

I am not one for bad-mouthing, but this serves as a warning to others to pass on this one. It was by far the filthiest hotel room that I have ever been in. When we arrived, the clerk told us we had no room. However, I had our confirmation # and after about 15 minutes of panicked discussion, they were able to locate a room. Our daughter was tired and wanted to take a nap. Upon pulling back the sheets of the bed, she found lots of crumbs and chocolate in the sheets! We had to call to have both beds made - because it obviously was not done before we arrived. Under the bed, it was another nightmare... used condoms amongst other filth. My cousin, who was staying in another room, also found a used condom under her bed. By far, this was the worst experience we had ever had with a hotel. This is also part of the Best Western chain.

I'm sorry it took so long to write the review. I wasn't aware of the ability to do this. If I had been aware, I might have tried to use these websites to help me in my hotel selection.

Words to the wise: DON'T DO IT!

Stayed August 2007
As manager of this property I would like to point out this guest did not leave a post until after almost a year from the date she stayed, so therefore the review is dated June of 2008, when she actually stayed in August of 2007. As I have stated in previous responses to reviews of the inn we are under new management and have taken much pride in employing a new and dedicated cleaning staff. It is our main goal to provide the cleanest accomodations. Our manager of housekeeping is a very articulate woman and she and her team have been working very hard this past year to correct any past issues. I am confident that cleanliness at the inn is up to standards and beyond. Once again, I feel this is evidenced not only by personal inspection but also by that of our many repeat guests and their positive feedback.

Been to O'Brien Inn & Resort? Share your experiences!